1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pentel Sharp Kerry mechanical pencil

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by flatline, Dec 1, 2013.

1. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I just recently purchased a Pentel Sharp Kerry mechanical pencil in 0.5mm. This is not the kind of pencil I normally purchase, but over the years I've seen several posts on this and other forums about how loved this particular model pencil is, so I thought I'd give it a shot (it was also perfectly priced to get my Staples order over the threshold for free shipping).

So the gimmick about this pencil is that it's a mechanical pencil with a cap. You can use the pencil with or without the cap posted. When posted, the cap extends the clicky mechanism and, in fact, it posts so securely and integrates so well with the rest of the pencil that if you hand it to someone, they will probably never suspect that the posted cap comes off to even be a cap. Unposted, the pencil is very light. Posted, the pencil is a more typical weight with the weight just slightly forward of center which is perfectly acceptable

Without the cap posted, the pencil is just long enough for small or medium sized hands to use. With the cap posted, it is a regular length pencil that anyone can use.

The fit and finish are very nice and everything works perfectly. The clicky mechanism feels pretty cool and extends a consistent amount of lead with each click. The amount of lead advanced with each click is less than my other pencils so it takes 2 or 3 clicks to get an acceptable amount of lead to write with rather than my regular 1 or 2. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of. The clicky mechanism has a different feel than I'm accustomed to with mechanical pencils. It feels more like an expensive pen rather than a pencil. I like it. It somehow makes other mechanical advance mechanisms feel "cheap".

It's not obvious, but there is an eraser in the cap.

I do have two complaints:
    1. it only comes in 0.5mm and 0.7mm. The sizes I use most are 0.3mm and 0.9mm, so this pencil will probably be relegated to non-serious uses like grocery lists and such.
    2. the grip section is smooth plastic. My preference is for knurled or textured grip surfaces that I can grip very lightly. I can write with this, but I find myself gripping harder than I like.

In conclusion, this is a very neatly designed pencil whose flaws are only flaws because they don't match my preferences. I can see why others might be completely happy with this pencil.

--flatline

camit34 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looks nice. :) Thanks for the review. I'll probably skip this one. I don't like to grip hard. Tis the reason I am not a Parker Jotter fan.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review, Flatline, I'm going to check it out. Much appreciated! I use a TWSBI mechanical pencil ... No cap, but rock solid; unfortunately, it only comes in .5 and .7mm, too.

4. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I can't use the Jotter for exactly the same reason. It's smooth and tapers towards the tip, so the longer you use it, the more you slide down on it until it's too narrow to even hold anymore. I gave my Jotters to my wife (who has, most assuredly, lost them by now).

The Kerry tapers just a bit, but not enough that it causes trouble for me.

--flatline

Cobra 6 Actual and SAKplumber like this.
  5. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

Don't say this too loud. rsitter will be lurking! :frantic:

SAKplumber and T.H.Cone like this.
  6. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

That was funny!

Just for curiosity, what exactly do you guys use a 0.3mm pencil for? Is it very delicate to work with? Maybe it's because I'm a pre-pubescent sasquatch, but I can barely use a 0.5mm without breaking the lead every other minute.

Like a bull in a china cabinet.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  7. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I write small and always felt limited by the 0.5mm mechanical pencils that I used in high school. When I got to college, I discovered a 0.3mm pencil in the bookstore and immediately fell in love with it (I still have that pencil and use it frequently). I have a light touch and so never had any problem breaking leads and I found that the 0.3mm pencil never walked away from me since people would borrow it, break the lead once or twice, and then hand it back.

I was an avid gamer in high school and being able to write small and clearly was a huge advantage when trying fill in a character sheet. Pens were off limits since erasing was a necessity and it required constant rotating of the 0.5mm pencil to not have a flat edge against the paper. The 0.3mm pencil solved this handily. The next best thing was a wooden pencil or lead holder and a good sharpener.

If I'm just jotting down a list or something, any pencil will do. But if I'm doing serious work (design work, math, whatever), I find 0.5mm to be tolerable and 0.7mm to be intolerable. For some work, 0.9mm is my preference because it's easy to write small using the edge or big using the whole lead. I find this perfect for Kukuro or Sudoku puzzles. It seems like I should be able to do the same thing with 0.7mm, but try as I might, I can't do it. The edge simply doesn't last long enough to be useful.

--flatline

8. T.H.Cone

Thanks, Flatline. With a delicate touch like that, you should consider brain surgery.:D

9. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I used a fountain pen in high school when I could get away with it. Get yourself a fountain pen and you, too, will have a relatively light touch very quickly. Or else you'll have a broken fountain pen...

--flatline

10. T.H.Cone

This, I can assure you.:rofl:

11. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Flatline have you tried the Uni Kuru Tora mechanical pencils that autorotate the lead or anything similar? It'd drive me nuts to give a pencil a half turn after every couple words to get an even line, and that pencil solved the width issue for me. Personally I can't write on anything not backed by a hard surface with a .3 mm pencil and get a decently dark line, without breaking lead every few seconds.

12. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

I absolutely love the Kerry, even with the small lead size, I still think it's the most superior mechanical pencil I've ever used. I honestly thought that the cap was a bit of unnecessary fussiness when I first got it, but later learned to love that style to the extent that I wanted a pen that behaved exactly the same (sadly, I've yet to locate a suitable pen analog).

It just feels so substantial in your hands with or without the cap attached, but given my hand size I prefer the cap attached.

13. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've owned the Kuru Toga in 0.5mm and 0.3mm. The 0.5mm works fine and I keep it in my desk as a loaner. The 0.3mm pencil was a disaster for me as the sharp edge of the already extremely fine lead kept tearing through the paper. It got better when I switched from HB to 2B lead, but it still happened enough that I finally just gave the pencil away.

If you don't get a dark enough line using 2B lead in your 0.3mm pencil, you can't make it darker by using more pressure because, as you are well aware, you'll break the lead. What you can do is use slightly rougher paper so that more lead is scraped off. If that doesn't make it dark enough for you, then you'd probably better move up to a thicker lead that will tolerate more pressure.

When I need more contrast, I switch from my 0.3mm drafting pencils to a fountain pen.

--flatline

14. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Pilot S20.

nuff sed!

15. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I am in love with my PIlot S10s. Perhaps I'll get an S20 just to try it out.

--flatline

16. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Same basic design but the body is encased in cherry wood.

You know you want it! :playfull:

17. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

Cobra 6 Actual and T.H.Cone like this.
  18. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

FYI I have had one of these for over 20 years. In fact I think mine does not say Kerry on it. (EDIT: It says "Pentel 5") Anyway, it was one of my favorites in High School and a bit after until It broke. I forget how, but the barrel section before the tip broke and the pen was just unusable. I put it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Years later when I saw they were still made I decided to inquire about the part. I contacted Pentel and explained what I needed. They told me to send the pencil and they would repair it for free. I sent it and they returned it to me as good as new.

foxmo likes this.
  19. Kueh

Kueh Loaded Pockets

Good to hear that they have spare parts. The barrel on my old pencil is broken, but at the other end. Wonder if I can just buy the part?

20. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I seem to remember trying that. They wanted to see it. Contact them and see. Let us know how it goes.