1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pen Retirement

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Inner Prop, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I'm a cheapskate I admit it. If I pay $10, $5 or even $2 for a pen I'm reluctant to just throw it away or stick it in a drawer to die, when it could be refilled, even when I want to move on.

I've got some pens I thought would be good, but then I found others that are better, for me at least. The pens I have to "retire" are not the kind of quality you gift to someone else.

I'm thinking of leaving them on a coworker's desk when they aren't there.

Any ideas?

2. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Keep them as loaners, for people where you’re not sure to get them back. That way they get used at least once, and you keep your better pens.

3. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

you can use them to make nice side project.. like used pen eiffel tower :)

SAKplumber, kertap75 and Inner Prop like this.
  4. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I put those pens in MY pen cup at work. They inevitably find new homes in short order.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

5. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I consider them decoys, keeps them away from the good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

SAKplumber likes this.
  6. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I second the above. I usually turn up to work with 4 or 5 biros and arrive home with precisely zero.

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I honest don't remember the last time I bought a pen for $2, $5 or $10.

Don't necessarily consider myself a pen snob, but...

The least expensive pens I have are probably the Lacquered Brass Fisher Bullets when I found them for sale at about $16 per.

Other than that pens are usually Rotrings, Pelikans, Sensas which aren't patricularly outrageous.... but I've used them for years if not decades. The Faber-Castel TK-Matic Mechanical Pencil dates back to the late 1980s.

Agree with the above.... pen stand on the desk and the critters will sprout legs and run off to join the circus.

ATB,
    Sam

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

Thanks everybody.

I had a friend in high school with a theory that pens are not manufactured, only found. I countered him saying that I was probably the one supplying the world with pens.

Funny thing, where I work this seems NEVER to be the case. Probably because of all the layoffs we've been having (25% -50% every year for the past 7 or so) people tend to get all their pens from the abandoned desks of their fallen comrades.

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

in our house, pens and socks disappear at random. any pen we bring into the house will disappear in next few days. so far, fountain pens are having much better result at being found in designated locations.

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Mine get retired after my hound from hell eats them.

Sent by Owl Post

ran23 and SAKplumber like this.
  11. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I go to work with one pen, and come home with the same pen (Surefire EWP-01)
    A few people have tried to "borrow" it, and have told them they are welcome to keep it, once they remove it from the desk, after I nail their hand down with it.

My EDCF Tuffwriter has been retired though, ot because their is anything wrong with it, but I just prefer the twisty action of the SF pen, to the threaded cap of the Tuffwriter. The Tuffwriter now lives in my display case, with my spyderco collection, old cameras and broken bits of cameras (I keep the bits that have been replaced after accidents)

Stonerman33 likes this.
  12. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I have no doubt that if I took expensive pens out of the house I would guard them. At school I used to use a Parker IM fountain pen and I growled at anyone who tried to touch it.

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

thatotherguy and ran23 like this.
  13. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Continually losing cheap pens was why I bought a good one !
    I'm a lot more careful with what happens to it.

I did like the Uni Powertank clickys I had for a while though, they were fairly expensive (for a cheap plastic clicky top, not in the grand scheme of things) but had a pressurized cartridge like the space pens, so could write while upside done, or at funny angles (something I do a little bit) I do prefer the feel of a nice solid Aluminium pen that is built tough enough to be used as an impact tool

ran23 and C.Boland93 like this.
  14. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

:)

CitizenSnips likes this.
  15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I always noticed working in a shop how transient pens are - everyone just grabs the nearest pen when they need to write something and never quite bother putting it back where they got it, only to leave it elsewhere and for the cycle to repeat. Part of the problem is that pens are so cheap and common nobody pays any attention to them - they are not an item of worth, just a thing to borrow/steal/lose.

I make a point of having a slightly nicer pen (even something as basic as a SS jotter) and keeping hold of it - it is my pen that I use, and if you borrow it it is only for a few words before you give it back (otherwise what will I write with then?). It seemed to work for me when I wired in a shop, and I managed to keep the same pen for 9 years running. Extra bonus marks for the one time I lost it (my own fault) it made its way back to me as the person that found it recognised it as mine.

My nemesis though is the Fisher bullet - so small, so handy, and so :censored: easily lost. However hard I try to keep track of them they eventually vanish. The last one disappearing into the long grass while camping last week (even knowing where it was to within a meter, finding a black space pen in the long grass just didn't happen...)

C.Boland93 likes this.
  16. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Are space pens magnetic?

17. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Fisher Lacquered Brass Bullet:
    1. Tail End of Barrel: Non-Magnetic
    2. Nose End of Barrel: Magnetic
    3. Cap: Non-Magnetic
    4. Clip: Magnetic (highly)
    5. Tail End of Ink Cartridge: Non-Magnetic
    6. Nose End Of Ink Cartridge: Magnetic
    Would definitely be picked up by a magnetic nail broom, should you EDC one of those. ;)

And the Lacquered Brass model.... visible in grass during daylight hours or when a light is shined on it at dusk.

ATB,
    Sam

18. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've taken to doing with pens what I do with most other stuff. I carry what I like, which often means pricy relative to the common version of the given implement (usually budget to us gearheads though :)) and I use it, take care of it, and return it to its proper place every night. If I plan on carrying it the next day, it goes in my desk organizer. Pens all go in my dedicated pen cup. Pencils have their own cup. When (it's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when") someone asks to borrow any item of mine, say, a pen, and I don't have a super cheap don't-care-if-it-gets-trashed-or-stolen version of it, the answer is invariably "No, you can't borrow it, but if I'm able to help you I'd be happy to do so". I've had too many of my nice things broken, trashed or stolen to trust the average person with my stuff. If I know the person and trust them, it's slightly different (but that's rare, because they know my attitude towards lending of my gear, so they never ask).
    Last time I loaned a pen out it was a Fisher Cap-O-Matic and the guy yanked the cap off and lost a spring, rendering my favorite (at the time) pen that I had been carrying for about a year useless. A guy ruined the edge of the last knife I lent out by shaving lead (Pb lead, not pencil lead) with it. Had to reprofile and it hasn't been the same ever since.
    The quickest way to make yourself keep track of a pen is to buy a nice one and start carrying it. I used to lose at least a pen a day, then I bought that Fisher Cap-O-Matic I referenced earlier and haven't lost a pen I care about since.

19. OilfieldCowboy

OilfieldCowboy Loaded Pockets

I'm about to take a 1 gallon ziploc full of "retired" pens and pencils in to work for the shop hands to do with as they please. I'm betting several of their children will have some pretty nice writing implements for the upcoming school year.

20. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Pens that I either don't like, or don't use anymore, I put an elastic band around them and place them in the office supply drawer at work. That way at least someone else can use them after all the supply thieves pillage the new pens after a supply delivery shows up.