1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pen recommendations

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Tromba, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I see the pressurized cartridge pens as being "take a note/sign for dinner" type pens, by & large. If there's much writing to be done, it's with a fountain pen, rollerball, or gel pen with better ergonomics and smoother writing. As previously mentioned, I own some Jotters, and I put them in the same category...pocket pen for quick but not extensive notes, signature, etc. If I have to write pages (Pl.), I grab a Waterman rollerball. Ballpoints are the equivalent of cruel & inhuman punishment if you have to write much....plus they don't write a dark enough line.

2. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

@_mg_ The clip looks ok to me. I like that it is attaches at the top and not down lower on the barrel. As far as the attachment method, that looks ok to me as well. Looks like ring of the clip where it attaches is crimped or pressed into a groove around the barrel at the top of the pen body. I don't fear that it will come loose. My only thing I know I will be watching is potential wear and tear on the shirt pocket.

@Gogogordy This original AG7 is a decent pen. I see what others say about it being top heavy, but I don't think that will be a problem. Some complain that the barrel starts to narrow too high up, but if it does or doesn't I think it feels fine and doesn't feel too skinny. It's chrome-plated brass; solid, substantial; but I still would not want to drop it. The only hesitation I would have in recommending it is I don't fancy the ink and the way Fisher cartridges write as much as I do Parker ball point cartridges and ink, but it is acceptable and you may like it (and as others have remarked, one can use other cartridges anyway). All in all, it is an attractive, well-made writing instrument. Hat tip to @Moshe ben David for recommending it.

_mg_ likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

These pens usually ship with the Fisher medium tip refill, in black ink. Unfortunately, the medium tip has a history of being somewhat blobby on startup, which is not all that nice. Some time back Fisher came out with Fine tip refills, initially in blue ink and I think now in black ink. The fine tip refills have garnered a reputation for NOT being blobby. You may want to consider trying one.

The other complaint one often hears about Fisher refills is that the ink does not flow as freely as what so many expect after having used gel or rollerball refills in other pens. I suspect this characteristic will not change with the tip size. Fisher designed the pen to 'write upside down, on vertical surfaces, under water, over grease...' you know the drill. This is accomplished in large part because the refills are sealed; the ink is under pressure (nitrogen gas I believe), plus is 'thixotropic'. Inside the refill it is more like a paste, rather than a gel or a liquid.

Like most of us, I don't anticipate writing in zero gravity. Nor typically under water. I do often write on a vertical surface. The other hugely beneficial thing for me about Fisher pens is that they do not leak. Not even when stored in a car in the heat of summer. They are not affected by freezing cold of winter. They just write. Plus the refills have a much much longer writing distance than any gel or roller ball refill I've ever used -- generally longer than most 'standard' ball points also.

At any rate, congrats on your acquisition! May you use it long and in good health!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

To me, that's the big negative issue with Fisher pens--there are NO acceptable alternative cartridges that work in them. The only refill that will fit in terms of length & diameter is the Zebra F type...If used it will wobble due to smaller tip diameter. In my estimation it is jumping from frying pan to the fire in terms of ink/writing quality, anyway. Zebra ballpoint is awful...the pens are great but the ink is very substandard. I don't understand why they don't produce their gel & hybrid inks in the same size cartridge so it could be used in a F-701...or at the least produce a gel version of the F-701 the way they did with the 301. The Jotter is the better alternative in terms of choice of refills, because it will take any Parker type refill...which means it would also take the Fisher with adapter.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Tesla: right you are. If a pen body will handle a Parker type refill that pen can absolutely take a Fisher refill -- they're generally packaged with a little tail adapter specifically to go where Parker refills go. I have many of my pens so equipped!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have one small testimonial to Fisher pens. Over the last summer, I worked with my city government to catalog the state of the sidewalks and sidewalk ramps as they pertained to ADA regulations (internship). This necessitated walking outdoors in the summer heat for most of the day, every day. The paper maps I had to mark up with data were, of course, subject to sweat and grease, which meant that a standard ballpoint would not reliably write on them, but the data had to be made in ink, so I could not use pencil. A Fisher pen was the only writing tool that worked reliably on that greasy, sweaty, humidified paper. They aren't the most pleasant writing experience, but when you need a pen to write on less than ideal surfaces, they're sometimes the only option. I like to keep some around for that reason.

Moshe ben David and Tesla like this.
  7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes..different horses for different courses!

thatotherguy likes this.
  8. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

If nothing else, this thread shows that a pen can be a very personal thing. That's probably true for every item discussed in these forums. I think my instincts in my original response to the OP were correct: What works for me may not work for him, nor for a lot of guys (and gals), and it is wise to help someone like the OP discover what does work for them.

I've discovered something I don't like about the AG7. It doesn't take a lot of force to depress the button at the top and extend the ballpoint. I found the pen open in my pocket a couple times today. I think I probably did it when taking out boarding passes and returning them to my pocket. The good news is ink did not bleed into the fabric of my shirt pocket.

It occurs to me that I mostly use twist to open pens nowadays. Not because I have really thought about it. Just happened because of the pens I like for aesthetic reasons and the way the pen feels in the hand. But now I'm thinking about it.

As far as writing, and writing a lot..... If I am writing pages, I hope it is typing. I don't want to be at one sitting writing pages with a pen, not nowadays.

9. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

This is partially true. Recently, a pen maker created and now sells a D1 adapter that is fisher sized. Basically, it’s a fisher shaped cartridge that you stick a D1 refill into. It even has an adjustment screw to tweak how much of the tip sticks out of the end of the pen. All for the princely sum of $16. D1 refills can be found in ballpoint, gel, and hybrid ink formulations of various tip sizes. They don’t hold a lot of ink, so be prepared to swap refills somewhat frequently, and the refills themselves are usually a couple bucks each.

https://www.schondsgn.com/collections/pens/products/inks?variant=7266294202414

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I wonder if that will function in Zebra pens, since the 2 refills (Zebra & Fisher) are virtually identical except for tip diameter?

11. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. It was exactly what I was hoping for.

I had it narrowed down to the parker jotter or the fisher ag7. I was at a staples today and was able to handle a jotter. I didn’t particularly like the feel in my hand so I think an ag7 will be the winner. I do carry a fisher bullet in my pocket and love it so I think the ag7 will be a good compliment as my daily work horse at my job.

Thanks again.

12. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Excellent. I was going to ask if you had made a decision. And I was going to advise that there are some premium Jotter versions that look pretty nice, but OBE.

I'm interested in what you think of the AG7 as compared to your experience holding the Jotter. As others have already pointed out, they aren't too different, at least I don't think so.

By the way, my overall experience with the AG7 on my trip earlier in the week was positive. I spent one day in a meeting taking notes, plus the odd use for various things on travel days. No real issues, pen worked fine, comfortable to hold and use. My only negative experience was accidently pressing the button and extending the ballpoint in my pocket by accident, but once I realized I was doing it I just watched myself from then on and no more open pen in pocket.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. eholland

eholland Loaded Pockets

Best click pen I’ve used within the past 10 years is the Cross Gel Click Pena available on Amazon from $15-$70. I haven’t paid over $23 for any of the three I have and love them. Ink lasts a long time and refills available on Amazon (buy the 5 pack ink replacements when found).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. BugOutBob

BugOutBob Empty Pockets

Look up the Zebra F-xMD, it runs about $15 shipped from the UK. It is a full stainless steel pen for a great price. You can use it as is or pull out the only plastic part from the nose and pop in a Fisher refill. I haven't broken mine in over a year of dropping it.

15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

It is erroneous to say it's a "full stainless" pen. It is made the same as the F-701 except for the clicker. It has a stainless shell over a plastic frame, basically and is no more or less durable than the F-701.