1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pen recommendations

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Tromba, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

By virtue of the fact that as grown men (and women) we are discussing, with deep interest on the world-wide-web the lowly "PEN" shouldn't we give way to the next level of discussion....vinyl pocket protectors?

C'mon...you know you want to....

2. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

But my work shirts have pockets that don't work well with pocket protectors.. I'd consider it, but.. can't do it. I worked with a tech that used one and it was stuffed with pens, testers, electricians screwdrivers... lots of stuff.. really cool... not really.. but he burget lost a thing.. and was always ready.. older guy, Don Knopp.. good guy great tech.. super geek.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. ambrdrgn

ambrdrgn Empty Pockets

+1 on the Fisher Cap-O-Matic, but there is an all-metal version of the F-701 with no modding needed, the F-xMD.

4. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

I'm old, but the days of short sleeve white shirts with tie and pocket protectors still pre-date me. Anyway, my preference is upgrade rather than mitigate in this instance.

5. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Well, one guy - Mike Scherer, with his j.mp/InklingPenCompany - created a pen from tungsten with various materials for endcaps, so the different endcaps at the back made the writing instrument have either a front-heavy, centered, or back-heavy feel to it, and then Bobby Davis made a few where you could adjust the balance of his pens depending on where you locked in a sliding weight.

And here's my multi-endcap BOMApen D6, #3, just for kicks.

:cool:

Cervantes likes this.
  6. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions. I really do love the feel of a metal pen and wouldn’t want to use a plastic one if I can help it.

I don’t drop my pen often by any means. But every so often it does happen. To me the chink in the armor of the f 701 seems to be the plastic internals. A drop here or there seems to jostle them enough to mess it all up. The threads on the end piece always seem to strip out for me.

I am liking the jotter. I also like the idea of the cap o matic as I use a fisher bullet for pocket carry and it would be nice to use one refill between the two. What are the internals of those like?

thatotherguy likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I think it is about time for me to complicate the choices... Fisher does of course make an all metal pen. In fact the pen that actually started it all. I speak of the ACTUAL astronaut pen, the AG-7. Which is available in a number of variations from Fisher. This was the pen designed for the astronaut program. Usual tail button to deploy the tip. But retracts with a side button - designed this way I believe to make it easier for astronaut (or any other pilot for that matter) to operate the pen whilst wearing bulky gloves. It is all metal. Pocket clip lets it ride fairly deep in a shirt pocket.

Here is a pic of the basic classic version: [​IMG]

Pic from Amazon. This basic version sells for ~$35. There are other versions in various finishes, some with images of space shuttle, etc etc. I carry the bullet pen in a jeans pocket or the telescoping pen sometimes. But when I wanted a shirt pocket pen especially for air travel, this is the pen I carried. Like all Fisher pens, doesn't leak, writes at any angle, etc etc etc. You know the story!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

If you can accept being limited to one refill and one refill only, then the Cap-o-Matic might be your pen, as well. I own one of the Rite in the Rain versions & have love for the design & ergonomics. I could never accept the downgrade in writing experience & lack of refill options, however, for a daily writer. The Jotter outshines it from that standpoint. One can use a plethora of different ink types/refills in the Jotter--including the Fisher & Schmidt pressurized refills. Like many, I prefer as many options in a pen as possible, but I've never found that one pen that was all things, which explains why I have so many, I guess.

#28 Tesla, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Notice how much like the Jotter it looks? The mechanical design is not stolen, but the aesthetics of the pen testify to some design plagiarism. Nonetheless, it is still my favorite Fisher design. I don't own one because I can't justify spending $35 for a pen that gets used only occasionally on outdoor or hiking/backpacking activities. I carry a modified Zebra 301 Compact with pressurized refill for that.

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I've looked into that one, but it doesn't seem available in the U.S.

11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I tried vinyl pocket protectors, but rubber lined thin leather pocket protectors work much better for me.

I really do wish I was kidding.

Moshe ben David and Cervantes like this.
  12. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I feel your pain...

Cervantes and thatotherguy like this.
  13. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

How and where did you get one without the traction grooves? Knurling, couldn't think of the word

14. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Darn this site..... I think the AG-7 is a good suggestion. I went and bought one yesterday. Should arrive Monday.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Not trying to rain on your parade but the clip in particular seems pretty poorly engineered. I’ll be interested to see what your impression is once you get it.

You are spot on about this site though. It IS the hole in my wallet.

16. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

No worries. Searching and reading I came across everything from broke from fatigue after 9 years of daily use (and Fisher replaced) to the best pen pocket clip ever. But I've had this pen on my shopping list for a while just to have it and use it occasionally. I will use it--starting with a trip on Tuesday--but I'll let my grandson worry about the pocket clip failing.

_mg_ and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. Moshe ben David

Actually, knurling is generally more than just simple grooves; almost a rough cross-hatched pattern. That being said, the pic I posted is not a pic of my pen; that is a pic of the AG-7 as shown on the Amazon website.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

Also that pen has the grooves,it's just not that easy to see them. Too bad , would have been a nice pen

19. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

The “grippage” on the chrome plated Fishers (Chrome Bullet, AG-7 etc) appears to be a single, spiral cut line to these old eyes (looking closely at my own chrome Bullet)

20. Moshe ben David

Just speaking for myself, and my experience with several different Fisher pen styles: Chrome Bullet, Un-polished Brass Bullet, Matte Black Bullet, AG-7, Telescoping pen -- I've never had any 'grippage' issues. The AG-7 is a bit smaller diameter than I usually go for, but I've never had any stress in my hand when holding and using it. I find its not really that much different from holding a 'typical' wooden pencil or from holding and using a Caran d'Ache 849 for instance.

But let's face it. Handling pens is like handling knives. The ergonomics are a very personal experience!!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David