1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pen recommendations

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Tromba, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I have been using a zebra f 701 at work for a couple of years. I used to just use whatever cheapo hotel pen I could find but I have been enjoying having a nicer pen.

The problem I have been having is the f 701 is not very durable. I have broken a couple and accidentally sent one through the wash which gummed up its click mechanism. The plastic insert always seems to strip out on me. The one I am currently using every time I drop it on the ground it blows open and the parts shoot everywhere. I would like something that will hold up better. Metal internals I am assuming. I am not really interested in modding the f 701. I am interested in something different.

What I am looking for is:
    -Clicky or bolt mechanism
    -Pocket clip
    -$20 price range
    -Durable like I mentioned. The ability to survive some falls on a hard floor.
    -I am not particular on the kind of ink or refills, as long as it will write nicely

I know very little about pens which is why I would like some advice from some more knowledgeable people.

Thank you.

#1 Tromba, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Ironically, IME, plastic clicker pens like the Pilot G-2 are more durable when dropped than all-metal pens. The reason most people (myself for sure) have metal pens is the look & feel & writing experience. The greater mass of metal pens feels better in the hand, but it also means a harder impact with a hard surface, which will result in a bent tip area or other similar problem. All that said, from your description, you are looking for a G-2 or V7/V5 type pen. I'm not saying they won't break, but if they do, it's minimal pocket damage. I don't believe you're going to find anything bulletproof in the under $20 category.

3. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

How about the 40 dollar price range? Brass may bend but usually doesnt snap.. unless it's filled with freezing water..

4. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I could go up to $40. What do you suggest?

5. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Parker Jotter all day, every day. Durable enough to not worry too much, reliable, comfortable, cheap enough to replace if you do break or lose one.

rat-7, twin63, Sachsen and 1 other person like this.
  6. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

My thoughts for what they are worth....

Don't get a nice pen, even a $20 pen until you stop dropping them. Otherwise get an inexpensive lightweight plastic pen that writes well enough and doesn't feel awkward in your hand.

The Jotter is a decent pen, and not expensive. It might be durable enough for you, and if you do lose it or break it, no huge loss.

As far as nicer pens go, my advice is find what writes well, feels good in the hand to you, and appeals to your eye. If appearances or image are important, the pen is an accessory that fits that image or appearance. You may want a special pen for just these times.

I really like the Parker Urban style, and Parker in general, and ballpoint pens exclusively. I also like the Parker Sonnet. I have other pens and rotate a little, but I carry the Sonnet 9 days out of 10 for work and switch it up on non-work days.

I prefer conservative styles. Something to think about. What do you like? Again, think about your overall image, and whether the pen is an accessory as well as a writing instrument, or just a pen. Whichever is fine, just give it thought.

I prefer styles that don't stick up out of the shirt pocket. Again, something to think about, and figure out if you have a preference.

The type may be important. One reason I stick with ballpoint is it has happened that I've put an open pen in my pocket. Not a big deal with a ballpoint. However, it has been a disaster for me with roller ball pens. It's enough of a disaster to almost stop me from ever doing it again, but nowadays I just don't take the chance with roller balls anymore. Just putting this out as perhaps something to think about, and figure out if it matters to you, and what you would prefer.

Finally, if you will be carrying the pen in your shirt pocket consider the wear and tear on your shirt pocket from the clip is a possible concern. It isn't a given, and depends. It may depend on the shirt material. There was a time years ago when I was carrying the all-stainless Jotter every day and over time it damaged my shirt pockets. I don't see this with the pens I use now. I just mention it as something to keep an eye on until you know whether there will be a problem or not.

7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

3 out of 4 correct:

I own lots of Jotters and I can tell you from observation that if you drop a Jotter tip down on a hard surface with the point retracted, you will bend or burr the tip of the pen so that it will not extend/retract.....so, no, they are NOT durable from that standpoint....but this is true for most metal pens, as well. If you are the sort who is constantly dropping pens, go with a capped pen...or a cheapie plastic retractable.

Last edited by Tesla, Apr 13, 2018
    #7 Tesla, Apr 13, 2018
    Moshe ben David and thatotherguy like this.
  8. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Is this with the Flighter or the half plastic Jotter? Ive dropped mine a lot and it always landed on the knock, not on the tip, but mine are the plastic barrel ones. I might also have just gotten lucky.

I'm not questioning the validity of your experience, I've just never experienced it myself so I want to know what to be careful about going forward.

9. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

^^^^ I did just that with a Jotter, one of the stainless models, dropped it on tile and it landed point down sort of. I was able to fix it, but I'm failing to remember exactly how at the moment. All I remember is reaming it to round out the opening again. I guess the good news is this is repairable to an extent.

Moshe ben David and thatotherguy like this.
  10. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Can metal pens be made with ends of differing mass? Titanium barrel and brass..umm..:censored: end? So if its dropped, the back side heads down first.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

It isn't mass, it's aerodynamics.

You could try a little parachute!

Moshe ben David and Cervantes like this.
  12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

If the tip (point end) is metal and the pen is very heavy, it will deform the tip--brass is soft & titanium is also relatively soft metal. Steel might do better, but learning not to drop point down is the path to enlightenment....:)

13. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Learning not to drop is the quicker path

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Actually it IS mass that causes the damage, which is why it doesn't happen to cheap plastic pens--too light/not enough mass. Now you have me wondering how much room my pens have for a parachute & how to deploy it...LOL

thatotherguy likes this.
  15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Even the plastic grip ones have a metal tip, but those actually have more metal than the all "metal" Jotters. Between the plastic ones being slightly lighter and (possibly) having more give and a more substantial tip, I would bet they fare better in a tip down death spiral than the full metal Jotters.

thatotherguy likes this.
  16. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Yes, but by my reading that is not what the other member was asking.

Is it a question of having the pen always lands a certain way if dropped? That is what I read.

If the question is having a pen that survives a drop regardless of how it lands, that is a different question. And the answer has to do with the toughness of the material(s) and construction and relative ability to resist the forces of impact. The Parker Jotter as a whole is a tough enough pen, but the thin metal area at the opening tends to bend and yield if it hits a hard floor just right. The repair I mentioned that I did was to bend the metal edge of the opening back to its original shape. If the metal there was sufficiently tough, it would take the impact and spring back to its original shape.

EDIT: Toughness isn't precisely the best term for the idea I was trying to convey above. It does have a technical meaning which is a little different than the way I used it. See for example http://propertiesofmetals.com/mechanical-properties-of-metals/toughness

#16 aih, Apr 13, 2018
  17. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I think how a pen lands is hit or miss (pun intended). That is to say they land randomly...especially in a short, yard-or-less drop. I agree with your assessment of the Jotter's general toughness. It's just not heavily enough armored at the tip to dependably function afterward if dropped onto it. Plastic pens survive because they are lighter & plastic absorbs impact better in that use. I don't think that most pens are heavily enough armored to survive all possibly drop scenarios. For my 2 cents worth, the Jotter is a great pen...also the vector & 45....I own 2 Jotters (1 is US made) & also the vector & 45 and think a lot of them. Some people are just tough on things. I've been lucky not to have dropped any good pens in a long time (like since my folks quit paying for them about 50 years ago).

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Do like the Mars probe, deploy air bags before impact.. i just got a Bic 4 color cuz i like them pens.. and its 5 bucks.[​IMG]

19. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

But it doesn't meet the level of fancy which I'd prefer.

20. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

My first thought, like others have mentioned, was the Parker Jotter. Can't go wrong there.

But a close 2nd, or maybe even a better choice depending on your preference in looks, is the Fisher Cap-o-Matic. Built like a tank and I love the Fisher fine refill (it comes with a medium so I would recommend ordering a fine when you get the pen and swapping.) Don't let the looks fool you - it looks like a capped pen but it's a clicky. I have had mine for around 5 years now and I absolutely love it, use it almost daily at work.

thatotherguy and Moshe ben David like this.