1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pen Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by cowboyarcher, Jan 18, 2015.

1. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

My favorite pen is the Zebra F-701. Most is all metal and pretty thick too, the Fisher Cap o Matic has a horrible plastic part in the "cap" portion that has broken on me when people think it's a cap and ripped it from the body. The Jotter as said above has plastic as well. Zebra in my books if you are still undecided.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

No

3. dshunti28

dshunti28 Empty Pockets

To the Op, you shouldn't have to change your wants of the pen to find a decent pen to use for work. I often times Frankenstein my pens a little to make them suitable to my wants/needs! ;)

Best overall option for a ballpoint would be the Zebra F301. You can get a 2pk for about $4, they write really nicely, are durable (not too durable though, even though most of the pen is made of metal, there is still several plastic pieces). I've used these pens for years as a quick go to pen but have also broken plenty of them from leaning on them or having them in my pockets and them breaking/snapping in half at the plastic meets metal section. I too have a very physical job.

Best overall option for your needs and in general would be the Stainless Steel Jotter from Parker. Only thing that is plastic is the inner cap thread that turns the refill to wear the pen evenly, they changed it from brass to plastic in the early 80's to cut costs. So over 90% of the pen is metal. Not to mention there are numerous different kinds of refills that you can buy for cheap to change out to suit your writing desires. Different types of ballpoint colors, point size, and they even sell a fisher space pen refill for it. Itoyo sells 0.5mm black and blue gel refills as well which is how my current set up is.

My current set up is
    A stainless steel jotter w/ a 0.5mm itoyo black refill
    A marron original jotter with a Monte Verde fine blue black ceramis refill
    A Zebra F301 0.7 black ballpoint and Zebra G301 0.7mm black gel (Which you can also get also get 0.5mm black gel refills for the G301 on Jetpens)
    And last but not least a Lamy Safara EF nib clear demonstrator fountain pen with Noodlers bullet proof ink.

Hope this info helps you out and helps you decide a pen! :cool:

OldRakkasans187 and hbanger like this.
  4. Orlando Marquez

Orlando Marquez Loaded Pockets

I recommend....

[​IMG]

survivorman and Sachsen like this.
  5. CoreyM60

CoreyM60 Loaded Pockets

My vote would be for the 701 as well, im a mechanic so i dropped in the space pen refill and i love it! i know the guts arent metal but its still a great pen for the $

MichiganMan likes this.
  6. kunegos

kunegos Loaded Pockets

I've been happy with the "Space Zebra" so far. I've got the 402 on order to upgrade the guts. We'll see how that goes.

MichiganMan likes this.
  7. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

Wondering what you ended up going with. Any updates?

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Since I'm so insanely bored, I'm going to chime in after the fact - I hate the Jotter, mostly because it narrows to a very fine and uncomfortable point at the tip. Where I customarily grab it. And yes, I know what it sounds like. And no, I'm not re-phrasing it.

I've only ever heard of one person breaking the F-701 and while I never heard how, exactly, I'd be really impressed if you managed to break it through casual, or even rough use.

veriest1 likes this.
  9. cowboyarcher

cowboyarcher Loaded Pockets

I ended up finding 30x F301 pens for $28 shipped... I figured I could afford to break a few at that price, and I really like the looks of them.

If I go through all these, I think I'll go with the F701.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sachsen, Sriracha and tmedina like this.
  10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you go through all those, I'll be a little afraid. :eek:

11. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Zebra is a good choice, regardless of the model. I use both the 701 and the 401. Actually, at work the 401 gets the nod because its lighter in weight, cheap, disposable, and writes as well as the 701. The 701 is so pretty, I use it weekends and when I dress up for stuff. And I did the swap of the clicky end so all is silver. I didn't do the Fischer space mod, because I am not a fan of that ink, but that does make it more versatile.

MichiganMan likes this.
  12. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

I recommend Parker IM ballpoint, can use all range of Parker "G2" style refill and Fisher Space refill.
    Another option is Pentel Energel Alloy RT with Jetstream refill, preaty hard to beat.

The 2 pens from the left are Parker IM premium, the right one is Pilot G2 Limited:

[​IMG]

13. OldRakkasans187

OldRakkasans187 Loaded Pockets

Zebra F301 is a great inexpensive pen, use them daily!

14. Linuxology

Linuxology Loaded Pockets

Monteverde Intima

15. Adambashworth

Adambashworth Empty Pockets

I do woodworking, mainly wood turning, so over the past couple of years I started turning my own custom wooden pens. The internals are metal for the most part and the ones I prefer and EDC take a parker refill. Lastly, being custom, I can make them as narrow, wide, smooth or textured as I want. (pics to follow)

16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

The issue with the Cap-O-Matic, Jotter and F-701 is that none of them have metal knock mechanisms. I know for a fact that the modern Jotter and Cap-O-Matics do not, and I'm fairly certain that the F-701 doesn't either, but it seems that I've mislaid mine so I can't verify it.
    The Cap-O-Matic is tough as nails, and I can attest to that fact from personal experience. The refill that comes with it writes a bit bigger than you want and the Fisher refills, though smooth and pressurized to write anywhere, are ballpoints (and the stock one that comes with every pen is black). Even the matte black paint is almost bulletproof (exaggeration but it is some tough paint) The Jotter is tough but less indestructible- the refill won't withstand going through a washer and drier like the Fisher can (I've done it a couple of times by accident- Fishers were perfectly fine, Jotter leaked everywhere- at any rate try your best to not wash your pens in your clothes), the metal on the clicky button is fairly easily dented and the clip just feels less sturdy, but it does write well, there are gel refills available and it's comfortable to write with. I can't attest to the durability of the F-701, but other than the fact that I know that the Zebra refill could never withstand a washing and drying and there aren't gel refills available for it (the ballpoint refills write pretty well), the steel on the barrel of that pen is THICK and it feels like a tank.
    For the $20 budget I would get either the Fisher and a few refills, the F-701 and a few refills or both and put off buying refills (if you can stand black ballpoint ink, the Zebra refills last an OK amount of time but Fishers are camels- they last for a long, long, long time so you're set for a while on the stock included refill).
    All IMHO, and of course YMMV.

17. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

I have almost every pen recommended in this price range and the jotter is my least favorite due to its shape. Furthermore after its been knocked off the desk a few times the spring at the tip can get bent and the pen action will jam up (but still function... sorta....). My Surefire click pen did the same thing.

I like the 701 but haven't modded it to take Fisher refills yet. Otherwise it has the best shape and is really comfortable.

Mostly I carry the Fisher cap-o-matic because I like Fisher refills and it's pretty comfortable.

When not at work I carry a Hinderer Investigator or Retro 51 Tornado Lincoln fountain pen.

My EDC Stuff

18. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

The Fisher shuttle is retractable and all-metal. It's my favorite pen to write with, and I'll never go back to non-pressurized pens. I don't edc it, though, because my front pocket carry would destroy it (I snapped two jotters and a cap-o-matic that way before I switched to the bullet pen).

19. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

If you look up in the guts of this, it is plastic inside. Still a great pen though.

20. cowboyarcher

cowboyarcher Loaded Pockets

Well I've been slowly working my way through these, breaking them at the top of the grip where it meets the metal section. I ordered a couple 701s to see if they hold up better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk