1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pelican Cases - Mods?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by r-ice, Jan 20, 2011.

1. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

So I have come in to possession of 3 Pelican cases which measure around inside 15inch by 15 inches by 8 inches the insides are 14 x14 x 6.5 . I know I am going to use one for Cameras and lenses and maybe another one for my flashes. Just wondering what I should do with the 3rd one. I might even go back to pick more up. They are fairly cheap. Generally Cases like these even used go for 150-100 and I picked them up for around 60 bucks tax in.

I am thinking of even making a battery pack out of it and maybe when I go car camping I can also set a solar cell on top to recharge it. =] hmm...

Do any of you have any other ideas on what I can do with these. They are awesome and solid. They aren't branded but apparently they were used by the Canadian army to store optical stuff.

Just Incase anyone wants to know what these amazing cases look like
    [​IMG]

2. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

I've seen this done before on the web. Please update when you do do this because I've been wanting to make one fore a while.

3. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

well I just managed to get foam for the insides for my cameras and what not, now to pick up some hot knives so I can make some cutouts. If i ever do make the battery case i'll definitely do a write up.

4. EthanF

EthanF Loaded Pockets

Post up pictures after you've cut compartments. I love seeing the final product of anyones mods.

5. AeroNautiCal

AeroNautiCal Loaded Pockets

Interesting cases, though they don't look like any Pelican/Peli cases that I've ever seen.

Any pics of the insides and hinges please.

6. casamance

casamance Loaded Pockets

Instead of opening a new thread, I'll piggyback onto this one:

I am looking into buying the Peli 1510 carry-on case. Does anybody have one and would be willing to share their experiences with them?

Cheers,

Casamance

7. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

I have a 1510, but have barely used once for a weekend in Vegas. Not sure if I can be of much help though

8. casamance

casamance Loaded Pockets

Hi WESBC,

Thanks for chipping in. If anybody can be sure whether you can be of much help, it's you :)

You could start by telling me why you have only used the 1510 once and why you don't continue to use it.

Cheers,

Casamance

9. HAMMERHEAD2

HAMMERHEAD2 Empty Pockets

The cases pictured look like StarLight.

10. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I've only used it once because I really don't have a use for it other than a side table lol. I mainly bought it because I came up on a 1650 that was too good to pass up. After letting it sit in a for a day, I came to the conclusion that it was way too big for anything that I could use it for. My plans were to fill it with stuff and either toss it on the rack of my FJ or somewhere in the back. I decided to sell it (for what I payed for) because it seemed like more of a hassel to keep. It was too heavy for putting it up top (high CoG) and it was simply too large for the rear, it took up 3/4 of the width of my "trunk". I figured if I wanted pelican that I can actually use (emergency supplies/gear/etc) I would need to downsize. I chose the 1510 because I was going to Vegas for a weekend and made that an excuse for it to be used as luggage. Albeit I drove instead of flown, I liked the idea that the 1510 is the biggest size of luggage for carry on air travel. So that's how I got the 1510 and rid myself of the 1650. I never got around to filling it with supplies and tossing it in the truck because I never knew what to put in it since I practically carry everything in my truck already. To be honest all my Pelican's were impulse buys. I ended up getting another newer 1650 for even a better price that I couldn't refuse from some stoner photographer off CL. If you're keeping track, all this happened withing 3-4 days lol.

Honestly, if I somewhat had an even small reason to use it, I would. I don't travel that much, a backpack is a better "container" than the Pelican for BOB duty, and I don't have any fragile equipment other than my macbook that goes in a 1470. I have a friend that travels quite a bit and has abused his 1510 for the past two years including 120 flights.

I guess it really depends on your intended use.

11. paoylin1

paoylin1 Loaded Pockets

so where did you get these cases?

12. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

Heres a preview of what I did today :)

Gonna do a full write up when I get the chance

[​IMG]

13. sloopy70

sloopy70 Loaded Pockets

Instructables.com has some decent info on what to do with pelican cases...

14. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

that is so awesome you have to write a tutorial

15. Taylor2394

Taylor2394 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I chucked a battery powered motion sencing light in my case. Its an awesome idea if you're often in the dark. Turns on when i open the lid.

Sent from STRAYA

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  16. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Sweet idea. Might I recommend having a red light in your case. The red light will not take your night vision away and will not be seen as far as the white light

17. Taylor2394

Excellent idea mate. Still plenty of room underneath

Sent from STRAYA

18. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

What prevents the light from turning on in the case when you are just walking around with it?

ATB,
    Sam

19. Taylor2394

As long as it doesnt sense anything moving it wont turn on. But it also has a regular on off switch so you can use it as a normal light

Sent from STRAYA