1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

PDW Expedition Watch Band COMPASS review after full summer season use

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by PiterM, Sep 30, 2016.

1. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

Prometheus Design Werx - Expedition Watch Band COMPASS

a real life review after full summer season use on land & sea

[​IMG]

I can’t deny, I really like cool gadgets. So when Patrick announced his PDW wrist watch compass I knew I got to get one! First batch of silver one sold out within minutes and unfortunately I was not lucky enough to get it. So with the second batch I was a bit more prepared and grabbed mine finally! When it arrived and I opened a box… oh boy, how cool was that! What you get is the compass (of course) in a protective plastic container and with silicone carrier, which protects compass when not on your wrist and also allows to put it on a backpack / strap / molle.

[​IMG]

It arrived just in time, couple of days before my short trip to the seaside. Technically it fits straps up to 22mm BUT I had no problem to squeeze 24mm two-piece ZULU strap into the mounting slot, so I’m happy to tell you – yes, it’s Panerai compliant, which was actually my biggest worry. I wear PAM000 as my adventure watch so if I’d be not able to use them both… ouch! But it fits, so no problem.

[​IMG]

Of course, before any serious use (it’s a tool after all) I had to make sure it was really working properly and showed true magnetic North. So I took my good old M2 artillery compass and just checked PDW carefully. I expected nothing else frankly speaking… it’d be hard to tell if there was ANY noticeable difference between them. And M2 is an instrument, which you could trust with your life! I found this short description of M2: The M2 military compass has been in service with the U.S. military since at least World War II. It is designed for precise work in providing targeting information for artillery. Any questions? Yeah, that experiment shows clearly - also PDW compass can be trusted as a land & sea navigation aid.

[​IMG]

Beginning of July I took my PAM & PDW combo for a week-long sailing adventure. Compass is an essential instrument onboard and I just wanted to check the real-life durability and if it stands by the promises of PDW team in a practical use. In a nutshell – absolutely yes! It’s helpful, easy to read, and survives the deck life, bumping around, submerging in cold water, and overall sailing realm. And believe me, I was not toying it. You know me, I don’t toy my Panerai so I was really not taking too much care of the compass, LOL. Actually I was even surprised that the hard-anodized ALU of the compass’ body held up so well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I said PDW compass is extremely legible, also in the dusk or when you go from the direct sunlight to the considerably darker yacht cabin. Of course it’s possible thanks to the luminous material. Also the gasket (which keeps compass module in its housing) has some GITD properties, however I find it purely an aesthetic feature (but it’s cool). I’ve not used the silicon carrier extensively enough to tell you too much about it. It works, it’s OK, and you can put a small bead on it if you want (just to make it even cooler). However, if you do so, make sure there are no sharp edges – silicone is relatively easy to cut and tear apart.

[​IMG]

Now, after almost 4 months of use (including summer adventure season) I can easily recommend it as a durable and fun alternative to a bigger compass. Of course, it won’t replace a serious navigation tools like an M2 or Brunton GeoTransit, but it’s easy to operate, fast and reliable. Very helpful to keep a proper route in the field. I’ve used it a lot for a quick map orientation in the mountains too. That is where a small handy accurate compass really works like a charm.

[​IMG]

And last but not least… some outdoor pics of my PDW Comapss in use:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, if you’d like to get one I suggest to sign up for Prometheus Design Werx newsletter, they always announce restocks in advance so that you don’t have to check the website every day. That’s exactly how I purchased mine.

Good luck and enjoy!
    P

2. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

Nice write up.

PiterM likes this.
  3. Theskyiscrying

Theskyiscrying Loaded Pockets

Great writeup and awesome pics!

PiterM and joshwhoha like this.
  4. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

Awesome writeup and pics. They're out of stock at the moment, but ITS sells these too, and they were in stock a week or two ago.

ETA: The ITS ones are anodized black, if that matters.

PiterM likes this.
  5. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

What is ITS?

joshwhoha likes this.
  6. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

Sorry Brules, I should have clarified; "Imminent Threat Solutions" web address is itstactical (dot) com

I didn't link to the address because I can't remember the rules of posting links to other sites.