1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Parts for a Solarforce L2P

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Norseman, May 5, 2019.

1. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

So I have a Solarforce L2P that was dropped and now fails sporadically. I was gonna toss it but then I looked on their page and see I could probably replace the bulb.

I was thinking of this one but wanted to see what some of you more knowledgeable guys might say.

Solarforce 820 Lumens T6 XM-L led 3-8.4v Bulb for L2 series & Surefire 6P G2

https://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/categories/replacement-bulb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I have a few Solarforce dropins (older models) and haven't had any issues in normal usage. If you just want to keep the light running, and don't want to spend a lot, you should be fine.

Norseman likes this.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Yeah mine is about 6 years old. It was originally 320 lumens on high but i was thinking maybe I could take this opportunity to learn a little more about dropins and stuff. Are there other brands that might really wow me and not break the bank, or just get the one off Solarforce’s website and call it a day?

4. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Like maybe a Malkoff drop in?

5. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

P60 drop-ins aren't nearly as ubiquitous as they were several years ago but there are still some solid options available.

CustomLites is the website of nailbender who used to have a long running sales thread over on CPF. He has a great reputation and his drop-ins are solid. I'm not sure if he still does custom work (ie pretty much any LED you want) in addition to the standard builds listed but it can't hurt to ask.

Eagtac still has the SporTac line. They are all brass construction and high quality. The triple was always a great option and more recently they released a drop in with Cree XHP35 HI or HD emitters that are definitely worth looking at. The HI will have a slight drop in output (which will be unnoticeable), but it will throw a lot farther.

PFlexPro is another builder who produces great P60 modules, but it looks like their store is down at the moment while they work on a large project.

As mentioned Malkoff still makes a bulletproof drop-in and Gene & Kathy are really great people. That being said if you want the most lumens possible the M61 isn't going to be the brightest option available.

It really depends on what your priorities are. Higher output? Better color rendition (there are drop-ins with high CRI nichia emitters available), something absolutely bomb proof?

Last edited by BigGreenTick, May 6, 2019
    #5 BigGreenTick, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Norseman likes this.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the informative response!! I’m checking out the EagleTac drop ins now. For about $50 I could get 1500 lumens out of this old flashlight?? That is pretty much what is most important to me: brightness. Color of the light is important too, but brightness and throw are my main focus. You post has definitely helped me out ...thanks!

7. BigGreenTick

With a higher power drop in remember to wrap it in thin copper tape or aluminum (strips cut from soda cans work great) to help with thermal transfer to the body of the light.

Norseman likes this.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Just wrap it tightly around the drop in?

9. BigGreenTick

Essentially yes. The goal is to bridge the gap between the drop-in and the body to help dissipate heat away from the LED.

Moco and ran23 like this.