1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Paracord

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by nicknwong, Apr 5, 2007.

1. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

Well i finally went and ordered some paracord from suppycaptain.com, which btw has excellent delivery times only took 4 days to get to Aus, well back to the point. I got colours black, coyote tan, white and navy blue. The problem is that one of the 7inner strands in the black cord is not white like the others but a light blue, slightly thinner and just looks like a whole bunch of threads lightly twisted. is this normal? does it affect the strength?

2. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

I've never seen that before on any of my paracord. Technically, it will affect the overall strength of the cord unless the light-blue thread is rated at or above 50lbs, since that is what the normal threads are rated at. It sounds like you might have received some defective or "imitation" paracord.

3. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

Yup, it is not as strong. The really bright or cool colors seem to be the cheaper kind while black, od, camos, tans are the real 7 strand deal. The outer wrap seems better quality on the 7 strand as well but not sure.

4. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

I've got over 20 different colors, most from supply captain, all have the 7 strand inner core...

There are cords available with what is called "junk" filler...not designed to support any loads...

5. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

SupplyCaptain usually sells the real deal so this is strange.
    Can you post a pic ?
    Do you have 6 white strands and one different or 7 and 1 ?
    If 6 and 1 post a macro pic as big as you can so we can take a look.

Luigi

6. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

well my skills at photo taking are highly dubious but I'll give it a try. Yeh its 6 white and one bluish.

Edit: Managed to take the pic. If you can't tell the 6 white strands are on top and the bluish one is at the bottom.
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w210/nicknwong/IMG_0509.jpg[/img]

7. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Yeah, that's how my latest batch of black paracord from Supply Captain looks like. I also have some with no colored inner strands (all white), and some with a single strand that's a combination of black & white. IMO, unless you're dealing with critical applications, the difference between this and "real" MILSPEC 550 paracord won't be of consequence.

Incidentally, the non-MILSPEC paracord doesn't have separate strands; the filler looks more like fluffy strands of very fine nylon. The jacket looks and feels different as well.

8. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

The MIL-SPEC and COMMERCIAL grade are vertually the same...I buy 1000ft spools from Supply Captain and some is 550-7 and some is 550 TYPE III COMMERCIAL...I can't tell the difference....other than as you mentioned, sometimes there is one odd colored or striped strand inside...or sometimes the strands are pinkish...

We only use the 550 rated cords...most lanyards made with 550 cord have the 7 strand core removed...otherwise they won't fit through most lanyard holes...For bracelets and harnesses we leave the core in....

However there is a type of cord out there not rated as 550 that has the fluffy or "junk" filler as you mentioned...great for plenty of applications....just not for parachutes ;)

9. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

I'm not too worried about its weight holding minus one strand. Just wanted to make sure that either me or supply captain didn't get ripped off.

10. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Loaded Pockets

Well i just ordered 600ft of 550 Paracord from Supply Captain and i live in Australia too. Lets hope it gets here in 4 days too :D

11. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

YAY an aussie!!! I was fairly suprised at the delivery time very suprising. I was actually told by another member (who i asked for a favour) that it would be unlikely for a 2 week turnaround. Are you goin to try you hand at lanyards to?

12. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Loaded Pockets

hahaha yup :p i know a few ways to tie up lanyards but theres a whole bunch more i found through this forum :p And i never knew ordering in the cord would be relatively cheap. I mean about $8us for 100ft isnt bad.

13. Eric Isaacson

Eric Isaacson Empty Pockets

I buy from Supply Captain and a few other dealers and I concur with LZ, there is very little noticeable difference between the commercial 7 strand and the Mil-spec stuff.

I like Supply Captain and I always get my order within days of placing it.

Eric