1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Paracord "survival pod"

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Max Archer, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

2. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

You could start out with a water proof pill case, found on ebay for super cheap. Fill that with the goodies, then you could do the cobra knot on top with paracord.

3. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I agree, for the space it takes up you could make it a lot better, and tailored to your specific needs :)

4. Signmaker

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

It's neat but...why? This is like a step below a "bug out altoids tin", which is about 8 steps below anything I would want to willingly rely on in a survival situation.

Also, I have to question the claim of 8' of paracord. What I'm seeing looks more like 2'.

If you were to build your own from scratch, I would understand, as it would be a neat little thing to show off to folks. But to buy it for $15? Pass. I'd sooner spend the money on another Mora to stash.

5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cool idea, but like most commercial paracord stuff the markup seems a little high. Since I don't smoke I like the idea of having fire without having to think about carrying a lighter. I've thought about making something similar with a "squinky" ball inside a monkey fist. But for the life of me I can't think of anything useful that would fit lol. The pill case seems like a better idea, but then the paracord wrap is just a gimmick imo. Way more practical to just carry the cord separate. This definitely gets the gears turning though.

6. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

This product isn't worth it. What I'm saying is that the "survival tools surrounded by a paracord wrap on a keychain" is an interesting idea that I hadn't seen before. It doesn't even have to be the same tools, or even for survival. I just think it's an interesting method of carrying some stuff.

Somebody did a video review, by the way, and it's just under 4' of paracord in two strands of about two feet each. Not too impressive.

7. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

There was another post about a paracord bracelet with the same gear. Looks like it is made by the same guys.

1-inch firesteel? I wonder if anyone has actually tried using a little thing like that? Worse, I wonder how usable it might be when you are really up the creek and shivering in the cold?

8. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with the others use a pill case tailored to fit your specific needs. A one inch firesteel, really? what are you supposed to do with that!. Half an inch (at least) is taken up gripping the thing leaving the other half an inch to start your fire. Thanks, I'll pass.

9. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

I've used tiny firesteel fragments and toggles (go to Firesteel.com to see what I mean) to successfully make fires. All you need to generate is 1 tactically-splaced spark ... just 1. 1/2" ferroceriums and mischmetals are not a problem to generate said spark - they are just uncomfortable as hell. What's more important is technique (practice, practice, practice!) and quality selection/structuring of your tinder sequence.

10. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I believe you. But my question is using under real-world or unfavorable circumstances. If I get to select and structure my tinder, I'm probably also using my Bic lighter rather than a little shard of ferrocerium.

11. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

Even in real-world and unfavorable circumstances, ferrocerium/mischmetal rods are collectively more efficient and more useful than Bic lighters. There's a ton of reference sources on the internet detailing the hows and whys.

In summation, you can't use a Bic in extreme altitudes, extreme cold weather, or in post-submersion scenarios. Plus, you step hard on a Bic, it's ruined. You step hard on a firesteel, you now have 2! Bics have multiple moving micr-components, firesteels have none. In windy scenarios, firesteels are much more efficient due to the high quantity of sparks it can flood out over an area.

For everyday urban/suburban/farm life, Bics are great. When adventuring or being self-reliant in extreme (read: hazardous and challenging environments) scenarios, firesteel is king.

12. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Your point about practice is a good one, but I'll practice and carry something a little bigger. I'm young, but already having problems with my hands :( tiny is not a good thing for me.

13. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

I have seen this product before and its not worth the money at all, but I do like the idea of making your own. You could probably fit some small X-acto blades in there witch would be much better than what that one has. You can also put a larger fire steel rod in there and I think you have a nice little go anywhere fire kit.

14. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

I made this. It has a prayer cloth in it. I've seen some on this site and others with fire steels. I've made a few with compasses in them. You could totally do one around a pill fob. A thing about the ones saying that this isn't a good survival thing because it isn't big enough... I carry at all times a knife and a lighter which I think is the very basic necessities anyone should have at all times. It's a much better survival kit than one that has a map, compass, fishing tackle, water purification tablets, knife, 42 fire steels and other fire making devices, a revolver and first aid that's sitting in a closet. In other words even though it's minimal it's better than coming out of the wreckage with nothing at all.

[​IMG]

15. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!