1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Paracord survival necklace

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by thegadgetnut, Jul 10, 2012.

1. thegadgetnut

thegadgetnut Loaded Pockets

I made this a couple years ago and have been meaning to share it. It's another way to carry some of your edc/survival items when you go out hiking or camping.

I also just uploaded a YouTube video about it and another about how to tie the barrel knots.
    [​IMG]

Luis Enriquez and lnytunes like this.
  2. Awaiting Petrichor

Awaiting Petrichor Loaded Pockets

Very cool, i love the spacers between each item, now THAT'S organisation :p

3. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

I think it is not very safe to wear rope or cord aroud your neck.

JonSidneyB likes this.
  4. thegadgetnut

Well I've thought about that. The black piece you see that would ride behind the neck is heat shrink tubing. It is used to bind the two ends of paracord in a fashion that is non-permanent. It will fail and come apart if a lot of force is applied to the necklace. But even so--like I said in the video, you don't have to wear it around your neck, just use it to keep some vital gear handy and grab the whole thing and toss it in your backpack when you're going outdoors.

5. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

The tubing connection could loosen in an accident, exactly when you need your survival kit. Like in a car crash or when you fall down a hill or in the water. Or in a plane crash, etc.

I think a mini survival kit should be in a small tin, pouch or clothing pocket, that is worn permanently close to the body, and that will not easily be lost in an accident.

The size, weight and contents of that survival kit should differ heavily, depending from the situation you expect to be in, that day.

6. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

At the other hand, there is a big advantage of tying all survival items to a cord. Since that will give some protection from losing items in an extreme survival situation, while using these items. Like while wading through a swamp or standing in deep snow in de dark of the night. Loosing one of those survival items while using them could be lethal.

7. thegadgetnut

Great points Dan2. I definitely carry more than would fit on this necklace when I plan on behing away from civilization--and although I usually keep those items in a pack you've made me think I should find a way to keep more essentials on my person instead.

It's nice keeping things together that you use together, and this necklace helps me do that. I usually keep a waterproof pill fob with vaseline cotton balls on this knecklace, the knife, and a firesteel+striker. That way I can grab it out of my bag and it's all together.

Just an idea I thought was useful and it was fun and simple to make so I wanted to share it in case others liked it.