1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

'Paracord' help. Skinth users???

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by coolerking, Mar 27, 2013.

1. coolerking

coolerking Loaded Pockets

I wanted some form of cord in my skinth. i looked at dyeema, leather stitchimg nylon thread but i ended up with.... REFLECTIVE TRACER KEVLAR ARAMID 3 STRAND CORE THAT IS 500KGS+ MBS AND ONLY 3mm diameter! I only have 3metres, 10ft ish of it and I don't want to cut it wrong and waste it basically. I want a bundle of it in my skinth underneath my leatherman wave, a few people i know have used this method to make it a little more accessable. i have seen someone with a nice neat little hank off 550 in there. Basically, i want to know ive anyone has played about with small compact hanks of similar stuff and if they can recomend an ideal length and the specific way to hank it. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  2. viix

viix Loaded Pockets

The para fob I had in my skinth was an idea from mzil! Check out his post at here http://edcforums.com/threads/paracord-key-fob-parafob.95898/. I used 5 feet but depending on what size your skinth is, you could use more. I know my xl skinth has room for more. How I did mine was to roughly make the parafob first then cut it when I think it is sufficient to fit the skinth.. Your milage will vary depending on the cord you're using too. Hope this info helps! Don't forget to post a loadout picture too! Can't wait to see it :)

SAKplumber likes this.
  3. coolerking

Ahhhh! I was googling mzil, didn't know he was a member! I'll go and hang my head in shame! ;)
    His thread is a good one and the videos are really good, thanks for sharing it with me.
    I have made one, not the best, I'm sure but it'll do. I used 5' as well, didn't want to chance it but as I have 10' of the cord, I can make two.
    The cord it's self seems really good quality, if anything, it's a little tough to work with tying in such a small hank. It is in the skinth, the wave sits a little higher, I'm just worried if I do plumb for the knipex grips/ratchet that they fit as well as the cord is so tough, it may not be as forgiving as your paracord.
    [​IMG]
    A sneaky glimpse of how the skinth is coming along there. ;)

4. coolerking

i have just realised, my skinth is the plus and yours is the xl, may not be able to fit the same sort of stuff in it as you! :(

5. coolerking

6. Enkidu
    • In Omnia Paratus

Enkidu Loaded Pockets

The splitring looks scary weak compared to the rope and grappling hook :eek:

7. coolerking

Yeah, it's a temporary fix. But on the other hand, there can't be too much weight going through the grappling hook it's self.

8. viix

viix Loaded Pockets

Nice! I find paracord not as useful though for the grappling hook. Always have my line caught in something sharp.. I've switch to using Zing-It cord and it works get! I spliced mine so it's knotless too!

Sent from my Mobile Command Centre on Tapatalk.

9. coolerking

I'll google the zing it cord. I've been looking at leather stitching thread, it's nylon and supposed to be weight rated too. Not as much but the idea for the pico isn't for it to be load bearing as such, its to get me out of potential pickles in an edc environment. I have the larger grappling hook if needs be with 100' of paracord.

10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Would lean towards a pigtail.... less wear on the aluminum and quiet like kitties stealing bacon from your pockets.

ATB,
    Sam

11. BilMacGil

BilMacGil Loaded Pockets

I don't believe thats a grappling hook, at least not in the classic sense. It was designed as an E.O.D. tool, to find trip wires and cables, rather than support a man's weight in climbing applications.

12. coolerking

Exactly, they are however good for retrieving items from under and behind things, the reason I carry it. I'd never even try to support anything with it, especially my weight. ;)
    The reason I have mentioned weight ratings on the cords etc, is because it is still being carried everyday and I want the best product I can get for the size of space I have available for the storage of it.

13. BilMacGil

BilMacGil Loaded Pockets

Coolerking,
    I responded off-topic because another forumite seemed to infer that the object might be used for load bearing, and I don't want anyone assuming this object is meant for that purpose. I didn't see anything in your post that I disagreed with, and am sorry for any misunderstanding.
    Bill

coolerking likes this.
  14. coolerking

No, no, I know, I didn't mean to make you think like that, just merely making a point.
    On another note, I'd like an actual grappling hook. But, I have no need for one...I barely have a need for the baby ones I have. ;)

BilMacGil likes this.
  15. viix

viix Loaded Pockets

yup, it's not for load bearing.. useful for retrieving objects and even snagged/snapped line! Had some fishing gear snap on me and I could see it in plan sight not far from the jetty I was fishing at.. out came the grappling hook and a couple of attempts later, I managed to retrieve it!

Very useful..

Leather stiching thread tend to fray overtime in my limited experience..
    There are 2 thickness.. and they are call Zing it (high viz yellow) & Lash- it (gray color line) avoid the orange fling-it. Rated to 400lbs (1.75mm) and 580lb (2.2mm), they are slick lines so they do not hold most knots well. They need to be spiced to maintain that strength and because they are spliced, they therefore don't have knots to snag on things as easily as other non aborist cord would..
    here's a vid on splicing it in case your interested..

Here's a pictorial over at hammockforums on splicing the line
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13328

Last edited by viix, Apr 3, 2013
    coolerking and Cornholio2188 like this.
  16. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Great idea! Now I want one!

coolerking likes this.
  17. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Stole this from the Skinth Loadout gallery
    Good as an alternative or just in case you need to push it higher.

coolerking likes this.
  18. coolerking

They're a funny item, you'll have no use for them yet they're so alluring. Then o e day, a situation will arise and it will totally justify your purchase! ;)