1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

paperwhite...

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by nosuchagency, Nov 1, 2019.

1. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

imo, a better venue in general for such a post... :cool:

have amassed a decent catalogue of downloads from kindle over time and am considering transition from tablet to paperwhite, maybe during next round of holiday discounts. tablet is in reading mode by default and seem to have gotten by fine up to this point, aside from weight... current ereader owners feel they've benefited and was worth separate investment?

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I have one of several years back, and it was genious when I first got it. However I wouln’t have bought it again today.
    There are several reasons for this, some of it is technology. Cellphones now have bigger screens and more pleasant backlight, which make them a workable if not ideal reading solution for travel. I like to travel as light as possible and I always have my phone and usually a computer or tablet as well. The Kindle is better for reading, but not enough to warrant another device.
    There is also the application and life in general part of it. I have less time to read these days, and I often read more factual litterature, that I actually often read on my computer, where I can easily compare diffrent sources and take notes.
    YMMV.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I don't have a smartphone -- I'm an antique flip phone hold out.

That being said, I've an early generation Kindle Paperwhite that I bought when I did a lot of business travel. I read books as well as some magazines on it. Worked out great for me on travel -- much better than carrying multiple paper based materials! As I said, mine is an early version. I still use it almost daily after 7 years...

The only issue I've ever had with it was not being able to save 'clippings'. This is a feature built into the software, which in theory should have allowed saving an article in a magazine to a 'My Clippings' file for transfer to my computer for example. But I do not use this feature. Every time I tried, all formatting (paragraphs, punctuation, etc) disappeared. In the beginning I tried calling tech support at Amazon. Total wasted effort. I would hope newer versions work better. But I have gone through a couple of software updates to the extent that my older device can be updated; this deficiency never got corrected.

And yes, I do still subscribe to a select few paper based magazines -- sometimes they're still cheaper, its easier to share articles given what I wrote about above, and there are days and locations wherein I prefer paper based.

So my take is, by all means give the Paperwhite a try; but confirm that you can return it if you're not satisfied...

Yes, I also have an iPad mini; there are some things not available for the Kindle -- mostly some religious things -- but for the most part I prefer the Kindle as a dedicated e-reader. Just more handy. Often both the Kindle and the iPad mini are in my edc bag as I'm out and about! As of course one or two paper based mags or books...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  4. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I have a smart phone, a tablet, a laptop, and a Kobo ereader which is basically a Kindle Paperwhite. I read on all of them. I will be buying a Kindle for myself at Christmas time. I simply can't stand reading for more than a half hour on a phone or tablet. When I want to read, I prefer to have a dedicated device. I find the ereaders to be much easier on the eyes for extended reading and they're distraction free as well.

5. EMarkM

EMarkM Empty Pockets

I could pretty much have written this post myself. I got one when they first came out, they’re amazing pieces of kit, but I have less time for reading now, and use either my iPhone or iPad for most things.

OP, if you want something that’s a little more robust and “lifeproof” than an expensive phone or tablet, it will suit you I’m sure.