1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Panic Travel EDC with photo

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Bas and Lokes Straps, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Bas and Lokes Straps

Bas and Lokes Straps Empty Pockets

G'day mates!

As someone who sometimes suffers from panic attacks and is not ashamed to admit it, I find that I have certain items that I like/need to have in the event of a panic attack when I am away from home. I find that the worst attacks happen when I leave the country, but they often happen while on home territory as well. To help me cope, I have had to develop a plan in advance and bring some things that can help get through it. Any of you have anything similar?

In addition to my regular urban EDC, these are the additional (panic edc kit) things I bring with me when I travel:

-Lightweight shortwave/fm/am radio (this helps me not feel so isolated and keep up with what is happening with the rest of the world and listen to music as well)
    -logic/puzzle books (helps distract me by forcing me to use a logical part of my brain)
    -a couple of photos of friends and family
    -an engaging book or sometimes a little prayer book
    -camo handkerchief with a relaxing scent on it like lavender
    -panic attack reading material so that I can remind myself that I am having a panic attack and nothing worse
    -my tiny ipod shuffle filled with guided meditations, calming music and guided breathing exercises
    -small leather dog tag style necklace with images of Jesus on the cross etched into it and Virgin Mary.
    -and panic meds, of course!
    This may sound like a lot, but its not, its a few things and they are mostly small and lightweight.

[​IMG]

I'd love to hear from any of you that have anything similar or items of comfort that help you feel more secure away from home.

Thanks for reading,
    -Bas

2. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

as far as specialty equipment, when I bicylce-commute to work, I carry a handful of wrenches (that i've never used!) with me, so I can't really criticize your choices; anyways, (the books/radio seem kind of hefty, but otherwise) this isn't too much extra weight to be carrying around.
    I keep a zune Hd with me. it's smaller than your radio, but i keep it in a pretty hefty case pelican 1030), so it's not that much of an advantage

i like that you have a manly pattern on your handkerchief that has a lavander scent on it. you gotta appreciate the irony there!
    frankly, if all this is all you need to feel at ease, you're a lot better than some people around here who carry backpacks full of things like adrenalin syringes and no medical training!

3. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

While I'm not glad that you suffer from panic attacks, I have to admit an admiration for the ingenuity of this setup. That's a lot of utility in a small space even if you didn't have panic attacks. My mom has panic attacks too, but medication seems to get her by.

4. Bas and Lokes Straps

Hello Jehan,

Nice to hear from you. You just made me laugh when you stated that you carried a handful of wrenches with you on our bike that you never used. :) The book is heavy, I guess I tossed it in there for show. I am very minimalist when I travel and hate carrying around all kinds of crap. I mostly carry around a couple of pages from the book that are helpful to read. I do bring the puzzle book. It is really skinny and lightweight like a magazine only a bit smaller. The little radio is REALLY lightweight. I love it. Weights like an ounce maybe. And it is about 6x4x2. Not bad. If it were bigger or heavier I wouldn't carry that thing anywhere. :) If I happen to find a good shortwave radio that is smaller I would get it, but this one is ok. Glad you like my manly hanky with lavender. :) That handkerchief used to belong to my beloved pit bull/lab mix dog Roxy who is the second dog on the right that you see in the photo. She was so special. Anyway, I'm not really a camo person and I loved that she was such a tough dog that I thought she looked cool in camo. She has since passed and I kept that as a reminder of her because she wore it often. So it is like having her around with me to keep protecting me. Funny irony though, lavender and camo! lol

Thanks for reaching out. :)
    -Bas

5. Bas and Lokes Straps

Hiya Godel Fan,

Nice to hear from you too . I hate getting these darn attacks. Some times they just come out of nowhere and leave after a short while and sometimes they linger. They're horrible. A nightmare really. Med's don't always help so I have had to develop other strategies to deal with them out of sheer desperation. Anyway, I'm sorry your mom gets them or that anyone does. I'm glad meds help her out.

Thanks for your nice comment :)
    -Bas

6. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

About five years ago, I was on my honeymoon and we were in Venice. The wife told me to leave the laptop at home. We got to our room, which was beautiful and right over a canal, we noticed no TV no radio. During our four day stay there it rained and the wind kept on rattling the shutters, never the less I had a really crappy time trying to sleep with nothing to drown out the sounds. This was the first week of a three week trip through Europe. We ended up getting a small portable dvd player in London before going on the rest of the trip, so I slept a lot better after that in the other places we visited. So now on the travel check list is a laptop or at the least my Zune HD or my wifes ipod touch with a ton of movies or TV shows loaded.

7. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELOSI2 + http://www.truecrypt.org/
    never leave home without it.

8. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I've suffered from mild bouts of anxiety, & generally I sip water & it goes away over time (~10 minutes)... Occasionally I'll feel psychically sick, but that's not a very common problem. Nothing in my edc is a must have, but a flashlight & my bloody nose supplies tend to be preventive to freaking out. Water is nice to have , but I can't always take my Sig full of water w/me. Music/video comes from my phone & a BT stereo headset (music gives me that buffer zone of peace from the world), so that is of course always on me.

9. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

10. Bas and Lokes Straps

It can be really easy sometimes when you are far from home and you find yourself rattled by something like bad weather and not being able to sleep and not knowing what to do with yourself. Even if you don't panic (like I do), it's nice to have something of comfort nearby. :) Thanks for sharing.

11. Bas and Lokes Straps

Good for you that you don't get really bad anxiety. I'm often cursed with it. Recently I was in Vietnam and there was one night that I was up sick (because of the food) and also having a panic attack and couldn't sleep (and I completely left behind my travel edc) and I was just miserable. I sat on the bathroom floor most of the night because I was too sick to lie in bed and I did not want to wake my partner as we happened to be staying in a small hotel room. I would have done anything to first feel better of course, but also to have had my friggin' ipod or my puzzle book or any of my other things to entertain/distract myself with. That was one of the longest most painful and upsetting nights ever. I don't think I will ever make the mistake again to leave these things at home. They don't cure me, but they help distract me some times.