1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Panic/political purchases?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by LivingUpNorth, Oct 10, 2016.

1. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Being a firearm owner over the past 8 years has been simultaneously cool and exhausting. Cool, because of the bevy of great new products and availability of previously banned items (i.e. AWB items and such). Exhausting, due to the nearly continuous ammo shortages and endless bombardment of propaganda prophesying gun control doom. That said, for this election cycle, I don't plan on being caught off guard. I've been purchasing ammo in reasonable amounts whenever I have a little extra $$...I'm definitely not one of those guys who clears shelves of all .22LR available! I also got into reloading, which has brought down the cost of my .45Auto and .38Special considerably. Finally, I purchased a new XDM-45 and couple extra magazines while they're still readily available.

Has anyone else done something similar? Or have we all finally caught up with the shortages and bought all the guns and ammo we need (want, really)? Will there be another "ammo-geddon" like we've seen in the past couple of years?

2. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

[Pardon me breaking your post up into the individual questions.]

1. I have not.
    2. I do not have any firearms-related wants or needs at present.
    3. I do not know, nor am I worrying about it.

0dBm likes this.
  3. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

I don't buy guns or mags in mass quantities, but I do buy ammo... without ammo, you just have a very intricate door stop.

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

The election has no influence on my purchases.

charlie fox and 0dBm like this.
  5. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Been through enough to see no major effect on my bottom line. If you buy Ammos in bulk don't forget to rotate your stocks.

6. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

only thing I've purchased that I wouldn't have already was 3 high capacity mags for a 2011. Don't have one, but want one in the future. I ordered 3 lowers, one for each member of the family, but i was doing that when my son was born anyway.

If you reload, stock up on primers and powder. way cheaper and easier to store than ammo. I have something like 12k rounds of 9mm in my garage, or 8k rounds of 45 depending which way I want to go.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The last time this was really perceived as "Mattering" was when the current administration was elected and I am not too sure there is a lot of new fear over the possibility of Hillary,is there?
    Most of the panic buying follows mass shootings directly when there is a new knee-jerk reaction to the carnage and thus in a desperate attempt to do anything of substance there is an attempt to grab the "Low Hanging Fruit" of the guns and ammo already in the retail channels for sale.

Obama pretty much admitted to giving up in this fight and so far there has not been a lot of real progress towards rounding the bad stuff up from the left so I have no new fears as of now about this aside from the obvious what the hell can we expect from the next month until the election here in every other way?!

And the Circus Side Show goes on.

8. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

If one wants to be armed having ammo is part of the game . I think buying extra is a great idea . I keep plenty ,it's just part of game . The small stock in the stores is not going to last long . Get a little and just relax .

Jake

Gustavo Melro and LivingUpNorth like this.
  9. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I don't shoot enough to be warehousing a cache of guns and ammo. I'm down to maybe 200-500 rounds a month total. I have enough ammo and reloading components to last me a few years. Likewise I have plenty of mags for my pistols and rifles. That being said, if I come across a really good deal on a gun, ammo, accessory or reloading component that I really need/want, I'll buy.

I do not have the time or patience of buying huge quantities of firearm stuff and using them as currency in panic situations. I don't begrudge those that do, but it's not for me.

10. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I built a light weight 10" AR pistol earlier in the year as I had a bolt and carrier lying around... have been playing with a 9mm pistol caliber carbine for the new USPSA PCC division...my 3 gun is typically with a .22lr for the long gun... buying .22lr ammo when it is around $.08/round or better but I've been a competitive USPSA style shooter for almost 34 years now...don't need to really purchase anything else... did get 164# of cleaned 9mm brass early in the year

[​IMG]

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  11. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Deep and steep for ammo for the last 15+ years. I even added a few additions during the "Lean" years.

For those that get worried about .22 LR being hard to get. Look in to the .17 hmr, it is a bit more expensive but it gives you a very good small game round. It is also very accurate, surprising in the accuracy department.

It was also available all the time. I could even walk in to wally world and it was on the shelf.

12. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I purchased early because I anticipated panic buys. I'm not stockpiling... Only ensuring that my weekend hobby doesn't get put on the back burner.

I will admit that I purchased a beater for the panic buyers. But I'm not worried about a door to door confiscation.

For what it's worth.. The last 8 years has shown tremendous innovation in the firearms industry

13. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

I clear house during panic buys, put that money to the side, and buy double when things come back down.

(NOT gouging, ill put stuff on gunbroker at regular price no reserve, and see where it goes)

Only thing I was hurting for last time was .22, but made sure it wont happen again.

14. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

I am shooting ammo from WWII - as long as you store it in a cool and dry place, your ammo will outlive you. You certainly do not have to rotate.

Every paycheck I buy some mags and ammo. Every few months a complete lower. After Sandy Hook there was a 3 month period where you couldn't find ANY 9mm or 223, let alone mags or lowers.

At one point I listed a 2 pmag lot on Gunbroker - sold for 250 bucks. I crap you not.

If you are prepared, it can be very lucrative. Prices have been so incredibly low over the past 2 years that anyone who gets caught out in a panic has absolutely zero excuse.

Strayz and Adam Ng like this.
  15. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

While I generally agree, I don't like the idea of gouging my fellow 2A enthusiast, just to make a buck or 3. It seems kinda creepy and slimy. I am not calling you that, it is just that I see it a lot up here in AK and people justify it as "supply and demand." If prices are getting that crazy I will just hold mine and ration it a bit more depending on the reasons that pricing is going wonky.

16. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

There is one big difference ,this time it won't be coming back . The court will do her dirty work . Just like Heath care , it only got worse .

Jake

17. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Shortly before the 2012 elections I ordered a pretty good quantity of ammo in several calibers. Not because I was stockpiling, or prepping, or hoarding, but because buying ammo in bulk is the least expensive option.

I used to pretty regularly go to the range to shoot. What can I say, I just enjoy target practice. I was in law enforcement for about 15 years and range time was always fun for me. The timing had nothing to do with the elections in 2012. It was because I was running low on practice ammo and needed to restock.

Since then, I have not gone to the range once. Shortly after that was the Sandy Hook incident, and there was a lot of panic buying. So I didn't want to go shoot up all of my ammo if I would not be able to easily replace it. Which is stupid, since I like going to the range and I have a crap-ton of ammo sitting there waiting for me.

So no, I don't panic buy. I just wish that we would not have these self-inflicted shortages. Used to be, you went and bought a few boxes of ammo, went to the range and turned your money into smoke, and went home. You never worried that the next time you went to the store, they would be out of ammo. If those times would come back, I would have no more ammo "stockpiled" than what I might need for the next range visit. Maybe 200 to 300 rounds, tops.

18. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I was on the waiting list for 2 years to join my local range. Now that I'm in, I find out they don't allow rifle rounds or even 9mm fired from a rifle barrel since we're too close to the highway. Pistols and 22/17hmr only.

Ok, no problem! I have a 22 conversion for the AR, 22 1911, and 22 bolt gun. I can train and enjoy with that. So I ended up picking up $300 worth of 22 ammo rather than a new gun. This will allow me to shoot almost every weekend through the next election, even if I never replace. I figure I'll use it anyway, and I don't want to quit shooting like I had to in 2012 since ammo could not be found.

19. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

vote wisely, as it may be the real deal breaker

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  20. ca survivor

ca survivor Loaded Pockets

I buy guns to piss Democrats and I have pissed off a lot of them. :rofl: