1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

PALS-compatible MESH water bottle holder?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by yellowhammer, Sep 7, 2009.

1. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

Does such a beast exist? A friend wants to put mesh water bottle pockets onto his bag, something like on a MaxP Pygmy Falcon. The mesh mini rollypoly just doesn't do it for him I'm afraid. Does the EDCF hive-mind know of an alternative? ;D

2. secondstoryguy

secondstoryguy Empty Pockets

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Don't know of any mesh ones, but the Mystery Ranch one is very light, compressible and simple. It's only 60 grams (ca. 2 oz.) so mesh wouldn't save much weight. Also, it's not just a simple bag, it actually has a stiff insert in the back (ca. 5x2"), and attaches from both ends, it so doesn't just flop around. Of course, it's still not see-through, if that's what you want.

I just received mine today, btw. ;D

4. yellowhammer

Thanks SSG, but the Rollypoly isn't what he's after. They do (or did) a mesh version though I haven't seen one for a while.

That could work, but I can't see from the pics how it mounts to the PALS. Any chance of a pic when you've stopped fondling your new MR goodness? ;D

5. Valerian

I'm at work right now, so can't take pics, but will do later. Basically it has a strap with a SRB on it, one that you can just fit through a PALS loop. Haven't really put it through its paces yet, but seems to be stable enough.

6. Valerian

Ok, I took some very quick & dirty pics for you.

Back view:
    [​IMG]
    There's a strap with an SRB in it and a crosswise strap in the middle.

I tried to take a pic of how it fits into MOLLE but that was difficult.
    [​IMG]
    It takes up three rows and a single colum (for the strap, but it's wider than a single column, of course). I feed the strap through first and third row, and then click the SRB together under the pouch's crosswise strap (this leaves the middle PALS row unused). Then pull the attachment strap tight. It appears that they put the stiff plastic insert into it so it doesn't bunch up when you tighten the strap. It also stabilizes the sideways movement a little, but it still only uses one column, so it's not entirely stable with a water bottle in it. The bottom doesn't flop around, though, as it attaches both from top and bottom. I'd rather see it use two columns and be a little wider and flatter in profile. But it's still a nice lightweight and compact solution. Much better than a Rollypoly.

And a third pic, in use:
    [​IMG]

7. yellowhammer

They actually look pretty cool. I thought the srb was on the front for some reason. :rolleyes: Thanks for the pics buddy! :)