1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Palladium Desert Boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by jemhouston, Aug 13, 2010.

1. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

2. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

JemH, while I've never tried those...I have loved canvas topped boots since my jungle boot days. I recently bought these LL Bean waxed canvas hunting shoes:

http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignature/llb/shop/65130?subrnd=1&parentCategory=505906&feat=505906-sigtn&cat4=505905#BVRRWidgetID

also reviewed them there - (mine's marked Top 100 reviewer) I've already ordered another pair.
    LL Bean guarantees them forever, but the canvas is a limited run.

If you like 'em, and you've already used the Palladium boots for this long....I'd buy you a few pairs, man!
    If you are like me, ...it's crazy hard for me to find shoes/boots I like....I got many pairs of keens in the attic too...just in case. lol!

3. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

I've had a pair for over a year, and absolutely love them. Think of a Chuck Taylor All-Star with a more aggressive tread pattern. Ultra lightweight and breathable. Just don't wear them in the rain if you don't like your feet to get wet.

4. bitpusher

bitpusher Loaded Pockets

Been meaning to get a pair for a while - all I hear are good things...

5. jemhouston

I broke down over the weekend and ordered a pair. I didn' really need them, but I had the extra money, so I got them.

I'll either Armor-All or Scotchguard them before I start wearing them.

I'll try to rememember to post a review after wearing them for a month.

6. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Loaded Pockets

I'm also very curious about these. Please let us know how sizing runs.

7. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

They look like boots that were marketed As Israeli commando boots. I had a pair and if I recall they were comfortable but not very durable.

8. jemhouston

first impressions

They arrived Friday. I just tried them and walked around the apartment, so this is just the first impressions.

1. The heels (1”) and sole (1/2”) are thick. They were comfortable to walk in.

2. The uppers remind me of the Keds sneakers. It’s not padded, but they’re reinforcing around the top.

3. Sizing is accurate with one caveat. The length is good, but I was wearing thick socks, width wise it was snug. You can’t order wide width, so keep that in mind.

4. For $55, I’ll be happy if they last three months, I’ll be happy. That's based on the fact most shoes I tend to go through fast. Something about the heel collapsing causing me knee / neck pain.

9. znslab

znslab Loaded Pockets

I bought a pair of these in March for travel and general wear, I've probably had them on my feet for around 6 weeks in total and they were extremely comfortable and breathable from the start.

However, they are starting to show signs of wear and tear already. With the canvas starting to split from the edge of the toe cap and the lining worn through in a number of spots, and the insole is starting to disintegrate. I bought them from a bricks and motar store in the UK for around £50 and was hoping to get a bit more wear out of them for the price.

I'm planning on replacing them with some canvas boots from the French firm Aigle, they make one style called Soldano http://store.aigle.com/Catalog/Product.aspx?ProductID=P035(CATALOG_PRODUCTS)&variantID=3246575348933&categoryID=web-homme-chaussures(CATALOG_PRODUCTS) or Tenere 2 http://store.aigle.com/Catalog/Product.aspx?ProductID=P0870(CATALOG_PRODUCTS)&variantID=3246575350691&categoryID=web-homme-chaussures(CATALOG_PRODUCTS).

Aigle has a background in hunting and fishing gear so I hope that their versions of the boot might be a bit more robust.

10. TuhonBillMcG

TuhonBillMcG Empty Pockets

I brought similar boots in the 1980's from Banana Republic (back when it was a cool semi-mil surplus store). Back then they were advertized as Isreali Commando boots. I could squeeze into a regular width back then. Now that I need wide widths I got these: http://www.zappos.com/dunham-cloud-midcut-grey
    Just as breathable as the old canvas boots, but a lot more durable.

11. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

Would like to hear what you have to say about them because in my opinion they are WAY too soft in the in sole/outsole.

The israeli commando version is WORSE, WAY WORSE. To the best of my understanding the israeli commando version never came into wide spread use. Some little company over there still keeps making them though because for what ever reason people keep buying them.

I good purchase would be the late 70's era FFL boots! Similar to this - http://www.military-boot-manufacturer.com/product/276-combat-boots-1010-bc1010-8763/

If you are lucky enough to find a pair and than if you are dedicated to going through the absolute punishment of breaking them in, those are boots that will go for MILES!

12. JSonn

JSonn Loaded Pockets

13. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

I just got my Palladium Baggy Leather boots and I like them. I bought them to wear daily and possibly for hiking, but I have yet to hike in them. They look neat and seem pretty rugged.

[​IMG]

14. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Loaded Pockets

They look good. Let us know how the work out.

15. jemhouston

I've worn the Palladium for the past four months. It's been urban terrain, every other day of use. The only thing I did before I started wearing them was two coats of Scotch Guard.

The heel is almost an inch thick, narrowing to about 0.5" at the toe. The sole is showing some wear, a rounding on the heels and a smoothing on the front.

The plastic (?) toe isn't showing wearing. There's rubbing off the dye where the shoelaces hit the fabric. The top isn't showing wear other than those areas.

I'm not sure if my knees are going bad or my walking style, but I tend to go through shoes fast. Non-solid heels seem to be worse. When my back / neck start hurting during wear, I switch shoes. So far, I haven't that.

When I started wearing them, I wish there was more padding. I handled that with thicker socks. I have gotten wide shoes to use with gel pads, but since these are only in standard width, I didn't try that.

I do think they're a good value for the money. Will I get another pair, yes. I may try a different color other than chestnut, just to see if the wearing pattern stays the same.

Two things to be aware of, first, given how long it takes me to get in and out of them, wearing them through a TSA checkpoint, these wouldn't my first choice. -

The other thing is more serious. When I went to Iowa over Thanksgiving, I didn't take them. Since the tops remind me of Keds sneakers, I thought the fabric would be too thin to keep my feet warm.

During early December, I wore them during upper thirties temperatures. In the roughly 75 yards from my car into work, my feet got cold. I wouldn't wear these shoes in temperatures lower than mid-forties.

16. Carvenstein

Carvenstein Loaded Pockets

I have used the short version most of this summer. They are fun looking, and the foreign legion angle is interesting, but I will put my trust in my Russell moc boots when it counts.

17. jemhouston

Last time I ordered, I got hightops and low tops. I'm currently wearing the low tops. I maybe doing some hiking next week, so I broke out the hightops to wear. I'm curious to see how they do.

18. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I've had a pair for about a year, worn at work and off work and I really like them----plus they have a great history...I will for sure buy another pair when these wear out...

19. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

Ive been wearing my leather ones pictured above since I got them almost a year ago. They are much more brown and black now from over 100 miles of hiking and daily abuse, but they have held up great. I took them hiking in the snow once, bad idea, my feet got soaked. Good thing I was wearing wool socks so I stayed a little warm. Cut that hike short by a lot.

I recently for the "Baggy Lite" version of these boots, which is a lightweight summer version. In fact, each boot weighs under 10 ounces, they is less than most running shoes I have seen. To accomplish this they use lighter canvas and instead of rubber soles, they are flexible foam. You can compress the sole with your finger, but I hikes over 20 miles in the in a weekend and they took the abuse well, no noticeable damage.

They are going to release a waterproof goretex-lined version sometime soon. I plan on getting those, and I might pick up some of the canvas shoes at some point because they are reasonably priced. I definitely recommend these boots. Even got a cute pair in blue for my girl when I ordered my Lites.

Palladium Baggy Lite
    [​IMG]

20. srm450v2

srm450v2 Empty Pockets

I've had my Palladium Pampa boots for a little under a year. I've worn them daily for most of that period, and my only complaints are the durability and lack of waterproofing. The canvas likes to separate from the rubber toe on the top of the boot; this is not limited to mine, as I have friends with pairs that are experiencing the same.
    Fixing this durability issue and adding a gore-tex version would likely result in me buying another pair.