1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Paleo Diet and core strength..anyone?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ketchupgun, Sep 2, 2012.

1. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

^^ yes mudinyeri

Agree totally and thanks for the tips

The one thing raw veganism opened me up to the notion that your food should come from a farm, not a factory. The more "unrefined" your food is the better. Cant argue with fresh fruits and veggies over frozen tv dinners.

Im looking to hopefullly find someone ina circle of friends who hunts, maybe barter for some of his game...do some family photos for hi or something.

And u say your not the typical american family...isnt that sad? U seem to have it all figured out to me!

Now, you want to talk "smoothies" with a former raw foodist? Lol. I'm a full on vitamix toting smoothie fanatic!

This is my go to:
    Spinach
    Banana
    Coconut water
    Agave
    Cocoa
    Protien powder
    Barley grass
    Hemp seeds
    Plankton (oceans alive or e3live)

Blend! Breakfast! Viola

Lunch is usually a smoothie too...i really do love them. Sometimes soup and salad. Or a spelt flax type cracker with hummous or gucamole. Stuff like that

And dinner is usually a salad and either legumes or an animal protien (eggs, steak, chicken) if i can get full organic grass fed types

Thats what im doing as of late to get myself back on track. Sropped 5lbs im two weeks. (i guess that 2 month lonh nachos and starbucks habit was a mistake lol)

Gotta get on the working out basics!

2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've had done success listing weight since trying the south beach diet. No matter what you try the best advice I can give you is to forget the marketing pitch catch phrases and learn WHY it works. South beach, paleo, and many other popular diets are modified carb diets. They work for weight loss because controlling your blood sugar fluctuations helps control your appetite. Once you understand how that works you can make your own decisions about moral/spiritual/environmental/detox/etc parts of your diet.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

keeper, powerring and ketchupgun like this.
  3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you're in pretty good shape on the diet side of things, ketchup. Let's talk exercise.

As I said, the basics are a good place to start. You can purchase a pull-up bar that hangs on a door frame for $20-$40. You can do push-ups and sit-ups for free. As with any exercise, form is essential.

Often, we assume that people know what good form is when discussing a particular exercise. That, of course, is not always the case. If you're not familiar with the form of a given exercise, you can take a video of yourself performing the movements and/or have someone watch you who is familiar with good form. (I prefer video.)

Here are a few videos to help with good form (I have no association with any of these):

Push-up Form:

Pull-up (fast forward to 1:25):

Sit-up (or Crunches):

The knees-to-chest in the last video - and the leg extensions, once you can do them without arching your back - are also very good for building core muscles. Full-motion sit-ups will engage the hip flexors to a greater degree. That's not a bad thing if you're walking and carrying equipment. You might consider crunch-style and full-motion sit-ups both as a part of your regimen.

Edit: If you're goal-oriented, you might consider the 100 push-ups challenge at: http://hundredpushups.com/

sungame likes this.
  4. ketchupgun

Thx Mud!!!
    Thats really helpful

Right now i aim for core stuff like planks and supermans and raises that my chiropractor reccomended And i added pushup ups and some ligjt weights for bi, tri, and shoulders

Im already seeing improvements in my post-shoot days after hauling so much gear. Cinemtographers i know speak highly of the hip flexer u mentioned.

Thx again

5. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I don't find local produce necessarily to be less expensive. It's definitely better most of the time, not always less $$.

Yeah, traditional meaning the food pyramid, the 40-30-30, there are several. I believe that it's quite certain that different people digest, store, etc. different foods in many different ways. Some people may find wheat/whole grains a big improvement over white/sugar bread, but others may have the same or worse results with wheat...and I'm not even talking gluten intolerance and things like that.

I think it's good to experiment and find what works for you. Working out is important, but fact of the matter is that what you take in for food is so much more important. When you get to the point where you're doing and dedicated to both, you can treat your body like an experiment and see what works best to fuel the machine. My diet plan was designed by an athlete who has made the Crossfit Games two years in a row. I have some hardcore fitness friends up here who don't think it has enough carbs in it, but it obviously works for him, and it's worked for me.

6. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Tayloring it to your self is key. I was doing very strict primal diet for a bit but found I can't give up my peanut butter, and still enjoy some beans every once in a while. Also dairy causes me no ill effects, so I still enjoy milk and cheese on a regular basis.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

7. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, many just go 80% of the time. Thinking you will do it 100% of the time is setting yourself up for failure. So tailor to what works. Eat strict during the week when in a routine, but "splurge" some on the weekends. Better to be at 80% and sustain than to go 100% for 2 weeks and the fall off the wagon.

ketchupgun likes this.
  8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

All I see is grass fed beef. Where is all the non-grass beef being raised at?

9. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Most are gress feed at some point, but lots are then grain feed to fattin them up before they go to slaughter.

If any one has the chance watch Food inc., and Fat Head, both are rather eye opening. I know both can be seen on Netflix and i beleave you can find them free online.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It used to be almost all the beef I had was from animals I had seen or raised by a relative or someone I knew. I don't know how much has changed but when I was younger the cattle was moved to catch a train. I will have to assume the train was taking them to a feed lot. I remember one rancher Mr. Barns told me the cattle what we had moved was headed to Chicago.

11. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

lucky you.......
    I live in a primarily agricultural area in Wales.....the meat we buy from smaller local butchers is extremely expensive compared to the rubbish we can buy from supermarkets, but that's economics eh? We know that our 'local' meat is pastured because I know the farms the meat comes from, the meat from Asda or tesco is far more likely to be fattened on grains etc at the end of their lives.
    I buy local when I can afford to, which really isn't that often anymore. This NHS pay freeze is killing me!

12. ketchupgun

The butcher at whole foods pointed this out to me. There is 100% grass fed amd then there are some that are fed some grain at the end to add "marbling" of some fat. So the choice is there

Personally, from all the research ive done, i cant bring myself to get comventionally raised meats. The hormones chemicals and drugs freaks me out...yes im in a paranoid minority, but i guess ive also conditioned myself to eat very little meat in an average month (ie: for those times i can afford the good stuff)

billybatson likes this.
  13. ketchupgun

On A dairy note: where you live, can u get raw unpastuerized milk? Its illegal for a farmer to sell it here in ontario, which is total :censored:. (u can however consume it if u own the cow...so if u can find it, there R cow share programs where u buy a share in a cow on a farm and get a percentage of its raw milk from the farmer (ie: loophole)

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

There is very little in the way of dairy operation here that I know of, just massively large amounts of land that cattle roam on. The idea of unpastuerized milk bothers me. My dad was killed by menengitis caused by listeria which likely came from milk.

sungame likes this.
  15. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

They can sell it to you so that you can feed It to your dog...

16. ketchupgun

There is no doubt a debate on raw milk. Debate is healthy.
    Legislation preventing one from making their own decision bothers me.

Back to core strength. Is it ok to spread a 40min work out over spurts during the day? I find an hour hard to come by lately, but if i do 10min here and 10min there over the course of the day, does thAt still work, or is it better all in one sitting?

17. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

18. ketchupgun

I'm not buying it. Yes if the farm next door is using pesticides..they will encroach, but I'm not buying this misinformation:
    http://www.infowars.com/debunked-ridiculous-study-claims-organic-same-as-conventional-video/

however, there was some nastiness going down in Europe I believe with some companies claing 100% and it totally wasn't...but that's different than these current spread of lies.

19. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

"Lies" is kind of a strong word, no? What don't you trust about a study from an elite medical school? And if you can't trust this study, can you really ever trust any of them? Personally, I read everything with a healthy dose of skepticism, so I understand that part of it. Anyway...

sungame likes this.
  20. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I have to say that I agree with Mr. Cone here. Yes, it is a good idea to read anything with a good dose of skepticism. However, that skepticism should mean that you look closely at the source(s) of any information. In this case, as T.H.Cone has already mentioned, the source is a study from a very well known university. Also, if you look a bit closer, it is a meta study. That means it combines the results of other studies, in this case 237 of them. Of course, there might be bad apples among these studies, but there is no way Stanford researchers wouldn't have found out if a significant percentage were seriously flawed.

Also, it is worth noting that the researchers do not claim that there is absolutely no difference between organic and non-organic vegetables. They did, for instance, find that eating organic produce could reduce the risk of pesticide exposure by about 30%. The conclusion of the article is that:

All in all, I take this to mean that there might be health benefits from eating organic food, but they are not likely to be very significant. Also, the authors did not find strong evidence that these benefits were actually real.

The authors of the article also warn that:

So, again, a healthy dose of skepticism is totally appropriate, but there is no need for calling serious scientists liars.

If anyone is interested, a quick clicking of links led me to the entire article, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine.