1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Paleo Diet and core strength..anyone?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ketchupgun, Sep 2, 2012.

1. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

I was over on Everyday-carry.com and noticed reference to "paleo eating" ... I never knew this had a name, but I've sorta been doing it for awhile.

due to health reasons, I spent about 2 years trying out Organic Raw Vegan, and although cumbersome in Canadian climate, I dropped 30 lbs in no time. It was easy to do when both my wife and I were doing it. Since getting pregnant, food aversions have left this diet by the wayside, but I still REALLY enjoy making a green smoothie every morning.

Anyways, since having our little boy, I've concluded the following:
    - animal protien is essential in building muscle
    - if you need to detox, RAW vegan is the way to go, no doubt.
    - white starches, flour, carbs of the sort are terrible for you.

And in looking up Paleo, it seems its the same conculsion? Can anyone share any thoughts or expeierences with this. I'm in the midst of trying to drop 20 lbs and build up muscle to help me with all the photography gear I schlepp on a daily basis ... which has lead to back issues .. which I realize is a lack of muscle and esp core strength.

Any reccos on work outs how to better building core strength and muscle?

thx!

2. gdd808

gdd808 Empty Pockets

If you want to build really strong core (especially lower back and abs) look for calisthenics training, or some recreational stuff like yoga.
    I work out on a daily basis, and for the core i do leg lifts, clutches, flags, bridges, various planks. But actually if you perform the "big basics" properly (push-ups, squats, bridges) they will work on your core too. And don't forget, that swimming is maybe the best all around workout, especially if you got problems with your back.

3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Ya, I noticed the "paleo trail mix". Didn't know what "paleo" was and had to look it up. After some reading, it seems like the jury is still out on this diet/lifestyle. But, as a bit of a caveman myself, I thought it quite funny that it is sometimes referred to as the "caveman diet".

4. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Paleo and Zone a popular diets in the Crossfit world. They work great for building lean muscle mass. You're right in that white flour, sugar, even wheat flour are really quite bad for you in more than a minimal amount. You can get your carbs from fruit and veggie sources. Dump the bad carbs and you'll not only see the results on the scale, but you'll feel so much better.

5. Jag-Stang

Jag-Stang Loaded Pockets

^I was going to say, the Crossfitters are really into the Paleo thing. I was on the diet for a while, I just can't get myself to commit to it.

villaphoto likes this.
  6. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I must agree with the calisthenics thing. I've just started Mark Wade's 'Convict Conditioning' bodyweight exercises and it's great. I used to lift HEAVY, but gave it up due to a bum knee, bum hamstrings and a knackered rotator cuff. I put on a load of fat due to my changes in lifestyle and diet.
    I recently lost 14lbs in a month by cutting out all refined starches/carbs and walking more.

yakuzaboss likes this.
  7. T.H.Cone

Obviously, diet and exercise play a big role in a person's weight, but, sometimes, I think the real problem isn't what are you eating, but, rather, what's eating you? Answering that question is at least as important as calories consumed.

billybatson, keeper, thwippa and 2 others like this.
  8. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I try to stay on the palo die and was doing great for a while then events starte getting in the way and making it hard. I'm still at ~60% paleo diet thoug and feel amazing especially when I'm Better with it.

9. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

To be honest, a genuine Paleo diet if financially beyond most people. I certainly can't afford grass fed beef and organic everything anywhere near 100% of the time.

10. ketchupgun

yeah I hear ya.

on a related note, hunting has struck an interest to me as of late...it would make sense a wild animal is naturally (albeit not certified) organic, grass fed ;) non? (having never actually held a rifle or bow, it's safe to assume I'd starve before i ate anything on my own. I'd need to go with some experienced folks.)

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  11. T.H.Cone

A vegan who wants to hunt? I've pretty much heard it all now.:p

12. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I have no advice to offer about the paleo thing, but as T.H. Cone mentions, it seems like the jury is still out on that one.

When it comes to core strength, I have two recommendations. Both regard Norwegian inventions, so I don't know how helpful they are in the US:

• RedCord or other sling training: I don't know if slings are available at many US gyms, but if they are, give them a try. Sling training is a safe and efficient way to strengthen the entire body, the core muscles in particular. I do push ups and a sort of plank exercise in slings as a component of my weekly strength routine. If you cannot find a gym with slings, you can use one of these large inflatable exercise balls for many of the same exercises.
    • Cat Slide: Another efficient way of strengthening most of your body - again with focus on the core - in one workout. The great advantage of this method is that you can do it at home. All you need is a set of four little mats and about 2 square meters of smooth floor. Yes, it looks rather stupid, but it actually works! In periods with injury preventing me from other forms of exercise, or when going to a gym wasn't an option, I have used these with great results.

ran23 likes this.
  13. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

Some fiftheen years ago I tried something that a nutritionist explained as "how our predecessors eat"

Basicaly it was something like that, though it was more concentrated on period in day connected to specific food...

What was the story:
    - Humans evolved on this type of diet for ages before "storage units for preserving food". And it sounds logical!! In the morning when they awake there were nothing for food, so they rely on what they pick around shelters... Raw veggies and fruits were the nearest and easiest to find, and more or less full of energie and sugar. So after that they went hunting for food. Hunters eat again what they find while hunting, and back "home" there were cooked meal for lunch, but only cooked veggies which again they managed to collect arround... Meat was served (when served) not before dinner when hunters came back home and it was cooked!! So no bread, salt, sugar....

People here call sugar, flower and salt "white death"

This is just short and quick explanation by my words of a 100 pages book... I tried it and it works! But as all diets you must be persistant!!

There is one more fact... In everything you do, you must be persistance for 21 day (or so), after that it becomes habbit!! After 21 day your body push you!

You can try that by pushing yourself to eat 21 day in exact same time, after 21 day you would be able to wind your clock by your body crave for food in that time!

14. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

I have been eating closer to the 'Primal' diet as advocated by Mark Sisson (Daily Apple weblog) rather than Paleo....just because we can have bacon. I like bacon.

I just picked up a copy of Charles Bronson's 'Solitary Fitness'....he's the British armed robber who essentially lives in solitary confinement due to his history of assaults and escape attempts (but also for his own good now as there's plenty of inmates who could use him to make a name for themselves). It has mixed reviews on Amazon, but I really like Charlie Bronson.

yakuzaboss likes this.
  15. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702

here is a good book that gives the science behind paleo type of eating, also the author isn't try to sell anything except the book. I like Mark Sisson, but i always prefer someone that dosn't use there book to pitch there own product.

16. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I've read Taubes' book Why We Get Fat and it's very eye-opening. Nutrition is tough, and there is a lot of mixed reviews on everything. Too many people afraid anything but the traditional way of eating.

Paleo is expensive, but eating healthy in general is expensive. I'm convinced that's a big part of the obesity problem in the US. You can get two double cheeseburgers at McDonalds for 2 bucks, but $2 won't get you much fruit.

ketchupgun and gstojinovic like this.
  17. wheelsoffreedom76

wheelsoffreedom76 Loaded Pockets

Last edited by wheelsoffreedom76, Dec 4, 2012
  18. ketchupgun

Haha..no, the "raw vegan" phase wasn't for animal rights...LOL...it was for ease of digestion/detox...lots of greens, nuts, legumes, and fruits. (no breads at all either). Amazing way to clean yourself out and lose weight...but I think I lost some muscle in the process...which I'm thinking is due to lack of animal protein.

Though i still think factory farmed animal is not a good scene for them and in turn for us consuming them. When i do make steaks, i do go for the organic grass fed. And i hear new zealand lamb is like the best healthiest meat in the world.
    (i bbq a killer steak by the way...learned from a friend who competes in grilling competitions)

all in all, I'm convinced the refined sugars and carbs are bad bad bad (for me at least)....despite how deliscious they are...minimal quantities, at least.

19. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Depends on where you buy it, a big part of paleo is eating local food. There is a ranch not to far from me where I can buy organic grass fed beef for about 5$ a pound when you buy 1/4 a cow or more. Also I buy all most all my produce from local farmers markets. I spend alot less then when i used to shop at the grocery store.

By "traditional" are you refering to the food pyramid? If so that was forced down our throats by a group of politicians who were going agisnt the advice of every doctor they talked to.

ketchupgun likes this.
  20. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I don't follow a strict Paleo diet, but I'm pretty close on most days. I'm also a hunter and my wife is a dietitian. We're certainly not the average American family.

It's hard to beat harvested game for lean meat, but if you have no hunting experience, you may be stuck with a vegan/vegetarian diet for quite some time. I usually take a couple deer and a few birds every year. I've also taken some wild hogs. The meat may be a little tougher than you're used to.

I eat what my wife calls Super Foods. She does a lot of public speaking and has a presentation that she does that focuses on these foods. Here's a quick list:

Vegetables: especially spinach, broccoli, and other dark green vegetables
    Berries: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.
    Fruits: bananas, apples, pears ... light on the citrus
    Lean Meats: turkey, chicken, pork, beef, venison
    Legumes: good source of protein if you don't have meat with a meal
    Eggs: farm fresh, fertilized
    Nuts: especially unsalted walnuts & almonds
    Dairy: fat-free or low fat milk, yogurt (I like Greek yogurt) & cheese
    Whole Grain Breads & Cereals: avoid wheat if you like; there are lots of other grains out there
    Protein Powder with Whey
    Peanut Butter: preferably non-hydrogenated
    Cook with Olive Oil

Tip: Quality frozen vegetables are relatively inexpensive, easy to prepare and, typically, frozen at the peak of their freshness and nutritional value. Fresh vegetables are great, but spoil relatively quickly, take more time to prepare and frequently have less nutritional value than frozen vegetables (believe it or not).

Tip: Eat the above list of food in proportion (roughly) to the new My Plate guidelines. The old Food Pyramid has gone away. Personally, I'm probably a little lighter on the grains and heavier on the fruit and protein.

[​IMG]

Tip: A "smoothie" is a fairly quick and easy way to get a lot of good nutrition. Thick smoothies also aid in satiety (making you feel full) so you'll be tempted to eat less. Watery drinks don't help nearly as much. Here's one of my favorite green smoothie recipes:

1 frozen, sliced banana
    1 Tablespoon peanut butter
    1/2 cup fat-free/low-fat vanilla (or plain) Greek yogurt
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    4 cups baby spinach

Place the first four ingredients in your blender. Fill blender to the top with spinach. Liquify until smooth. Makes two servings. (I might drink one as a recovery drink after an evening workout and keep the other in the 'fridge to have for breakfast the next day.) Has a slightly sweet, nutty taste.

Nutrition Facts (per serving): 175 kCal, 5g fiber, 10.5g protein

There are a million ways to improve core strength. Many will recognize the names CrossFit, Insanity, P90X .... I've combined elements of each into my routine ... and added a few elements of my own. It's hard to go wrong with the basics like push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, running, swimming, biking if you want to start simple and not spend a lot of money.

Remember that exercise has four basic components - endurance, strength, balance and flexibility. While it may be beneficial for athletes competing in a particular sport to focus more heavily on one of the components than another, most people will benefit from a more balanced approach (pardon the pun) that includes nearly equal parts of all four components.

Last edited by Mudinyeri, Sep 4, 2012