1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Painful loss

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by todo, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Small sebbie. Stupidly forgot to unclip it from my pocket while pheasant hunting through tall grass.

2. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets

They are all painful,especially when you dicover the loss when you need it.

Dtrain.

My most painful loss was when I was about 7-8 years old.My father had given me a SAK knock off from Colonial.Lokking back it wasn't the greatest knife in the world,but to me it was.I lost it when I was fishing.I was very sad.I wish I had that knife today.

Dtrain

3. scott112

scott112 Empty Pockets

Man, I've lost more pocket knives than I can remember - some of them turned up years later, many were lost forever. Thankfully none of them were particularly valuable, but this is one of the reasons I am reluctant to EDC some of my better knives.

A few years ago my Dad lost the Swiss Army knife that I had given him for his birthday, while trout fishing in Canada. It was engraved with his name, and a few days later someone found it along the stream bank and turned it in at the local fly shop where they knew my Dad. What are the odds?

4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I lost both of my first Leathermans while working. Left a Super Tool on top of a first panel I guess, didn't realize that till the end of the day. Weeks later I found one on top of a fire panel again, Happy days! Hours later, it was not mine after all. My first Wave, slipped out in a nasty attic (insulation) and I found tape measure and hammer with a powerful magnet, no luck on the Wave. I replaced the Wave with a new model and had both engraved with name and Tech number. the SuperTool rides in a black basketweave mag pouch I got 20+ years ago.

5. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Re: Painful loss -WW2 dog tags recovered after 35+ years

Both my parents are deceased. My dad's WW2 dog tags had been lost since I was a boy. Here is how they were recovered more than 35 years later.

A couple of years ago, I used Google to search for my father's name.

The first Google hit was on a Vietnam veterans' web site where I found this note:

"Would like to return dog tags belonging to [my dad's name] that I found more than 35 years ago on railroad tracks. The family lived up the street from my parents in [town name, state].

Wow! What a surprise!

I immediately phoned Frank. He had found and kept 2 of my dad's US Army dog tags from World War 2, attached to their neck chains. He told me where he found them and who he used to play with. The name Frank mentioned rang an immediate alarm. It was family of a guy convicted of breaking & entering and burglarizing our house and a series of other houses when I was a child.

Only some of my parents' possessions were recovered. I suspect the dog tags were stolen in the burglary.

My dad served in the Pacific (Corregedor, Philippines and Japan) during and after WW2.

Attached Files:

6. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Wow!
    Great news to get those treasured tags back. I hope youll put 'em somewhere very, VERY safe now.
    I know they wont be the same, but I think I'D have copies made to wear & put the real ones away in my safe.

7. inthedark

inthedark Empty Pockets

I've lost lots of things, probably more than I can even remember, but the only thing I really miss is my old boy scout pocket knife with the bone handles and I think it had a carbon steel blade. Carried it all through boyscouts, and there is even had a little belt clip specifically made to clip the knife to your belt, but somehow I still ended up losing it. I'm always on the lookout for another one just like it.

At one time I thought I lost my SOG paratool which I had carried for over a decade. I was so upset that I bought a couple more paratools off ebay to try and replace it, but they never felt the same. It's weird how you can buy an identical item just doesn't have the same feel as the one you remembered. Eventually, I ended up finding it a while later, but not until I had already bought a few more multitools and a Swisstool Spirit, which eventually replaced it as my favorite. So while it was painful at the time, I ended up with a lot more tools for my collection.

Am I the only one that spends inordiante amounts of time and money researching and buying certain purchases, and be afraid to carry it because it's "too nice" to lose? I swear I have way too much money invested in quality equipment, only to go out and buy a cheap replica to actually use. I finally broke down and bought a really nice $400 jacket after a year of drooling over it, but only use it once or twice a year while I wear a cheap $20 jacket everyday because I'm afraid of ruining my good one. I have aslo bought expensive knives and flashlights and tools, but carry cheap disposable ones to actually use. Funny things is, I almost never lose the cheap stuff, but the one time I carry anything nice, I'm almost guaranteed to misplace it.

8. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

I can't stand to own something that's "too nice to use." If I carry something and lose it it's better than if I don't use it at all. If it's never used then I might as well not own it.

9. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Before I headed back to grad school, I treated myself to a new Waterman, very elegant in black with a fine 22kt-gold nib. I used it all the time--wrote some of my first short stories with it. For some reason (I can't remember now), I had to rent a car, and when I returned it, the pen must have dropped out of my purse. I went so far as to call the car rental agency and begged the person to go out and look in the car to see if by chance she could find it. No go.

I also lost the sterling silver ball point pen that matched the fountain pen that my folks gave me for high school graduation. I think a couch ate it.

Now I keep the nice pens on my desk, and take my inexpensive fountain pens with me so that if I lose one, it's not such a sad thing.

My most recent loss was of a really cool 9-volt battery flashlight a friend sent to me. I kept it on my nightstand, and it disappeared. Vaporized. And I can't even blame the puppy. :sigh:

10. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

A few months ago I found to my horror that my beloved Kershaw TI-ATS34 folder was missing. After looking high and low and finding no trace, I came to the conclusion that I must have dropped it in a parking lot someplace, because one day I carried it cliped inside my front pant pocket instead of securely in the back pocket as I normally do.

I bought that knife in 1998 and have been EDCing it ever since. Losing it was like losing a beloved old pet.

I replaced it with a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian, which by coincidence had nearly identical blade geometry and overall size to the missing Kershaw. I now EDC the Mini-Grip. In a leather belt pouch, not in my pocket.

Fortunately, however, about 2 months after it went missing, my Kershaw turned up in my parents' basement, where I had been working on my brother's computer. Score! I now keep the Kershaw at home, where it will be safe.

11. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

My most painful loss was a Buck knife that my Mom had given me, it fell into the Bay. We were night fishing off the dock on Saltaire. I cried when I lost it!! THAT was eons ago.

12. Chux

Chux Loaded Pockets

I experienced something similar when I got a "backup" sebenza. The newer one was in better shape (less scuffing etc, although it was second hand). However, it just wasn't my knife. Shortly after I gave it to someone who would give it the use and appreciation it deserved.

Again, I do the same thing but am working hard to get out of that frame of mind or I'll have a home full of pristine stuff that I wasted my money on. I know people that have deliberately done superficial damage to a good item they have bought in order to get over the initial stage where you are petrified of hurting your nice, new whatever it is. The example that springs to mind was scratching the finish on a knife with a file that had been bought to be a user.

The principle I am trying to work to at the moment is if something is too nice to use then it will never get used, if something is not being used for what it was designed for it has no purpose. If it has no purpose there was no point getting it in the first place.

Buy good stuff but remember to use it and enjoy it. Celebrate when you don't lose it, and don't let the fear of losing it take away its purpose for existing.

If you do lose something then that is something showing you it was time to upgrade ;)

13. Ruud S.

Ruud S. Loaded Pockets

@ scribhneoir: you must mean one of these flashlights surely? When you mentioned 9V I immediately thought Safelight.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1697

I've got one of those as well, they're great! You should really consider replacing it. That find in the dark glow mode is sooo useful, I wonder why there are so few lights with this feature.

And now On Topic:

I'd like to join all those people who posted before me saying that they lost their very first pocketknife that they got from their father/uncle etc. After nagging my parents non-stop for a knife, I finally got a tiny Vic Classic or similar, and had it for about two weeks when it vanished into thin air. I've never felt so bad about losing a knife since. Now I lash everything on my clothes with a quick disconnect keyring and paracord and I'm still paranoid about misplacing stuff...

And with regards to stuff being 'to nice to use so I use something cheaper instead'; that's something that bothered me as well, untill I rationalized the price by saying to myself 'the more I use it, the less the cost per times used'. Having expensive top quality stuff laying around unused, now that's just a sin in my book. If something is expensive, treat it with respect, maintain it well, but please do use it. There's nothing better to have than a well worn, well taken care of top quality piece of kit.

14. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Funny how so many people lose their first SAK. Same boat here. I had a SAK classic my father had given me when I was 10, and I lost it during a camping trip in the middle of the night when we were out trying to catch crawdads.

15. Hercus

Hercus Empty Pockets

I put down my SS Delica 4 someplace, I haven't seen it in about a week. If you see it, ask it to come back home please. Thanks

Herc

:(