1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Packs that are made of (soft) 500D?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by morglan, Jun 15, 2017.

1. morglan

morglan Loaded Pockets

Can anyone point me to some smaller edc packs that are made of softer 500d fabric (exactly like the MSM Stealth Admin Pouch)?

Thanks!

RED-FIVE likes this.
  2. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Camelbak mule or hawg (mil tac ). They are the rip-stop version of the fabric so slightly different. I have a tactical tailor pouch on my mule and it matches very well.

morglan likes this.
  3. morglan

morglan Loaded Pockets

Thanks. The ripstop material actually sounds interesting to me--all other things being equal, will a ripstop material result in a lighter pack?

4. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Direct Action Dragon Egg or Dust. Both are made out of 500D and are awesome packs.

Norseman likes this.
  5. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I'm with Myrddraal. My Direct Action Gear Dust is 500d and pretty light while still having a ton of features. It can't compete with some of my ripstop alpine packs in weight but the Dust is significantly more durable and functional in a EDC environment.

Norseman likes this.
  6. Desperado213

Desperado213 Loaded Pockets

Idk what type of pack you're looking for but the mountainsmith day is soft 500d. It is a lumbar pack but I use shoulder straps with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karlito likes this.
  7. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

+1 for Direct Action. Excellent packs.

Norseman likes this.
  8. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

I really don't know if it would be lighter or not. They should be very close though.

9. acv

acv Loaded Pockets

10. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

Grey Ghost Griff is another 500D option. Well made pack, comes in Black and Grey. The main pouch is covered in Hook and Loop, which pleases some but not all. Great price too, around $120.

morglan likes this.
  11. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I don't know if it's "soft" 500d (are there different kinds?) but I love my kifaru urban zippy.

12. morglan

morglan Loaded Pockets

I guess it's hard to describe (unless you've held the Milspec Monkey stealth admin pouch), or maybe it's just me. All the 1000d stuff I own is very stiff and "rough", where the 500d feels tighter woven, much smoother/almost silkier, and it's much more cloth like.

13. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Morglan, can you describe what kind of specific features you're looking for in a (500d) smaller edc pack? It would be helpful to have some more information to hang our recomendations on.

Thanks,
    RF

14. morglan

morglan Loaded Pockets

Well, because of this thread, I think I'm actually looking for ripstop, but the 500d is still in the running. The pouch I have has a very soft, smooth, broken-in feeling.

As far as a pack goes, I'm looking for something sleek, 20-25L, exterior water bottle pockets are a must--and they should fit a 1 L nalgene bottle. No center bottom exterior pocket, and less tactical looking.

I like the dragon egg Mk2, and really like the stealth operator pack, even though it doesn't have bottle pockets and can't be found anywhere. I like the shado too.

What am I missing?

RED-FIVE likes this.
  15. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Okay thanks for the addition info.

Have you looked at the Alpha One Niner - Evade backpack? Seems to meet most of those features. It's available through their website. They offer it in 500d and 1000d, and also in a diamond ripstop 420d. It looks to be slightly bigger at 27L. It is sleek though.

• Volume approximately 27 liters / 1650 cu2
    • Weight approximately 3.6 pounds (1.63 kg) for the Solids and 2.8 pounds (1.27 kg) for the Ripstops

Forum search results Evade Pack:
    https://www.edcforums.com/search/48073921/?q=Alpha+one+niner+evade+pack&o=date&c[node]=86
    (Link updated with more results)

RF

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jun 17, 2017
    #15 RED-FIVE, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    twin63 likes this.
  16. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

I found 1000d generally stiff (e.g. Maxpedition bags pre-2007), but found some 1000d a bit more pliable and cloth like than others like the TAD LiteSpeed and EDC. I learned part of the reason is the different kinds of treatment applied to the fabrics. I believe Maxped uses several applications of a Teflon coating for water repellency. It's quite effective and long lasting, but makes the 1000d "crispier" feeling.

17. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Check out the urban zippy. 25L, big outside bottle pockets that fit 1L Nalgene easy. 500d. Not tactical.

Bobby Leang likes this.
  18. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'll cast another vote for the Alpha One Niner Evade. I've been carrying it for about a year now (it replaced the Pygmy Falcon 2 that I had carried for 5 years). Mine is 1000D nylon, but it's not as stiff as the Maxpedition bags I've had. Exterior water bottle pockets (I carry a 1L Nalgene daily) and excellent organization, especially with the optional Matroskya pouches. It's a tough bag. I've carried it overloaded multiple times with no issues. It also looks nice enough to carry to business meetings.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  19. morglan

morglan Loaded Pockets

There's a pic that a member here posted (Jerryd I think) of a Gray Ghost Gear pack that looks like the exact material I'm looking for. Here's his pic:

[​IMG]

The color is perfect as well. (It looks like the GGG Lightweight Assault Pack, but they don't show tan diamond ripstop as an option).

I have to admit, I don't really care for the looks of the Alpha One Niner pack (or any that resemble a school bookbag, like the smaller goruck packs). I guess my frontrunners right now may be the Stealth Operator Pack (if I could find one in ripstop), the HPG Tara (although that may be too small) or a few different offering from Mystery Ranch).

Still hunting...

20. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Grey Ghost is showing the Stealth Operator Pack in green ripstop in stock. All the other options are 500D.
    Either material would be a good choice. I've had one for a while & it's a great pack!

For what it's worth, Tactical Tailor & Grey Ghost are either one-in-the-same or they used to be. I'm pretty sure that Tactical Tailor makes the Mil Spec Monkey admin pouch. The 500D should be close. Maybe someone here has a TT pack & MSM admin pouch and could confirm?