1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Packing Cubes. Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Wishoot, Mar 11, 2017.

?

Packing Cubes. Yea or Nay?

1. YES! Packing cubes have been a great addition to my travel gear.

46 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. NO! Packing cubes are not worth the money.

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Other!

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Yes, I find them quite useful and frequently use them.

Wishoot likes this.
  2. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

For world travel my main bag is a Briggs & Riley rolling-duffel. I find packing cubes very useful for keeping the cavernous main compartment organized. This way I never waste time unpacking my bag into hotel room drawers (I do hang things that wrinkle easily). IMO the best packing cubes for clothes are made of the super lightweight Ultra-sil. You can find those at places like REI. For gear that require a bit more protection, like electronic accessories, cables, HDs, batteries, etc. I use a sturdier cube such as those made by Maxped, Tumi, etc..

When I arrive at my hotel, I lay my rolling-duffel on the hotel room luggage stand (or lay on floor) and simply unzip the top lid. When I leave for the day, I simply zip up my bag and lock it (with one of those TSA combination locks) for security.

Wishoot likes this.
  3. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Got the same thing. All 3 fit just about perfect in a goruck gr1

Wishoot likes this.
  4. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I use them for underwear and socks when traveling, not as much as I thought I would for anything else.

Wishoot likes this.
  5. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

I travel a great deal and they are a must for me. For organization. For compression (packing more tightly then loose clothing). Also use eagle creek "pack-it" folders. They are also great for compressing shirts and other items. My middle schooler kids now are super organize, will pack their own cubes and we can put them in one big bag when we go into family trips. Smaller cubes can fit into backpack so they can also carry their own clothing in their own backpack on short trips.

P.K.

Wishoot likes this.
  6. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

I find myself somewhat indifferent on cubes for actual travel. They certainly help organize and perhaps stay better organized for the duration of the trip, which is nice, but I don't feel like they revolutionize my packing or anything like that.
    However, I will say that a couple medium-sized packing cubes have been life changing in our diaper bag. With twins, we've always had a pretty big bad (in fact, a LA Police Gear Jumbo Bail-Out bag), and it's always crammed with all kinds of baby gear. At some point, I was inspired to put the "diaper change necessities" (diapers, wipes, changing pad, butt paste) into a bright orange cube and toss the whole thing in the bag. Now when we're out and it's changing time, whoever draws the short straw can just grab the cube and leave the rest of the bag and the other twin with the other parent. Plus for short trips, the cube is much easier to cram under the stroller or into some other tight space than the full bag, so we can adapt our carry for the trip at hand. It doesn't sound like a big thing, but it's made things so much easier!

Wishoot likes this.
  7. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Stuff sacks of varying sizes with drawstring tops. Waterproof if necessary.

garza and Wishoot like this.
  8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Good items to have when leaving one vacation spot to another to keep clean clothes separated from dirty/wet clothes.

Wishoot likes this.
  9. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Yay! So easy to unpack and repack at destination. I feel the same about large tuberwares for car trips.

Wishoot likes this.
  10. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

Color me a fan. First picked some up in 2004 before my great RideABoot. I've since used them while covering more than 50,000 miles of riding trips, visits to every state except for Alaska, SC & RI. Whether the trip is a weekend or months, the cubes are invaluable. I even use a pair in my tank bag.

Wishoot likes this.
  11. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Depends on the bag. My GR2 has so much organization, cubes add unecessary weight. With a duffle or simple backpack, cubes, or sil nylon bags work well. Definitely agree with very lightweight materials for these - if the bag is already heavy duty, adding a bunch of extra cordura or ballistic nylon seems overkill.

Wishoot likes this.
  12. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Maybe. They have their place. I don't use them as optimally as I would like, but I find when I travel by suitcase I never unpack the case anyway excluding of course items that I immediately need to hang up.

I'd say the packing cubes are best for small items, i.e. electronics, maybe toiletries, meds, etc. Honestly, I think the entire concept of prudent packing is entirely corrupted by TSA's illusion of security (with air travel at least).

I actually abandoned organizers, in general, amongst my EDC gear because they added unnecessary weight, restricted my efficient access to EDC items, and they never exactly fit well in the spaces they were intended for nor adequately fit the items in a manner of my liking.

Wishoot likes this.
  13. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Wife and I went to Germany and France a few weeks back and decided to try the packing cubes. I must say they worked very well to organize, and fit more stuff into a suitcase. I also used one in my carry on bag with a full change of clothes just in case. Highly recommend. I also got some of those vacuum seal bags that you roll up to squish the air out. Since it was still cold/cool in Europe we had to take sweaters and I used the vacuum bags to smash them down. Worked like a champ.

Wishoot and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  14. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

How did you vacuum the bags for the return trip?

Wishoot likes this.
  15. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Rolling the bags with the clothing inside will remove the air.

Jonb74, Zatx, Wishoot and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Roll them up. There is basically a one-way valve (for lack of better explanation) that lets air out when you roll it. Key is to pack them flat - ie don't stick everything in the bottom but try to use the whole space. Then zip them close like a zip-loc bag and roll 'em up. Air goes out and then you can flatten them back out. Great space saving in a suitcase.

I found that between the vacuum bags and the cubes, I could fit more into the same space than without the. In my suitcase, I could stand the cubes upright which was a space saver vs laying them in the bottom of the suitcase and stacking up. A bit of 'tetris' involved, but when space is a premium they work very well.

Wishoot and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  17. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I'd been considering getting some and this thread has just cemented that.

18. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Just used mine for the first time. Worked great. Able to pack for 2 nights with plenty of room in my gr1

19. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I've seen this thread popping up over the past couple of weeks. I don't really have an opinion on packing 'cubes', but every time I see it pop up I am reminded of something. The age old 'stuff sacks' have been around for seemingly a millennium, and they still work. Sure, you can't put a pressed shirt in a stuff sack, but frankly I'm not sure you could get one in a cube either.

A while back I looked into packing cubes and concluded they were 'okay', but at the end of the day I really didn't see a super compelling purpose.

YMMV I guess.

20. Niloticus1

Niloticus1 Loaded Pockets

I've been using cubes for years. First the plain black ones from Muji, then an Eagle Creek shirt folder, then some Eagle Creek Spectres, then Sportube Pak it cubes for fishing gear... Yes I am a gear junkie with OCD!

If I'm working in Europe I can be flying up to 100 times a year. I also enjoy fishing in remote destinations so I have to be as organised as possible. I tend to keep trip specific bags with cubes ready to go, makes life a lot easier.

pks likes this.