1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Packing Cubes. Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Wishoot, Mar 11, 2017.

?

Packing Cubes. Yea or Nay?

1. YES! Packing cubes have been a great addition to my travel gear.

46 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. NO! Packing cubes are not worth the money.

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Other!

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Okay worldly travelers. Tell me how you feel about packing cubes as part of your travel gear.

2. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

Love mine for organizing our camping equipment. Never traveled with one...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  3. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Love mine. I pack a day's worth of clothes in each. My parents used to pack each type of clothing in one.

I also use one for holding laptop stuff in my laptop bag.

Wishoot likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sometimes.

Wishoot likes this.
  5. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

I like Kifaru Pullouts the best,they come in a good veriety of colors, materials, and sizes.

Mike

malraux72, CBisch and Wishoot like this.
  6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I love em! Have a couple cheap sets form IKEA and they just work, no longer are my socks and boxers all spread out through my bag and it just keeps everything neat together. Also have some for shoes, so great to be able to pack those in their own bag without making everything else dirty. What i also like about em is that i can just open em up and put em in the closet or drawers in a hotel in one go. These sets cost close to nothing, just buy some and try it for yourself!

Wishoot likes this.
  7. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

We spent a month in Europe this past summer, Wife and two kids. Color coordinated each persons clothes in packing cubes so we didn't have to figure out which belonged to whom. Best packing and unpacking ever! Very handy.

malraux72, surefire7 and Wishoot like this.
  8. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I like the organization they bring to packing and that they become drawer organizers once you get to your destination. That said, you'll want to buy two sets; you will get a feel for what you like and how you pack and a single set will never have enough of what you want. We bought ours from IKEA.

Wishoot likes this.
  9. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Packing cubes and zip lock bags are used for most trips.

malraux72, deezed and Wishoot like this.
  10. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

Big fan here. Started using them last year for everything from business overnighters to the week long family vacay. Everthing has a place, nothing floating around in the bag or suitcase and I'm convinced you can pack more in your current luggage than without them. As someone said earlier, grap a set of them and try them out, it will only put you out $15 - 20 on Amazon. Cheap way to see for yourself.

Wishoot likes this.
  11. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I've used them quite a bit and find them to be a very useful addition.
    You can take a bag/pack that has no "structure" and it will now have some.
    It is a great way to keep things organized/separated.
    I picked one up recently at a dollar store to try out (looking at keeping it in a kit that may get stolen so didn't want to spend too much on one).
    I have depended on my LL Bean ones for years and they are great.
    Red Oxx makes products that are bomb proof, and they have some that I'd really like to have.
    The thing about cubes is they stack and pack with relative ease, which means they can go :censored: near anywhere.
    They really help when going with just a carry on because they allow you to compress things slightly better so your carry on doesn't look "over packed"
    I know that there are some who believe that the cubes add weight, but for the benefits they give, I'll take the extra ounces.
    My suggestion is that when you purchase them that you read the dimensions carefully and then measure the items you will be putting them in.
    I have often found that two "mediums" might be the same total length as a large, but offer more versatility when I comes to packing and organization.

Wishoot likes this.
  12. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

Never bothered until I picked a set up. Now I use them all the time. Nooks and crannies get Ziplok's with stuff in them.

Wishoot and garza like this.
  13. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Most of mine are from Eagle Creek. I haven't bought any of the light weight ones since I'm worried about how well they'll hold up. I also have a few from Cabela, the largest one I use to hold the other ones.

malraux72 and Wishoot like this.
  14. shadowolf713

shadowolf713 Loaded Pockets

I use mine all the time for military travel. Keeps my personal gear easily discernible from mission items.
    For traveling I use one to pack a change of clothes in entirety for just in case. I also use one for "unmentionables" and hygiene. Works well for me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  15. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Like using them, seems to keep things together when TSA opens the bag. Suitcase full of zipped up cubes seems to confuse them and I put the ones with the dirty clothes on top, makes laundry a quick sort

Wishoot likes this.
  16. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Yea. I don't see how this community wouldn't like them since we're all for compartmentalizing our EDC gear into pouches, pockets, etc. anyway.

17. Jelerang

Jelerang Loaded Pockets

I've used them a bunch and I think they have both positives and negatives. It partly depends on how you like to travel.

If you like to bring lots of clothes with you when you travel, you have a wheeled bag, and you tend to check your luggage, then they are a very good idea with very few negatives. Having a lot of stuff benefits from organization. It makes packing and unpacking into hotel drawers a lot faster. It also makes living out of a large packed bag viable. When TSA goes through your checked bags, it won't end up a huge mess. I've used the eBags packing cubes and they are good quality and maintain structure but they are a little heavy. The additional weight is easier to justify if you're wheeling it rather than carrying it.

I prefer traveling light with only a 40-liter carry-on travel backpack regardless of the length of trip. Traveling this way, first and foremost, means bringing less stuff. Less stuff means less to organize. Having less volume available requires more efficient packing and taking advantage of small nooks for some individual items (harder to do with cubes). My backpack is not a rectangular prism, more of a bean shape, so cuboid objects aren't as well suited as they are in cuboid luggage. Lastly, I don't want to carry 3+ normal-weight packing cubes on my back.

That's not to say they don't have a place when you're packing light. I have a set of ultralight Eagle Creek Specter cubes that I use often (the non-compression ones). They don't offer much structure, which works well when you're filling small gaps in your bag. They also weigh almost nothing. I only use 2 or 3 at a time, but even 10 of them would add almost no weight. Lastly, one packing aid that I really like is the Eagle Creek Specter Garment Folder. It won't mean zero-wrinkles, but shirts fare better than without one in my experience.

bpa and Wishoot like this.
  18. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

My Eagle Creek packing cubes have grown in parallel with my bags!

Wishoot likes this.
  19. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Amazon just ran a lightning deal on 3 medium Ebag cubes for $18, so I bought them. We'll see....

20. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I use different coloured stuff sacks I got from alpkit.
    They're made from different coloured thin fabric, but very durable, closed by cord locks.
    I use them for
    Just about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wishoot likes this.