1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Packable cap

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by kirbysdl, Nov 17, 2015.

1. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

So I wear glasses, which is fine except it's annoying when rain/snow gets on them and reduces visibility. I use a Tilley wide brim in the summer, but for colder/wetter times I have a hooded rain jacket and now a hooded insulated jacket (thanks folks!).

The Tilley might be loose enough to fit over those hoods, but I'm wondering if a ballcap-style cover under the hood would be better. After a bit of searching, I found the Sunday Afternoons Eclipse (I'm hosting these images and approve hotlinking):

[​IMG]

It's very packable at 2.2 oz with a foldable brim, and has a generous 8"x3" brim to keep the sky stuff out of my eyes. I like that it doesn't look like a typical trucker hat, but I'm not sure I like the scifi dystopia future-clothing vibe. At $25 street prices it's well above dollar store offerings but not too exorbitant if it does its job well.

Please post if you know of similar options/competitors. Key considerations should be comfort, packability, and brim coverage. Thanks!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

What about the Outdoor Research Radar pocket cap? It has a similar split brim with different styling. Might work for you.

Dorian and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

My OR summer/winter folding/packable caps
    [​IMG]

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I always wear my hood over my ball hat.

Sent by owl post.

5. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the recommendations! OR came up a lot in my searching. The Radar looks like the bill may be a bit small for my liking.

Do you know the model name of the gray one? I dig the large bill.

(EDIT: Looks like the Echo, currently out of stock at most places. Maybe it's an older model...)

Last edited by kirbysdl, Nov 18, 2015
  6. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

I just ordered two of the 5.11 Bill Fold caps, one in Gray and one in Black. I have Gray and Multicam OR folding bill radar caps but wanted to try a more traditional style cap with folding bill.

7. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip! I ended up getting the Eclipse, and I rather like it. The brim is generous but not too outlandishly sized. I especially like the design considerations like the curved cutouts over the ears, which comfortably stays out of the way of my glasses as they fit over my ears. Even the big size is a little small for my noggin though, and it shows sweat stains pretty easily, but I'm quite satisfied overall. It recommends hand-washing but we threw it in the machine on a gentle cycle and it survived just fine. The 5.11 seems like another good option along these lines.