1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pack marker light recommendation

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Jay-uk, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I'm after a small marker light that is rugged and can attach to my pack and other stuff ,red but ability to do other colours would be nice .

Durability and reliability are paramount tried a gloo tube and a remix mini lantern but neither impressed ( glo tube was weak and the fenix clip failed easily)
    Thank you

#1 Jay-uk, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

GloToobs are some of the most rugged ones you will find. No they are not the brightest but for any kind of marker you want at the very least a couple of hours runtime, preferably many hours and that simply means its not going to be super bright (there's only so much energy in a small battery, you either get a lot of light briefly or a little for a long time).

It sounds to me you are not actually looking for a marker but rather a lantern. What is the largest size you could live with?

3. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

5. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys I have the old version of the Fenix but the ring attachment broke so easily ,and the hole left is to small to use anything else ( cord or keyring won't fit)
    The light it's self is awesome it's just useless now it won't attach .

I Have the Nitcore lantern which is great but I have just spotted the NU05 by Nitecore this looks exactly what I'm after ,anyone got one for feedback

6. Blackbeagle
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

What about the NiteIze Glowsticks? I know they're not too bright, but many colors, dirt cheap, almost disposable. I've seen them for less than $2. http://www.niteize.com/product/LED-Mini-Glowstick.asp Can replace the batteries as needed. How long a runtime do you need? I normally have a glowbar on my pack - just so I can find it if I'm at work and we lose power. I have the NiteIze also if I need for short periods.

Jay-uk likes this.
  7. sygyzy

sygyzy Loaded Pockets

There's a light you can get that attaches a few LED's to the top of a 9V battery. I know it sound weird but a friend of mine swears by them. I believe they are called Blocklites. Maybe that'll work for you?

Jay-uk likes this.
  8. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

I haven't personally tried them but the Tektite marker lights look good.

Jay-uk likes this.
  9. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Take a look at Adventure Light's Guardian Lights.

Comes in five colors, including red (and an IR version on top of that). I have a yellow one on my back pack and turn it on when I walk down dark roads. Quite visible, I've confirmed it over a kilometer away..
    It uses a pretty unique system of changing the mode (blinking or steady on), you flip the batteries (two CR2032 cells held together). I think you can change the cells, but I don't have that particular pack with me currently so I can't check. Even if you can't it should be easy to jerry-rig a battery pack that functions the same with two cells and some duct tape since the circuitry that takes advantage of this is in the light. Even if you don't want to mess with that it lasts for (supposedly) 250 hours on the blinking mode.

I've thrown my pack around on buses, trains, asphalt, concrete etc. and while the light is a bit scuffed up from this it holds up well. More importantly, it hasn't changed the distance it is visible from, checked mine a few months ago.

Jay-uk likes this.
  10. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I use a Fenix CL05 for that...I'm surprised you had problems with the clip - I frequently attach mine to my dogs collar for walks (which has resulted in a few unexpected trips in water too) as well as on my backpack and as a tent lamp. Great little marker light/lantern. Very durable in my use...maybe Fenix would be willing to send you a new clip?

Jay-uk likes this.