1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pack for 4-week overseas trip to France, India, and NZ. Colossus?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by sharkytm, Oct 25, 2009.

1. sharkytm

sharkytm Loaded Pockets

I'm taking a trip to Paris, India, and New Zealand starting in November. I'll be buying a 10.1" netbook for the trip, and need to fit that into my small day pack. I'll be doing a LOT of walking in Paris, hiking in NZ, and some walking in India (although I'll probably carry less there).

I've been looking at the Maxped Colossus, but read a few things that said that a 10.1 netbook won't fit in the bag. Is this verified that one won't fit anywhere in the bag? If so, thats no longer an option for me. Anything else a possibility?

Thanks.

2. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

Most 10" netbooks won't fit into CCW compartement (Lenovo S10 will, with some extension), but I think most of them will fit into main compartment.
    I really like ASUS EEE 9xx - they fit into CCW in colossus/jumbo really well.

3. sharkytm

sharkytm Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info. Anyone know for sure if a 10.1 will fit in the main compartment?

4. stray201

stray201 Empty Pockets

I can confirm that for you. ASUS eeePC 1000H fits pretty much perfectly into the main compartment of a Colossus diagonally. There's room for the power cord underneath and a mouse on top, as well, but don't expect to fit much else in the main compartment.

5. sharkytm

sharkytm Loaded Pockets

yeah, see diagonally doesn't work for me. If it fit in flat against the CCW compartment, I'd be fine.

Thanks for the info. What else is there that's similar, but would fit it better?

6. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

Active Shooter Bag fits netbooks pretty well.

Colossus is actually very small bag. It is smaller in holding volume than jumbo, in fact.

7. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

The Colossus is much smaller than you might think. It is my current EDC, but if I want to carry anything bigger than small electronics (i.e. raingear) if have to switch to my backpack. If you want more space, you will have to add some extra pouches, which then make the bag more cumbersome. I added a 10x4 nalgene pouch, and it made the Colossus seem like it grew a huge tumor. The best use I have for it is when I go on long car trips. The kid's portable dvd player fits in it perfectly with all of the cords and headphones. Personally, I am considering the Kodiak gearslinger. I think it will be more along the lines of a small backpack size-wise, but I like the fact that you can pull it around to access the items inside with out taking it off. Enjoy your trip.

8. ZoomFlight15

ZoomFlight15 Loaded Pockets

Here's my 2 cents:

I bought a Colossus because i loved the pocket layout, and because i could fit my Eee 7" netbook in one of the slip pockets in the main compartment. I took it along with the Eee on a trip to San Fran last year, but was disappointed as i found that it was very heavy and uncomfortable to lug around while site-seeing. The bag is definitely overbuilt with a lot of padding and extra material which makes it extra durable but also very heavy. The bag is quite heavy when empty imho, and it's very easy to fill it with your gear. I love the way the bag is laid out with all of it's thoughtfully designed pockets, but the resultant weight is too much of a strain for the single shoulder sling carry style.

Further to that, many people rave about the foam shoulderpad on the colossus, but mine "bottomed out" pretty quickly, as the foam has totally collapsed,and is now useless.

I gave up on the colossus a long time ago and now rotate between a countycomm EOD bag, a Maxped Active Shooter Bag, and a Jumbo.

For your travels, i'd strongly suggest using a backpack for greater comfort.

9. deathcaps

deathcaps Loaded Pockets

I'll second the recommendation for a backpack during your time in Paris and NZ, though I wouldn't carry one in India; the weather is too hot, and there are too many pick-pockets and thieves to leave all your stuff out of sight on your back. I would recommend getting a good backpack with zippers big enough to fit a small lock through, and then once you get to India head to a market and buy a cheap shoulder bag (cloth ones with one big main compartment are all over the place, and are really cheap)... it will look less obvious than a backpack, and you can keep a hand on it to avoid pickpockets. Also, once you get out of the main cities in India, electricity and internet are pretty dodgy, so the netbook won't do you much good there.

10. sharkytm

sharkytm Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info. I've got an Eagle/ATS RAID pack that I'm planning on using for my carry-on bag. I know the Eee 1005 (that I just bought on Newegg) will fit in the back of that pack. I've also got some smaller packs, one of which I may pack inside my RAID.

Thanks again, we'll have pictures once we're back in the states.