1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pack covers for major rains; who uses them, and how?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by R.ticle One, Jul 13, 2009.

1. lynnaea

lynnaea Empty Pockets

Do you have info/linky on that poncho?

2. GMArthur

GMArthur Loaded Pockets

3. R.ticle One

R.ticle One Empty Pockets

Hey carrot,

thanks for pointing that link out. I hadn't seen it when I was looking on their site before. Right now they've only got messenger bags (which have never felt good to me with a one shoulder strap, though I'm sure they work well for lots of people), but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

With a bag like your Chrome (or other similar bike commuter/courier oriented messenger bags/backpacks), do you find them adequate for every-day-carrying things if you've got a lot of small goods that need to stay organized?

4. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

It seems to me that you could get a pack cover that is a good deal larger than you pack. Secure it at the bottom and sides and pull the top beyond the top of the pack and put it over your head. You'd look funny, kind of like the old French trapper backpackers who used a band stretched from the bottom of their packs, up the back of the pack, across their foreheads, then back down the pack an attached to the bottom In that way, much smaller men could carry far more than any backpacker does today. I don't expect my proposal would allow you to carry any more, but it should alleviate the problem with water leaking between you back and the pack.

5. R.ticle One

Well, that would certainly eliminate that problem! I wonder if I could look good doing it. :cool:

That is, however, an interesting mention of how packs were actually carried like that; I've never seen images of it, nor imagined it, but it makes perfect sense.

6. R.ticle One

Well, I've ordered the Pygmy Falcon II. Next are some dry bags or pack liners, and a rain cover. We'll see how that does me. After I've had the chance to use it for a while, I'll let you guys know how it went!

Thanks for all the help; though if anybody wants to add more thoughts to this thread, please do!

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

With a bag like the Chrome I keep a fair number of small items at the bottom of the bag, but I also have a few zipper pouches (nylon pencil cases are great) to keep some stuff organized... such as all the tools I need to fix my bike on the go.

8. R.ticle One

Ahh, I hadn't thought much of using bags/pouches, etc., for more organization. I am now actually getting really keen on a bike-style bag. We'll see!

9. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

For my EDC bags and Bug out bags everything is put in these http://www.loksak.com/ For larger bags get a dry bag from birgade quatermaster. I can drop my maxpidition bag in a lake and everything will be dry. It also helps to organize things. You can get different sizes.

Q

10. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

A little OT, but related to the method of carry described above:

A military friend was telling me about his move to Japan. One of the moving guys was an older man, and he used a headband with a strap and hook to lift a smallish fridge onto his back. He used his hands mostly to balance the load, and proceeded to carry the fridge up several flights of stairs without help.

11. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

I carry a drybag inside the pack. Have since I got snagged out one day when city buses decided to stop at 2:40 pm on a week day in the middle of the week.. (long story, but it was a 3 hour walk back to campus)

Plastic bags are handy, but they always rip. I've had the same dry bag in and out of my day packs for years now (going on 10) and it's in good condition. Not too large; just big enough for a small laptop in sleeve, some electronic gizmos, clothes and maybe a book.

12. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

What I really like about having the style of bag with one giant pouch is that it gives me the flexibility to carry truly huge items but with drybags and zipper pouches I can also carry a number of well organized small things.