1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

P99 or PX4?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by nwjavahead, Jun 14, 2009.

1. nwjavahead

nwjavahead Loaded Pockets

I am very new to this site, however, I was wonder if anyone had an opinion of which was better for EDC use.
    Thanks
    djordje

2. MrReady

MrReady Empty Pockets

Excuse my ignorance, but could you clarify on the makers of these models.
    I cant recall a P99 or PX4.

3. Glocky

Glocky Loaded Pockets

Walther P99
    Beretta PX4

4. shatterhand

shatterhand Empty Pockets

9mm or .40S&W? I really only have experience with the Walther P99 in .40. I thought it was a great weapon with decent accuracy. Its greatest strength is in its ergonomics.

5. Glocky

Glocky Loaded Pockets

P99 or better yet get a Glock 26 for conceal carry

6. nwjavahead

.40SW, I have owned Glocks, I don't want another. Thanks...

7. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

That's a tough decision. I've heard some people on the Beretta forum say that the polymer frame of the PX4 feels flimsy, especially in the grip. I don't know as much about the Walther, but I like them quite a bit.

And since we got a Glock vote in, I'll throw in for the XD, I have an XD40sc and love it.

8. The Lost Bushman

The Lost Bushman Loaded Pockets

Make that two for the XD40 SC. Although, a good ol' .38 wheelgun is a good idea for edc.

9. Glocky

Glocky Loaded Pockets

Yeah a Saturday night special is not bad either

10. nwjavahead

LoL, not really a wheel-gun man.

11. Glocky

Glocky Loaded Pockets

12. collisrw

collisrw Loaded Pockets

I have a PX4 in 9mm and a CX4 both ar fantastic. The capacity of the PX4 is 17+1. I also have a FN 5.7 and a Ps90 great combo with high capacity.

13. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

S&W M&P.

The 99 is fading away slowly, and for good reason.

The Beretta is a good gun, especially the C model, great trigger, easy to shoot well, but the M&P is far more established and proven.

Both the PX4 and the 99 are rather large for most people to EDC and stick with it. The M&P C models are almost as small as a Glock 26/27

14. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I briefly had a P99. Even with different backstraps, it kept biting my hand when I shot it.

15. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

OK, so, I've done some asking around, and my answer now is neither one.

Glock 19, or a Sig 226, or the HK, but neither one of these choices.

16. StorminMormon

StorminMormon Empty Pockets

If you are referring to the P99 Full size model, then I completely understand - but I have carried the P99 compact in 9mm for over 5 years and I love it. It's EXTREMELY accurate for only having a 3.25 inch barrel and I've never had a problem with it. No jams whatsoever. If you're looking at a Glock then I would encourage you to evaluate the new line of glocks and not the old line. Also, have you looked at the Springfield XD Compacts? Very reliable, and the price is quite fair.

17. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

I do not own Walther P99, but they have been issued as a duty weapon for the North Rhine-Westphalia Police since 2005. My fiancé likes them and can't say anything bad about the design. She claims to have a thousand FMJ training rounds and a dozen hot loaded Police EFMJs through hers, without any problem whatsoever. Accuracy is superb (she brought home paper targets to show me off. she knows I suck with pistols). Field strip according to her is "meh", but manageable even for the mechanical challenged. The only complaint she got, is that they issued the DAO version, and she thinks the DA trigger pull is a tad heavy for female shooters.

(Oh, and that the NRW ministry of the interior bought 42,000 guns before they realized that the holsters for them would make it impossible to buckle up in the new VW passat patrol car, leading to additional costs for the tax payer, because hundreds of vehicles had too be modified ^^)

I still don't see any advantages of the P99 over a Glock, but obviously it is a high-quality gun. :shrug:

18. RebelKangaroo

RebelKangaroo Empty Pockets

I own a PX4 type C and I love it. Very comfortable gun to shoot with pretty light recoil due to the rotating barrel design. It also fits my hand like a glove.

Regarding the two, I would go with whichever one feels better to you because you can't go wrong with either one. For me, it was a draw on feel but the PX4 won because of the magazine compatibility with the CX4 carbine that I also wanted.

The other major difference is the magazine release. With the P99, the magazine release is on the trigger guard in the European style. This doesn't bother me at all on my PPS, but I can tell it would if it was the short lever like the early P99's. If you go the Walther route, do yourself a favor and get once with the longer magazine release bar, its much more versatile and easy to activate.

19. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

I had a 226, nice gun for duty carry- a little big for non/off-duty IMO. Went to a 229, nice gun for duty carry, a little better suited for non/off duty than the 226. Went to a 239 and now I'm perfectly content :)

for everyday carry (without a duty belt), I'd be looking a little smaller than the three you have listed there

20. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I purchased a px4 in .40 cal and will take liberty of it on Friday. I chose this gun due to the reduced recoil based on their rotating barrel design. Recoil reduction was important to me as this is my first handgun purchase. I also liked the idea of having a handgun and rifle using the same bullet and/or mags so I will purchase a cx4 carbine soon.