1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

P.E.R.K Bag

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Nightrain2221, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Nightrain2221

Nightrain2221 Loaded Pockets

It would seem that the cliche terms most use for our EDC bags such as "bug out bag" and "go bag" have become pretty mainstream and very popular. I know that many of us have multiple bags used for many different purposes.

I submit the P.E.R.K., P.E.R.K.= Personal Emergency Resource Kit. I don't plan to bug out nor do I plan to go anywhere. This is my family's plan. I do have these types of bags in the event we do have to move, but they are not for EDC. I needed to find a way to essentially put all the items I needed into a bag that was small enough to transfer from here to there, yet also have enough room to include all my EDC gear. Now, what goes into your P.E.R.K. bag is totally up to your needs and desires.

The PERK bag is an easy sell for those of us who may have significant others, spouses, and family members who we'd like to see be more prepared for ANYTHING, but are reluctant to jump on the "bug out" or "go" bandwagon due to the idea that it's only for leaving everything they/we love. My wife, for example, didn't like the idea of a "bug out bag." However, when I discovered the PERK bag, it was an easy sell. She now carries one on her person and in her car. My kids have their own P.E.R.K. bags too!!

Just a thought.

TDS, vinniec5, TarHeelBrit and 5 others like this.
  2. pawn

pawn Loaded Pockets

I mainly use the term GHB for our cars - the "Get Home Bag". PERK is also fine, in case of vehicular emergency.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

As in "where am I gonna perk this thing?" :rofl:

zatoichi, vinniec5, kertap75 and 2 others like this.
  4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't have a problem with the BOB/go language as a default for "emergency bag" - but I also have nothing against PERK as a new acronym either.

vinniec5 likes this.
  5. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Felix had right the first time- it's just a bag of tricks.

TDS, vinniec5, bigfoot and 1 other person like this.
  6. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

"The first rule of carrying bags is.... "

So labeling becomes a bit superfluous. :rolleyes:

ATB,
    Sam

vinniec5 and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Ermahgerd, perks!

Seriously though, I like this.

Last edited by Myrddraal, Dec 17, 2013
  8. George Johnson IV

George Johnson IV Loaded Pockets

Perks of being prepared? Eh, that was horrible.

tmedina likes this.
  9. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I've always called it a Jump Bag -- whenever you need to jump to something, I guess.

I like PERK but it might get confused with my PORK (what I renamed my trauma pack, when it started to get fat -- Perforated Operator Response Kit)

netcat, SAKplumber and tmedina like this.
  10. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Well anything has to be better than the "Bag of Evil."

11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Better than the Pretty Rapid Insurance Car Kit.

12. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like your thinking. I think P.E.R.K bag would be more suitable to my EDC bag over a GHB or BOB.

Nightrain2221 likes this.
  13. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

+1 and totally agree. Like the acronym, too. :p

It's always fun to daydream about bugging out to USFS or BLM land, living off of nature's bounty a la Jeremiah Johnson, building a cabin like Dick Proenneke (great read BTW), honing your survival skills from reruns of Cody and Les, and watching the sunset from the chair you just whittled out of a log.

But then the cold hand of reality slaps you and brings you back to earth. I can't see hitting the roads and trails with thousands or millions of other people unless it was some large-scale natural disaster or major incident. Even then, some of those might be a shelter-in-place scenario (chemical leak, etc.). All these books and TV shows that advocate "bugging out" -- it seems a little backwards to me. Suddenly you're leaving and trying to re-create what you already have under your own roof. IMHO, that time and money is better spent building up skills and supplies, trying to be more self-reliant and providing for your family (homesteading comes to mind).

Oh, and one website that has some good disaster prep ideas is Listening to Katrina".

vinniec5, pawn, Gallows and 1 other person like this.
  14. Nightrain2221

Thanks for the reply Bigfoot. I feel the same way when it comes to bugging out or bugging in.

I think a BOB or GHB have their places. But to me a PERK bag has broader capabilities and options. Not only do I want to get home, but I want to be prepared for just about any acute situation that may arise. I spend a lot of time on the road for work, and I love in a place where it snows. If there's an accident, I want to be able to help. If I run of the road and the Freightliner runs out of fuel, I want to build a fire. If I get robbed on the road I need extra ammo. So to me, the PERK bag has a more appealing sound to it. Plus those we love who may be reluctant to the BOB or GB, they will be way more receptive to the PERK.

PERK= Personal Emergency Resource Kit. Any emergency!

bigfoot likes this.
  15. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

I just call mine a purse.
    "What's in the bag man?" they ask.
    "My makeup." I say it with a straight face and people either laugh or walk away confused. I like to keep people guessing.

On a more serious note: I don't like to project the "prepared for anything" motif, I just like to have everything I need for any given situation. I'm not quick to whip out an inflated FAK or blow out kit when my kid skins her knee. But, I have something to clean and dress the wound...and probably a piece of candy to ease the pain. In the end, it's not about what you're carrying, its about knowing how to use what you have. I think you're on the right path with stepping away from all the hype and calling things what they are.

Barrel, vinniec5, kertap75 and 4 others like this.
  16. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

^^^ This. ^^^

17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Meh. I don't think of a BOB as living rough, pulling a Grizzy Adams out in the woods.

I do think of it as having basic essentials if you have to leave the house quickly - being evacuated in front of wildfires, for example. Or hunkering down in a tornado shelter - a friend of mine lives in Oklahoma City and she, and her daughter, live in a second floor apartment. The nearest tornado-certified shelter is not her building. So a bag loaded out for living in the woods *is not* going to be useful for her. Especially not if you have to move PDQ.

On the flipside, a small day pack with a flashlight, bottle of water, some trail mix, helmet, and gloves would be helpful.

I picture a BOB designed to facilitate living in an airport* - you don't really need shelter, per se. And you probably don't need to be able to set up a pup tent, rig a bear bait bag, set a trout line, etc. *Airport being an easy metaphor for any established, developed urban or suburban environment.

netcat, bigfoot, Myrddraal and 3 others like this.
  18. Nightrain2221

BOB to me still denotes that of "bugging out." Whereas a PERK bag would be more of an EDC or all-purpose bag.

19. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

I really like that thought: "I picture a BOB designed to facilitate living in an airport* *Airport being an easy metaphor for any established, developed urban or suburban environment."

When I stop and think about the way things are today (mostly how computers have become THE infrastructure of today's economy), it seems to be me that what Tmedina said sums it up perfectly; Ok, here I am, in an airport, and I have no access to a computer (maybe my phone broke and the battery on my laptop is dead.) What do I NEED in this situation? I think the answers to that question would probably be very different than what one might think of putting in a "Bug Out Bag." I also really like the "Resource" in PERK. I think that brings in what Maze was saying.

bigfoot, Myrddraal and T.H.Cone like this.
  20. Nightrain2221

I like the non-specific emergency idea. It's a PERK that can be used in most situations.