1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Overseas postage costs - why you Americans should be upset!

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Brewer, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

I live in Australia, and I buy gadgets. EDC stuff. The kind of stuff that small US manufacturers are really good at.

Today I went to buy some belt clips from a US supplier. The clips cost less than $2 US each, but the cheapest postage option was over $28. This happens a lot, so I decided to check out the USPS website.

I can only assume the supplier in question was subsidizing the postage, or I missed some major section of the website, because the CHEAPEST price I could find to ship anything other than a flat envelope was over $36 US. That's insane. And if true, it is hurting American businesses.

I can buy 5 similar clips on eBay for less than HALF the cost of ONE shipped from that US business. They are probably not as good, and I can't get reliable specs and all that, but come on! I can't burn $30-$40 US every time I need to buy a plastic widget.

And this isn't about 'oh but China subsidizes their postage costs'. I can send a parcel weighing half a kilogram - that's OVER A POUND - from Australia to the US for $17 AU. That's about 12 of your dollars. Or, if it was something like a belt clip weighing a few grams, I could probably sneak it in a padded envelope and send it for $3 Australian - that's $2.14 US.

As much as it frustrates me to not be able to buy from US businesses, it should have you guys rallying in the streets because more than 95% of the world's population does not live 'CONUS', and your awesome businesses can't sell them stuff because of this insane barrier.

Last edited by Brewer, Feb 26, 2019
    #1 Brewer, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've never really understood how all this works, I have to send stuff to South America all the time. It costs a lot but... once it reaches foreign soil the original carrier has nothing to do with how it reaches the final destination. Is that where the extra costs come in? Shipping is more than the value of the object. Errr!

3. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

As I understand it, there is a gentlemen's agreement between nations - basically, it is too hard to try and charge postage costs back to a foreign entity, so they all just practice a kind of ''I'll deliver yours if you deliver mine' kinda handshake deal.

So the USPS drives around all day for free delivering Chinese widgets to American customers, and tries to recover it's costs by hammering Americans trying to send anything overseas.

I could be wrong, and I'd love for someone to enlighten me.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  4. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This has always frustrated me, but they even to it to us Americans on some things. It could cost me $8+ to send something to someone within the US, but go to ebay and order something similar from China for much cheaper and shipping cost of $1-2.

Moose likes this.
  5. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same ugly situation for shipping toward Europe (Italy).
    I have had to give up quite a lot of times to buy items from the US, just because shipping costs were absolutely disproportionate to the value of goods.
    The world's globalization doesn't work for the shipping's costs, it seems.

Moose likes this.
  6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Same Austria. It sucks doing business with US companies, solely for the reason of transport cost.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

Nick4305 and Moose like this.
  7. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I bought some gear to send to a friend in Australia - $20 worth of stuff, $45 to send 7-10 working days. Fedex wanted $320 for 48 hour delivery. I'll take it there myself and save the aggravation of all those customs forms and waiting in line.

Nick4305 likes this.
  8. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

Similar issues for France...I'm quite use to group purchase with friends so we can divide shipping costs

9. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

I've just ordered a few items via Planet Express (forwarding service) - it'll be interesting to see how that works out. I had no trouble buying the stuff with cheap (or free) delivery to their California depot, and their shipping options/costs to Aus look pretty reasonable, but it's all just conjecture until the first package turns up.

10. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

You'd think someone would be trying to set up an international shipping company. A company that distributed across various countries wouldn't have to deal with the whole passing off to someone else and the customer wouldn't have to pay the exorbitant fees. I'd be happy to pay a bit more to an international company that a domestic only one since shipping costs are so high to ship anywhere overseas and even these people that collect and re-ship charge a fair chunk of money, although often less that the original quote.

I've been quoted £45 to send a smallish package from the UK to France. I can get return flights for 30