1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Overnight Bag kept in Car - Travelling Salesman

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Shane Girven, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Shane Girven

Shane Girven Loaded Pockets

Hi

Tried searching for an answer but couldn’t find anything specific.

I’m taking on a new role as a travelling sales manager at times there will be impromptu overnight stays as my company would rather put me up in a hotel for the night rather than a long drive home.
    Mostly I’ll be going home but 1-2 nights a month may need to stay over.

As mentioned this maybe impromptu as I could be held up at a client or have some issues that need dealing with.

What would an appropriate style of bag be?
    I wear suits also so maybe some ideas for them or at least dress shirts.

Appreciate any feedback and also look forward to hearing from people that are in this situation.

Cheers

2. jdcarpe

jdcarpe Empty Pockets

I would recommend a garment bag, if you need to travel with dress clothes. Something long, with a lot of space and shoe pockets, like the Red Oxx Flying Fortress.

For something to keep in your vehicle in case you need to stay in a hotel for the night, maybe paired with the garment bag, I would go with a duffel bag for ease of access and high volume capacity. Check out the Red Oxx Safari Beanos PR5.

Not trying to shill for Red Oxx, but I have a couple of their bags, and they are bombproof. Great "go bags" to keep in a vehicle. Plus they have a lifetime warranty, should anything happen to them.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  3. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

I would have my dry cleaner box my shirt and put it in a Tom Bihn TriStar with any other overnight essentials I might need.

4. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I think they call those kinds of bags suitcases. <lol>

As someone suggested, have your cleaner box the shirts. Personally I'd hang a suit but wool usually does ok with a spell in a bathroom with the shower running hot. Most hotels have irons and ironing boards you can borrow if you ask at the front desk and some even have them in the room. If you have to iron, shirts with some polyester in them are easier to iron than all cotton.

If you don't have one, it might be the time to invest in one of the "rolling" type bags that fit in an airplane overhead compartment. Plenty of room for an overnight stay and would be useful if you have to fly somewhere.

5. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Make a packing list of the things you would need for the maximum amount of days you think you would be out for. Adjust this for the seasons as necessary. Assemble the items in front of you and then choose a bag that you like. ( I personally like my Red Oxx small and extra small aviator, one particular roller bag , an LL bean convertible, and my RUSH 24 --- each for different seasons and reasons. Packing cubes stay packed and are easily changed from one bag to the other. For a three to five night (or more if you're willing to do laundry) you could use a carry on sized bag and just leave it packed in the vehicle. Liquid toiletries may freeze, so these would be picked up as needed. Having a dedicated group of items will also cut down on forgetting things.

6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I travel quite a bit more than that -- I'm on track for 100 nights away from home for work this year, with probably 75% of those being road trips. When driving I hang my hangables (pants, shirts, sportcoats) on the grab handle for the left rear passenger seat, normally to include a spare shirt. I use a light shoulder bag (mine is the First Tactical Ascend Messenger Bag, which I like a lot) for socks, underwear, dopp kit, etc. If I'm going to be away for more than two or maybe three nights I use my GR2 instead.