1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Our Secret Selves: Identities in Pockets and Purses

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by muskrat72, Jan 25, 2011.

1. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Taken from the following link...

Would you empty your pockets for a perfect stranger? Would you let a friend go through the contents of your purse? For most of us, the things we carry with us on a daily basis hold a certain, almost talisman-like power. They become our totems, our good luck charms, our little piece of home that goes everywhere with us. Artist Francois Robert knows the power of the everyday objects we all hold so dear, and he asked regular people – friends, family and even strangers – to empty their pockets and purses and let him photograph the contents. They had no prior knowledge of his plan, no time to stuff their pockets with items they might consider flattering. The collection is called “Contents,” and it’s as personal as you can get without seeing any more of a person than one hand.

http://weburbanist.com/2010/09/08/our-secret-selves-identities-in-pockets-and-purses/

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I respect your posting of this but I have personal Artistic indifferences about 'this sort of thing' .

In my view, what this 'Aritst' has done borderlines exploitative and almost uncomfortable behavior .

It just gives me the creeps |8

I consider the similarities of We do here voluntarily, as well as what I and other Craftsman 'do with' EDC as it were, dwell on a completely different and far more useful plain of existence .

My 2 Cents (^;

BE WELL .. GH

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

It is a littel weird, especially the hand in the photograph...

4. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

I don't think it's exploitative behavior at all. The site that is linked in the original post says that the artist asked friends, family and strangers to participate. No one was forced to do it and they were offered the chance to take any objects out that they didn't want photographed. And out of 120 subjects only one person declined to participate.

I don't see this as being any different than pocket dumps on this site. It's just done from an artistic viewpoint. There is another site dedicated to the same thing. I just can't remember the name of it right now.

5. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

The photographer would need a bigger table for my pocket dump..

6. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

One is called 'Pocket Vomit' a blog, and yes there are a few others very much like what we do ..

This person/artist just rubs me the wrong way :shrug:

Granted, if your not inclined to be creative in an artistic way such as painting or photography, just living your life it self dictates as well as depicts Art .

IMO there are better ways to gain recognition as an Artist, this person is taking space in a position that another Artist could express themselves in a less mundane or redundant manner .

In this world of carry we accept artistry in the form of a fine knife maker or a craftsman of other mediums however simple it may be ..

But, taking shots of people's bag and pocket dumps and calling yourself an artist is really pushing the limit for me .

I personally dislike the term 'Artist', if anything I would rather be referred to as a Craftsman at best or a Designer at worst, no matter what anyone else thinks .

It's just my opinion, there is nothing to defend here .

'Art' is for everyone to like or dislike in their own way (^;

I will repeat that I hold not offence toward the person the that posted this thread .

BE WELL .. GH

7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I guess some people may think of that as art but to my eye it's just items placed on a table nothing artistic about. He just placed it all symetrically is all. I don't know if anyone here remembers the guy using cow dung to make painting and he considered himself an artist.

8. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i think its a pretty cool idea. dont really see whats creepy about it.

9. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Art is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't think it is art as I am an artist and use different mediums like pen and ink, pencils, charcoal, oils, watercolors, etc. You know, old school art were you try to make a drawing look like the real thing. ;D

I thought that the article was interesting as the "artist" has taken pictures of someone pocket dump and called it art. Like Griff said. This is odd as you can found hundreds of threads on this forum with the same style of pictures but we dont call it art we call it necessity.

When it comes down to it art forms vary and the person viewing the artwork is the one to decide the pieces value.

If you really want to be creeped out by an artist you should check out Andres Serrano. His most controversial piece included a glass of his own urine with a crucifix dropped in it. He also did the album covers for Metallica's Load and Reload in which he used blood, semen and urine as the medium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andres_Serrano

10. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

11. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I'm waiting for his use of the Koran in his "art". Hope that thing that happened to Theo Van Gogh doesn't deter him, it's just an isolated incident.

12. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Oh, I was not aware of the Quran artwork. What is his plans?

13. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

I saw this a couple of days ago and was pretty bored with it after a few photos. Pocket dumps on EDCF are much better. As for artistic value, and I hope I dont ruffle any feathers here; I think it's lacking in artistic value. He basically took something that we all do here, some of us more than others; and shot it from an overhead view with a placemat and the hand of the "dump's" owner. EDC is going mainstream. When celebrities like Ashton Kutcher talk about their BOB bags, of when Sean "Diddy" Combs shows off his gold RA Clicky you cant argue the point that EDC is becoming a mainstream thing. This "artist" just realizes it, and is trying to capitalize on it.

On a different note, is this the same artist that did the whole "Last Meals" thing for prisoners that had been executed? There's a similarity in the layout.

14. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

15. pathalogical

pathalogical Loaded Pockets

This artist seems to be a neat freak. Looks like he had to obsessively line everything up in straight lines. I wonder if those cash register receipts were arrange by date and those business cards alphabeticaly.