1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Otter box iPhone cases

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Cao87, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Hi I am looking for a new otter box case for my iPhone i already have the symmetry series and I have pop socket on it And I like the size of it but I want something with more grip. So I am looking at the defender series but it has a pop socket built in, i was wondering if you’ve heard of it or have one.

2. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I have used the otterbox defender series since my first iPhone 3GS. It has saved many an iPhone for me. I have not seen one with a pop socket, but I just added the Nite Ize kick stand to the back of my otterbox on the iPhone 7 today.

The holster has always worked as a kick stand on all my defender series cases. And the Defender iPad cases work as a kick stand as well.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Your post was the first time that I had heard of such a thing, but it's sure enough a real product. That being said, it looks like the popsocket is positioned too high on the phone case for a good handhold, yet not low enough to hang the phone by the popsocket. I think I would prefer to get the case that I want and add the popsocket separately. YMMV, of course.

4. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

I’ve used the Defender on all my smart phones (2 x iPhones) over the years. They have saved my phones on several occasions. I would never, ever carry or use a phone not in a protective case.

The only down side is the belt clip carrier is garbage. The first one I had broke so many times that I stopped requesting a warranty replacement and went with a fabric and Velcro belt pouch instead. When I recently upgraded my iPhone I immediately put it into a new Defender case and threw the plastic belt carrier in the trash without installing it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used to use the Defender case on all iPhones but then I realized that they actually trap debris inside the case and it grinds away on the phone inside there.
    Add to that the crap clips as mentioned above and I stopped with the Defender a few phones ago and now use the Symmetry and a RipOffs Brand Holster and have for a while now!
    I got a new Xr a week ago and did the same thing.
    The combo works well for me and I do work in Construction and on sites all the time.

I don't understand exactly what the Pop Lock is even but it seems like a Gimmick to me?
    I rarely have an issue clutching my phone in hand as needed?

6. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

I’m looking at the defender because my phone has the symmetry case on it and I’ve dropped it a couple of times
    I think because the back of I is smooth, and the defender case has the rough texture on it for grip but I’m annoyed because
    They don’t really have something in between the symmetry and defender cause the defender is a bit bulky and the back of the symmetry
    Is to smooth. Also I have a pop socket on my phone but it gets caught on my pocket when I put it in. Any way Is there a case out there like
    The defender but not as bulky?

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

FWIW, I use an Otter Symmetry Portfolio for my iPad Mini; it has given good protection even with a drop.

I don't have an iPhone (or any smart phone for that matter!), but I do have an iPod Touch 6th gen, which is physically related to the iPhone. I carry it in a case made/sold by iBlason, sold on Amazon. Appears to be a 'clone' or 'wannabe' Otter... came with a belt clip that (a) was bulky beyond belief; and which I decided (b) I could live without. Removed said clip; case integrity not affected. The iPod rides in my pocket or my bag with the case. Case was about $15...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

The Otterbox Defender cases are great for protection, but are huge and bulky. And like others have said, the clip is terrible because it breaks off so easily. The worst part about my experience with the defender case is that it's TOO grippy. It's a pain in the butt to slip in and pull out of your pocket because it literally grabs on to the lining of the pocket because its too grippy. But if you can live with that, then its ok for those who drop their phones a lot or need that extra protection.

9. Abhi Beckert

Abhi Beckert Empty Pockets

Be careful looking for more grip, a lot of cases go too far and making them awkward to handle - I think they cause more drops.

The perfect material is leather. Apple's leather cases are very good - and they provide more protection than you might expect (multiple layers of different materials, with additional protection around the edges). Probably go for a screen protector as well, especially if you're as rough with the phone as I am.

The various colours on Apple's leather cases seem to feel different, I guess the die must contain chemicals that affect the leather somehow. Also the feel changes as they wear in. Do some research before choosing a colour.

Pro Tapes Gaff Tape has a very nice feel, sometimes I put that on things to get just the right amount of grip. I've used it on phone cases in the past.

10. Fisticuffs

Fisticuffs Loaded Pockets

I have the defender on my IPhone currently, I really like it It definitely saved my phone on a few occasions. It adds a bit of bulk to the phone, but as long as you don't mind that it is worth it. I also have my iPad in a defender case.

11. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Anybody heard of mous case because I have been researching and the reviews have been mixed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I’ve previously used the defender, but then I discovered Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro. The Supcase seems to be pretty durable but doesn’t have quite as much bulk.

13. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

I needed a little bit drop protection, mostly against scratches and that "#¤%! camera bump.

https://www.spigen.com/products/iphone-7-plus-case-ultra-hybrid?variant=21600182465

I have both iPhone 8 and 8+, same case on both. Coupled with a tempered glass protector, they are pretty well protected against normal daily wear and tear.
    I also wanted better grip, since my last phone got a big headache when it slipped off my hand.

The only negative thing I can tell right now is that dust collects between case and phone and it is clearly visible thru the transparent back.