1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

OTC meds + wound disinfectant questions..

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by gazz98, Jun 2, 2016.

1. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

There is certainly nothing wrong with carrying a syringe for irrigation in your FAK though.

SWE Nurse I agree with you about the negatives of carrying the additional weight of saline wash in the wilderness. That said, if you are okay with the weight and space, I believe those 30ml tubes I linked to would be a fine addition to a kit.

Also I never said sterile saline was better, I think was o said was "probably about as good". Which does seem to agree with the above referenced material.

Last edited by graveyard, Jun 4, 2016
    gazz98 likes this.
  2. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

Some training, a calm mind, and steady hands are more important though.

OP good for you for getting the training!

sungame, F-Bobby and gazz98 like this.
  3. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

Also I'm not a nurse or paramedic. I have worked for 7 years as a CNA/CMA in a long term care facility. We deal with a lot of chronic wounds that are complicated by cancer, etc. I also have first aid/cpr training. None of my work experience qualifies me to do field work or first responder care. These are just my opinions, and I'm certainly open to hearing other people's.

gazz98 likes this.
  4. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

That doesnt support the claim that low pressure saline is equivalent to high pressure tap water.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

gazz98 and graveyard like this.
  5. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

This is what I was referring to...
    "... very high pressure irrigation... may result in a significantly greater rebound bacterial count at 48 hours when compared with LOW or high-pressure irrigation."

SWE Nurse I'll agree with you. In a field situation, with a fresh and dirty wound, high pressure continued irrigation with potable water is best.

So I recommend carrying an irrigation syringe in your FAK, instead of single use 30ml sterile saline, which cannot be manually deliverer with enough PSI to be effective. As SWE Nurse pointed out, it may even make the situation worse by introducing more debris.

gazz98 likes this.
  6. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

This is what I was referring to...
    "... very high pressure irrigation... may result in a significantly greater rebound bacterial count at 48 hours when compared with LOW or high-pressure irrigation."

SWE Nurse I'll agree with you. In a field situation, with a fresh and dirty wound, high pressure continued irrigation with potable water is best.

So I recommend carrying an irrigation syringe in your FAK, instead of single use 30ml sterile saline, which cannot be manually deliverer with enough PSI to be effective.

gazz98 likes this.
  7. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

8. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I don't know why people keep expousing 4 x 81mg chewable tablets. Yes Chewed but why 4?? Makes life very complicated chewed is chewed.
    Harvard Medical school say:
    "but people who think they may be having an attack need an extra 325 mg of aspirin, and they need it as quickly as possible. For the best results, chew a single full-sized 325-mg tablet, but don’t use an enteric-coated tablet, which will act slowly even if chewed"

Last edited by VinnyP, Jun 4, 2016
    gazz98 likes this.
  9. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Thanks! One reason I posted here is that my research online (websites + YouTube) has resulted in some conflicting information and I know there are some healthcare folks on this site.

I have to admit, carrying a syringe for irrigation isn't one item I was considering for my FAK.

It looks like I will go with Benzalkonium Chloride towelettes and Povidone-Iodine wipes for my primary wound disinfectant for now. Chewable aspirin for sure (not sure what dosage). Still looking into the other 3 pain/fever reducing medicines.

I have a list of questions I will take to my First Aid class too.

Thanks for the replies all.

10. Timlugia

Timlugia Loaded Pockets

very high pressure in the article was referring to irrigation machines in the ED

The problem with saline shots is that they don't provide enough volume.
    They were originally designed for eye wash, not wound wash. You would need many bottles to achieve even minimum 0.1L.

gazz98 and graveyard like this.
  11. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Good to see you're improving your skills.

Ask your instructor/teacher specifically about the legal ramifications in relation to administering drugs, including over-the-counter, of any kind to people other than your immediate family in relation to providing first aid.

I carry everything you mentioned in all my FAK variations, mostly in generic brands. Drugs are for me and family only. I also carry an asthma puffer which is recommended where I live. In Australia it is lawful to administer an asthma puffer dose to anyone having breathing complications.

You should enjoy your course if you enter with the right mindset. Have fun and ask questions.

EDIT: spelling

PragmaticMurphyist and gazz98 like this.
  12. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

good point, but be aware that for every good medical youtube video, there are properly 5 videos sharing false medical advice based on healing, old protocols, hollistic approach teaching oils for respiratory infections, asthma attacks, skin cancer and so on. Youtube is a minefield of quack's - even some wilderness doctors gives :censored: advice on youtube. One very good channel I would recommend is "MedWild"

What protocol have you seen who recomends 81 mg aspirin for chest pain? 81 mg is a daily thrombosis prophylaxis dosage.

gazz98 likes this.
  13. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

graveyard and gazz98 like this.
  14. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Here's my fire starting kit, which also happens to be most of my FAK, and covering the OPs #2&3.
    [​IMG]

Flask is 190 grain alcohol, so also represents my dehydrated vodka, stove fuel, cleaner/solvent, and sterilizer/antiseptic. The petroleum jelly is also my Chapstick, skin moisturizer, metal lube/protectant, and equivalent of antibiotic ointment.

So I learned here a clean water pressure wash may be more effective than alcohol swab, but I'm old and it maybe hard to shake old habits... now if I can just think of another good use for a small syringe ;).

gazz98 likes this.
  15. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

First time I've heard of petro jelly as an antibiotic cream. I did some googling, Vaseline made a petro jelly with phenol as an antibacterial effect but its been discontinued. Interesting kit thou, thanks for sharing.

reppans likes this.
  16. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

It is more effective and safer. Cleaning wounds with alcohol is a bad idea any way you put it.

gazz98 likes this.
  17. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

What if you're disinfecting from the inside, out? :D

gazz98 likes this.
  18. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Google "Vaseline vs antibiotic ointment," they sound equally effective on clean wounds with the primary benefit being the sealant properties of the P-J base.

Thanks, point taken. I also carry a tiny 8ml Visine eye dropper of Dr Bronners castile soap... guess I'll switch to that and clean water irragation. Perhaps just use the alcohol to clean hands before first aid.

gazz98 likes this.
  19. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Before and after as well as the area surrounding the wound to make adhesive bandages stick better (removes dirt and oils).

gazz98 and reppans like this.
  20. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

They do work pretty well for eye wash*, though, which is why I carry a couple of single use tubes in my travel/wilderness FAK. Of course, if you have access to it,clean, potable water works for this purpose as well, but saline has the benefit of not stinging.

*I am not necessarily referring to really dangerous situations involving huge amounts of harmful chemicals, but more mundane stuff like flushing out pollen or a little dust.