1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Original SOE Nalgene (40 oz. beer) Coozie

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by b.s., Sep 10, 2016.

1. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

When I bought my stainless Nalgene, I searched high and low for a product that would insulate my hands from hot drinks, provide protection from drops, and wouldn't be as bulky as a maxpedition or condor insulated bottle carrier. After an exhaustive search I found the SOE Nalgene Coozie.

[​IMG]

As you can probably see I picked the Black and Red version. SOE offers options for contrasting thread, and while I hoped the Coozie would have black MOLLE webbing with red contrast stitching, I received red webbing and red stitching. SOE may consider updating its online photos. As an aside, the red webbing is beginning to grow on me, and would look great paired with a black and red Bolt Bag from SOE.

[​IMG]

A major draw for me is that SOE products are hand made in the USA and often built to order. The company is known for its straightforward (sometimes terse) No-:censored: customer service.

[​IMG]

This thing is beautiful... The Saddleback briefcase isn't bad either. The stitching is excellent in most places and the quality of material is good. Don't expect 1000d nylon in a Coozie. This is probably 420d at best and is lined with a dri-lex mesh that works great for insulating your hands from hot drinks while reducing condensation with iced drink. As you can see from the photos it perfectly fits the 38 oz steel Nalgene, which is shorter than your standard Nalgene. A 40 oz Kleen Kanteen is supposed to fit, however the grommet on the bottom of the Coozie may interfere with the rounded bottom of the KK. The bottom of the steel Nalgene is slightly concave and sits flat and stable. There is a small square of Velcro loop material for your favorite patches, and the Coozie has an adjustable hand loop. The Coozie does not come with the pictured Grimlock.

You'll see from the photo below that the Coozie is QUADRUPLE STITCHED along all major seams. Triple stitching is often a nice touch... But quadruple contrast stitching on internal seams?! Kudos to the SOE team for the attention to detail and bombproof construction on a bottle holder!

[​IMG]

The Nit-picky
    There are a few spots where the you can see the types of flaws you might expect in hand built gear. The slider buckle doesn't reach the top of the Hand loop as it appears in other photos, a misaligned stitch here and there. I'll let the photos do the talking below.

[​IMG]

The uneven bottom and bunched up material here is also troubling.

[​IMG]

In conclusion...

Yes I'd buy again, and I will buy again. People like to hate on SOE for what they consider bad customer service which is owed in part to their long wait times. But every time I've emailed SOE I've received a response from the owner John Willis himself, oftentimes at 11pm on a weekend.

For me, that's the equivalent of Dave Munson emailing you from church, or receiving a text from Travis Hailey while he's on the crapper at the range.

I hope that answers any questions about a product you possibly never knew existed.

If you decide to order from SOE during one of their Facebook sales.... Order and try to forget you ever ordered something. Understand that contrasting thread may take 6-8 weeks for delivery, and "No ETA" means "No ETA." That being said... I received a black EDC Cobra belt from SOE within 6 days.

lnytunes and baccar-3 like this.
  2. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

Their origin tag is classless and immature. Pass.

Ethos and Nick4305 like this.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Hmmm. I clicked on this thread by mistake.

I found one of these pouches in the trash bin at the office kitchen area. It was a different color. It didn't catch my attention until just now. Coincidentally, the stitching was indeed a bit off as it appeared to be falling apart as a result of poor craftsmanship. Looked like something a middle-schooler attempted to cobble together in shop class.

What made you decide to buy that despite what you articulated to be poor customer service and inconsistent craftsmanship? I wouldn't pay for that.

4. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

A few factors were at play here:

-FOMO- fear of missing out on one of their Facebook deals
    -The lack of available products from other sellers
    -a misguided sense of patriotism that says "sure ... spend more for less, as long as it's US made." Which is another topic in itself.
    -positive past experience. My first purchase was a belt. Construction was good, shipping was fast, and it was cheaper than other belts of similar construction.

That being said. If saddleback, hedgehog leather, Kifaru, tactical tailor, or even grey ghost made the product I wanted, I would have bought one in a heartbeat. I looked at a lot of vendors before finally caving. There's only so many hours you can spend looking for a solution to your problems before you finally just give in to the "best option available."