1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Orange Monster?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Wolfman, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

I have a Seiko 007 and an Orient Mako, both in black. I was seriously considering adding an SRP Monster to my collection, but I think another black diver would be boring. That leaves the Orange Monster, unless I want to spring for a limited edition, which I don't. The problem is, I'm afraid of the bright orange face. I want to make sure I can wear it up through casual dressy. Is this possible? Does anybody have pics? How many of you use after market straps/band, and how does that change the look and feel of the watch?

brand0n likes this.
  2. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

The Orange Monster is a love it or hate it watch. If you hate it, be careful, it will soon grow on you. I wear my OM for all occasions. It goes great with Nato straps and after market bracelets.

Here's my Orange Monster on a 22 mm Strapcode Super Engineer II (SEII) bracelet. I hand filed the 22mm SELs to fit the OM 20 mm lugs.

[​IMG]

IrAelion, OilMan, C.Boland93 and 2 others like this.
  3. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is the one I used to own. After seeing that super engineer bracelet, I might have to get another one.
    [​IMG]

EXCALIBUR, SurvivePenna and brand0n like this.
  4. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have the new model? Any wrist shots?

5. brand0n

brand0n EDC Junkie

6. B.Haven

B.Haven Loaded Pockets

Said watch is now mine and sees a pretty good amount of use... great piece of kit, and I'd recommend everyone have one in their collection.

Thanks again for the watch Cowsmilk !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cowsmilk likes this.
  7. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Let it never be said that I miss B.haven. See what I did there?

B.Haven likes this.
  8. bub

bub Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

The orange monster is my favourite in my collection. You will not be disappointed.

[​IMG]

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

The first thing I did with my 007 was ditch the band. I didn't even size it. How is the band of the Monster?

Does anybody think the Monster is dress watch material?

10. madeofducktape

madeofducktape Loaded Pockets

No, it is not dress watch material.

11. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I think if I had to pick a single watch to represent the opposite of a "dress watch" ... I would have to choose the Seiko Orange Monster (and specifically the current "2nd generation" version) ... :D

Fantastic watch, by the way, with probably the best metal bracelet for watches at that price point.

A4VC, Doug507 and cowsmilk like this.
  12. madeofducktape

madeofducktape Loaded Pockets

The monster watches never appealed to me from the "looks" department . But the movement in the new version is certainly exciting at that price point....

A4VC likes this.
  13. Ile

Ile Loaded Pockets

Monsters are truly nice,accurate and solid,only size troubles me personally,for my self they feel little small..Maybe I have oversize wrists or ego :rofl:

A4VC likes this.
  14. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

I really like my 007, and I was actually considering a 009, but I want to shake things up a little. The Monster has always appealed to me somehow, I'm just afraid I won't like it. In any case (no pun intended) my next watch won't have a black face.

A4VC and desertdog256 like this.
  15. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I wear an old model OM every day to work and have for the last 3 years. It keeps MUCH better time than the Maratac TSAR it replaced. Sacrilege, I know, but for me, it's true. I've got some weird magnetic thing going on, and battery watches just don't jive with my body chemistry, as well as working in a somewhat magnetic environment, 7 year batteries last me about a year 7 a half, and wrist compasses last me about a week before I ruin 'em, so I switched to automatic watches. As I said, the OM is my work watch, and a Bulova automatic, for dress. The old, can't speak for the new OM, is one rugged beast! Mine's been worn in countless fights, banged on stainless doorknobs, terrazzo floors, steel bedframes, etc, (all work environ) and still keeps excellent time. It's got plenty of scratches, and even a few gouges in the crown, but the glass (plastic) is still immaculate. It's been such a good watch, when it dies, I'll probably replace it with a tuna or baby tuna!
    [​IMG]
    And just to show a little class, here's my Bulova.
    [​IMG]

A4VC and Wolfman like this.
  16. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

The 2nd gen OM has good upgrade from the original ones. The lume is white(r) during the day and having hand winding is awesome.

The watch works well with many different rubber strap and NATO.

You can't go wrong with it. :)

[​IMG]

A4VC, Nighted, chris 223 and 3 others like this.
  17. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

Beautiful pic stockae. Thanks for sharing.

18. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

Keep in mind, an orange face is the classic dive watch color. If you read up on dive watch history, there were tests done on visibility at deeper depth and orange was the most visible in low light/deep water. If I remember correctly it was Doxa that was the first dive watch to use an orange face.

I have a Victorinox DM 500 in orange that gets compliments in dress and casual attire. Strangely to me, I also am asked if I am a Virginia Tech fan. Why on earth someone would assume that because my watch face is orange is very odd to me; must be that my location is fairly close to Blacksburg, VA and people here are rabid fans.

I've also been asked if I graduated from VA Tech due to wearing an EO Tech shooting cap, (Holographic Sight). Maybe VA Tech doesn't teach reading comprehension. ;)

Last edited by Matthew03, Oct 5, 2014
    A4VC likes this.
  19. gusibon

gusibon Loaded Pockets

I have an black monster that has the face changed out with an orange monster face. This retains the black ring. It is very nice contrast. This work was done by IWW also known as Industrial Watch Works. They also installed a sapphire crystal and did a bead blast. It is a fantastic heavy duty watch. Only topped by my Seiko Tuna Can with Delaurean strap.

20. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

Just in case somebody is considering a Monster and worried about this, I feel compelled to point out that your OM only has a plastic crystal if you had it modified with one. It started life out with Hardlex, which is glass.

I've never scratched mine either.