1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Options to the Evil Black Gun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by medic68, Nov 2, 2019.

1. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

While I have run an M16 I never have been a fan of 5.56. I know that now, in 2019 there are a number of better AR platform ammo choices but back in the day, those didn't exist. My option to that was this purchase I made back in 1980 at Martin B Retting for the princely sum of $410. What other options to the M4 platform for defense are you using or considering for purchase? [​IMG]

Last edited by medic68, Nov 2, 2019
    #1 medic68, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Nice gun! Very charming. I would very much like to own one, but illegal around here. Unfortunately.
    I can’t really say I understand the question though.
    For competition like IPSC there really aren’t any good alternatives to the AR10/AR15 platforms.
    For hunting and precision shooting I “only” use bolt action guns.
    For ultimate fun and occasional hunting I have lever action guns

medic68 likes this.
  3. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

I can be a little vague at times, sorry. What platform are you using instead of the M4 for defensive purposes(?) would be better phrasing and a lot clearer. The only competition shooting I ever did was back in the 1970s and it was the (popular at the time) "cowboy' variety Living in the Uintas, I much prefer my Marlin lever in 45-70 for hunting or my older "Schnabel" stocked 30-06. Sad your not in a free state that would allow an M1A1 :banghead:

4. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Hehe
    Not even a free country. The Garand was legal for a very short moment, but the sudden change in legislation and limited supply made the prices skyrocket. Then a “clever” dealer started modifying M1s to BM-59 style. That was the end of it, and it’s now illegal again.

Self defense is also illegal around here (yeah, don’t get me started..), so I can’t really comment on that. but we can have pretty much whatever for sport and competition, so AR15, AR10, AK and such is fairly easy to obtain if you need it for such legal purposes.

Hypothetically, if self defense was a thing, I’d probably prefer a suppressed pistol caliber carbine. AR preferably, but if it can’t be evil and black, Marlin camp carbines are still circulating.

ran23 and medic68 like this.
  5. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

I've seen some pretty cool "tactical" 45-70's in the last couple of years. I'd hate to get slammed with anything in that caliber. I also have been looking at a PCC, like the Ruger but am gravitating more towards biting the bullet and getting a Palmetto State Armory Gen 4 Shockwave pistol with an 8" barrel and slapping a SIG Romeo 5 or the like on it.

aicolainen likes this.
  6. camjr

camjr Loaded Pockets

I've got a scary looking AMD-65 AK variant that I've put thousands of rounds through, throws out big fireballs, and generates stares at the range, but nobody gives a classic lever action rifle a second look. I've been training with a pre 1964 Winchester Model 94 lately and it's a very nice alternative. While not near the same capacity of a modern sporting rifle, you can get really fast with a lever gun and they're simply fun to shoot.

Cheers,

ran23 likes this.
  7. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

if I were restricted to the style, I'd choose a Marlin lever gun in .357mag with Trapper length 16" barrel if legal in your jurisdiction... mount some form of Scout sight forward... the more expensive option would be a Springfield Armory/IMI Timberwolf , pump action in .357mag with Scout sight

neo71665 and ran23 like this.
  8. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I like the vintage look of that. and always wanted a carbine/handgun combo like .357.

9. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

what an old school look. Imagine loading .357 into those carnival guns? Blasting away!!!

10. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

If I don’t have the M4 platform it’s my FAL and even then I’d probably still prefer the FAL.

11. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Speaking of which...

[​IMG]

Fast and fun to shoot. 357 out of a 16” barrel is nothing to sniff at, but is is awfully slow to reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

If forced to give up my AR or SKS, I'd probably go with my 12ga Wingmaster. Otherwise I'd reach for my Winchester 94 44mag.

ran23 and neo71665 like this.
  13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

A marlin .357 is on my short list. I already have a 6 and 5 shooter in .357. For some oddball reason I'm slobbering over a 44-70 right now, that most likely will be my next lever. My go to has always been the marlin 30-30 336 given to me when I was 7.

For evil black guns I have an ar15 and an ar10. Hard to beat a .308 if .556 aint cutting it for ya. Also have an ak74 and an ak47 but I lost all my guns in a boating accident next weekend after last friday the 13th. Gonna have to fire up my mill and order some more parts.

ran23 and Wishoot like this.
  14. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

Medic... I will admit I am slightly confused. Is your lack of fandom with the 5.56/.223 round, the AR platform or both?

I have a couple of options:
    a) if it's just the AR platform, look at the Ruger Mini 14
    b) if it's the 5.56 AND the platform, look at the mini 30

Personally? For defense, I am a big fan of my 12 ga or my AR pistol. Honestly, there are umpteen options for caliber and medium-long range options but I hinge on your "defense" requirement, which means I don't need need to be hitting center mass at 1000 yards.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ran23, LivingUpNorth and Diezel like this.
  16. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I may have posted this video of " Darlin" before (she is a friend).... really hammering a Win 73, and 97

twin63 and ran23 like this.