1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Options for key organizers

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by bfitz, Jun 9, 2015.

1. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone,

I was never the type to carry a bunch of keys but due to a "sort-of" promotion at work I now carry 8 different keys and it just seems to bulky. I have seen the key port and key smart and am just wondering what else is out there to organize multiple keys. The key port looks awesome but I don't want to drop that much money just yet till I know all of the options.

Thanks in advance

2. wilburdee
    • In Omnia Paratus

wilburdee Loaded Pockets

Troika

[​IMG]

smokingfish likes this.
  3. intoweapons

intoweapons Empty Pockets

Try keybar or K-addict... Both are good looking products.

4. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I used to have my keys on a big motorcycle chain link, had about 5 or 6 I think. I have a fob to enter the building.now so it's gone

efforting likes this.
  5. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Check out TEC Accessories , they may have a solution for you.

6. Ironmangray

Ironmangray Empty Pockets

I had a similar problem. Really liked some of the options already mentioned, especially the aesthetics of the KeyGrip, but I went with the KeySmart mainly due to cost. I figure why spend 2-3 times as much money on a nicer setup when I don't know if I will like carrying my keys in an organizer. I can tell you after a whopping one whole day of using it, however, that it does make my life much simpler and I will probably throw more money at a more robust key organizer somewhere down the road.

Another that caught my eye was the Keybiner. If you can hang your keys from a beltloop while you're at work the Keybiner might be a good solution too.

7. GreatBape

GreatBape Loaded Pockets

I'm using the key caddy. Just got it from a kickstarter. Keybar is really popular right now. I see it everywhere.

8. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Recently got a biner type keychain. Avoid these, they keep releasing in pocket.

kd7dvd likes this.
  9. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

Keybar and keysmart use a similar design with the keys on pivots at either end between two handle scales, and the thickness can be adjusted to accomodate however many keys you need. i like this design as there is no jingling and it fits nicely into skinths and similar.

Bladekey and similar use the same sort of key pivot idea, but only have a pivot at one end instead of both. these tend to be shorter/stubbier and getting longer keys on them is an awkward fit in my experience, and are not adjustable to accomodate more/less keys as needed.

Keyport does have that nice out-the-front sliding action with each key getting its own little button lock, and has customizeable side panels and buttons. it is also noticeably chunkier/blockier than the pivot-based designs to accomodate the six different tracks for keys/USBs/whatever, requires special key blanks that some places cannot cut, and isn't adjustable.

I have tried a bladekey, keyport, and keysmart. i like keysmart for the slim profile and the plain titanium one matches my tibolt.

Doraemon likes this.
  10. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

I looked at options forever and settled on a 428 master link. I connect it to my main ring with a locking S-biner for easy on/off yet secure. One of the cheapest ways to go, and I believe one of the most secure options also.

soul777toast and efforting like this.
  11. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I had a ti keysmart for about a month. I replaced it with a Keygrip. It's been on my keys since last June. I should've bought one, & cried once. I've toyed with the idea of a keybar for my work keys, but I've got too many doors to unlock, too often.

Doraemon likes this.
  12. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

There's also the TiKey, which is like the KeySmart, but harder to find. Are the "rigid" holders like the KeyGrip more secure? They look like tightening them applies pressure to the frame, not the keys, so they can be tightened more.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  13. soul777toast

soul777toast Loaded Pockets

I totally agree, I've been using master links as key shackles for a little while now, it's been a GREAT system. I use a #35 offset link and master link on an SPRO heavy swivel/microlock s-biner for one set of keys (I cut the keys down to fit better in the link as well), and a larger #40 offset link on a ball bearing swivel for some bigger stuff, been working awesome so far. Before I started looking into using roller chain for my keychain system I had no idea of the huge variety available, there's seriously a ton of different sizes and options out there if you dig a bit! Here's some pics of my setup:

[​IMG]

And the whole thing:
    [​IMG]

14. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Anyone have suggestions for the newer style car keys that have big hunks of plastic on them instead of the normal all metal key?

Doraemon likes this.
  15. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

Those "...big hunks of plastic..." contains small electronics boards and components, a transponder to make your car start and run.
    You cannot remove that, if you like your car to run!
    They are neccesary to be close to the receiver in the car.
    Any "key-organizer" that is to be used with car keys, and have somewhere to put this part, for car keys?
    I have not seen any.

Doraemon and Bowman1911 like this.
  16. Ryan9977

Ryan9977 Loaded Pockets

You can put a chip in the keyport slide for your car so u can start it...u can check on their website....I did it for mine....it did take a few times to get it to work using the directions that keyport sent but after two or three times I got it right.....

Then right after I got my keyport set up, my wife stole my car and I have to drive her mercedes which has a big honkin plastic key I can't get a chip for....ryan

Doraemon and Bowman1911 like this.
  17. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

I have read through the site of Keyport, and their chip seem to take a few American brand car codes,not so many Europeean.
    Mine is Europeean.
    My key FOB also have buttons, not proximity reading, for opening and closing the doors.
    This is not possible with the Keyport device.
    So I can have a Keyport organizer to open my driver's side door, nothing else.
    Because the driver's side door is the only one with a keyhole!
    For the rest,I need an original key.
    (A new key for my car, even when I have the original key with me, is priced here in Norway to approx. 300 USD from the retailer!)
    So the Keyport organiser can only organise my other keys, I will still be stuck with my big key FOB for my car!

Doraemon likes this.
  18. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

If you're adventurous:

19. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

It seems there are 2 parts to these modern car keys - a passive RFID chip that lets you start the engine, and a battery + antenna setup that lets you remote unlock the doors. The passive part can be very small. I think I saw someone cut a hole in the head of a normal-sized key and put that chip in it. The antenna part can't be shrunken much, maybe only what you see above.

20. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Found what I meant by "hole in the head of a normal-sized key...":
    It seems this is what Keyport is doing.

Doh and lastly, if you have a valet key, this is basically what it is - a minimalist key that lets you open at least the driver's door and start the engine. So just use that.

jag-engr, Bowman1911 and Tornado like this.