1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on New SAK Soldier?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by cjsmith, Aug 2, 2009.

1. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

I have the old SAK Soldier, and love it. Would it be worth it to drop some extra $$ on the updated version? Also, what is the main difference between the new serrated blade and the straight edge? Just wondering.

2. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I guess that depends on how you want/need to use it. The new Soldier is simply a reboot of the One Handed Trekker. The blade is larger and locks. I have found the serrations, and their location, to be a bonus for most chores. If you don't need a locking, serrated blade or a wood saw, stick with the tool you have. If its a case of "want" by all means pick one up - they are really cool!

3. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

What would be the advantage of having a majority serrated blade?

4. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I have one of the new Soldiers, and I like it.
    I like the style of serrations. Normally I wouldn't buy a partially serrated blade, but these serrations are a bit different than typical serrations in that they are not as aggressive and saw-like... they are more like sharp raised bumps that are very easy to use for slicing through things like rope or cloth, cleanly. I think they would also be pretty good all-around for food use if you needed to do that - you could cut meat with them, but they wouldn't be too big and aggressive to spread butter or cut an apple cleanly.

I also like the way the new scale material feels, and the locking screw driver/cap lifter. Since it locks, it is much more useful as a pry-bar than on other models.

My only complaints are that if you try to snap the saw back into the handle quickly, it will often get caught on the side of the scales, since it is thin enough to bend a bit. This means that you can easily ding up your saw a bit if you aren't careful putting it back in. This isn't a big issue though. Only other complaint is that I find it a bit hard to get the reamer out.

5. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

Do you think the rubber "grips" feel cheap and would wear off easily? What is your opinion?

6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

It's more like plastic than rubber, feels pretty durable.

7. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

Since it's made entirely of the plasticy/rubbery stuff, it couldn't really "wear off" - it's not like it's just a thin coating or something. Also, since I assume that it is dyed the color it is and not painted, it's not like the color would scratch or chip off.

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I heard Victorinox was discontinuing the old SAK Soldier. But Wenger plans on continuing the model (SAK Standard).

9. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Vic pioneer is basically the same thing, so not really a lose.

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I hear you. Vic Farmer is the old Vic Solider but with a useful saw blade.

11. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all of the insight! The knife is on its way.

12. landylux

landylux Empty Pockets

If the serrations are a problem for you, you can quite easily grind them away. I've done it with one of mine using the Tormek Grinder. Some folks did the same thing using a normal sandstone or manual sharping set. All of them were reporting that this wasn't a big thing.

Some pics:

[img width=640 height=459]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/landylux/IMG_8757800.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=461]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/landylux/IMG_8783.jpg[/img]

13. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

Oh i really never thought of that. haha

14. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

Three minor differences between the old Soldier and the Pioneer. The shields are different, the old soldier doesn't have a lanyard ring and there is no engraving plate on the back of the soldier. Other than those minor differences they are the same knife.

Victorinox bought Wenger in the Summer of 2005. Here is an article I found: "Victorinox Buys Wenger". I had heard that Victorinox had bought them but wasn't sure when.

Parawolfe

15. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

It's a more expensive One Hand Trekker without a toothpick and tweezers.

I think it looks cool, but in this case doesn't warrent the price difference (the OHT can be had for something like $27 on Amazon).

16. ksbman

ksbman Empty Pockets

17. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

Both knives were made by Bill Evans, aka Scibeer. I imagine if you wanted one you could contact him to have him make you up a mod. A black alox Pioneer is not hard to find. The big electronics store in Manhattan J & R has one for $21.05. It isn't hard anodized but you could buy 3 for the price of one. From a collectors standpoint I wonder how a modified SAK would hold it's value?

Parawolfe

18. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I guess it depends on what you want of a knife...

When I am camping I much prefer the larger format soldier (though admittedly mine is a German version) - larger OH and locking blade, saw and generally just bigger and beefier.
    In an urban situation though, I prefer the older soldier (or alternatively the cadet - a smaller 84mm equivalent). Size is more of an issue to me in urban carry, where I would rather pocket carry than on my belt, so the larger 111mm frame is already at a disadvantage, plus I have no need for the saw as an extra layer. In the UK the larger locking blade is also of debatable legality (without good reason - 'just in case' doesn't count, but as a camping tool it should). For those reasons the smaller old soldier fits me a lot better - it has the tools I want in an easy to carry format.

For me I prefer the smaller cadet to the soldier in normal life, and carry my GAK camping.

As for the availability, Victorinox are discontinuing the production of the older soldier model, but are still making the pioneer series knifes - the basic pioneer being exactly the same as the soldier, just with the addition of a keyring and using the standard Vic logo on the scales (plus it is available in black and red too)
    Wenger (who produced the other half of the Swiss military contract) are still making their SI (standard issue) model for the time being, just without the date stamp (required by the military). The Wenger model also adds a bail to the design.