1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on M&P Shield vs Glock 19 for concealed carry.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Cr0wb4r, May 6, 2015.

1. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

To complicate things further I have had a G19 and Shield 9 for a couple years now, but I just bought a G26 to add to the mix.

In the past I have felt comfortable carrying the Shield while leaving the G19 at home on the nightstand (for my bride), but my new job is in a sketchier part of town and an incicent that turned out to be nothing but definitely could have been something left me feeling a little undergunned and missing Demetrius (that's the 19). Beyond a higher capacity, he's sporting night sights and I've got the grip just right with a Hogue, etc., whereas Vic Mackey (the Shield) is bone-stock other than a Pearce pinky extension. Also, I got the Shield fairly early in both its run and in my life as a CCW, so it has a safety, which I sort of regret now.

Since I prefer my wife to have her preferred gun (the 19) I went for a bastard child scenario with the G26 somewhere in between (depending on if you want to use a 10, 12, 15, or 17 round mag).

Way I figure it, with the G26 I have options. To and from work I don't make many stops, so if I want to pack 18 rounds I can (especially with the fancy magazine sleeves). For me the G19 seems like I'm printing pretty hard (even though I'm usually not), but I can carry the G26 with flush 10-round or grippier-but-still-smaller-than-G19 12-round mags.

Barrel length for the G26/Shield9 is comparable but the 26 has greater capacity, more options, and more aftermarket. Sights are easier to DIY later on, as well. All that's true of the 19 too, of course, but it's easier for a G26 to grow than it is for a 19 to shrink.

Scanned through and didn't see if the OP had made a decision/purchase, figured I'd throw that in.