1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on M&P Shield vs Glock 19 for concealed carry.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Cr0wb4r, May 6, 2015.

1. MYZ061080

MYZ061080 Loaded Pockets

I have a .40 shield and Glock 23 (same size of the 19 only a .40) they're both excellent firearms and a joy to carry with the right holster. For me it depends on my planned activities and clothing choices as which one I will carry. The shield is slimmer and easier to conceal, however the larger capacity magazine and longer barrel is a nice feeling.it truly is a trade off. The one thing I've found after 20 plus years of carrying a firearm, if you don't have a quality comfortable holster, and a concealable firearm, you won't carry it. if I could only have one of the previously mentioned weapons to meet my every day carrying needs ( it would be a tough decision, but) I would have to go with the shield just because of different carry options (i.e. iwb, ankle).

Good luck

OldRakkasans187 and Wishoot like this.
  2. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

As a full size M&P guy, I'll throw my hat into the Glock 19 ring. I love the full sized gun. I've got a hair under 40k though it with 2 jams. Pretty decent in my book. I have never warmed up to my Shield. The trigger is terrible, and I am not willing to drop a bunch of money in Apex parts like I did to my full size to make it usable. The Glock just needs a 10-15 dollar connector which takes only a few minutes to install. Bam. Done. A stipple and grip job on my 19 turned into one of the most pleasurable small guns I own to shoot.

However, get what you shoot best with. I can carry either gun without printing win good belt and holster. That being said, due to my build, I carry the 19 better AIWB and the Shield better at 8-8:30 IWB. YMMV.

Wishoot likes this.
  3. JigMeister

JigMeister Empty Pockets

I also own both a Shield 9 and a G19. The G19 prints a little more (both in Alien Gear Cloak 3.0) but it's not a lot and probably not enough to make a real difference in most clothes. If I'm going to carry ALL day or have on lighter clothing I general go with the Shield just because of size.

If you can only have one, I'd recommend the Shield as it will be easier to conceal in all attire which means you are more likely to carry. A .25 auto in your pocket IS better than a .45 at the house.

BTW - I'm sure there are others out there that don't stay in "normal" clothes when at home. I'm in gym shorts and a t-shirt most of the time at home. I can carry the Shield in a Sticky holster wearing gym shorts or lounge pants with no issues. I've done jumping jacks, run on a treadmill and other "tests" to try to get it to fall out (full mag but empty chamber) and it never has. Next test? Inversion table! I'll keep you posted...

Wishoot likes this.
  4. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I have carried both, but in different holsters. My opinion is that a good belt and holster can make or break either one of these guns. Sure, the shield is slimmer, but it isn't as significant as I thought. The grip length isn't too different either.

I would rather only have 1 carry gun right now, and for that I am more than happy with my G19. I think my body type, and clothing choices help to conceal a lot. If I wore lighter, tighter, maybe more fashionable trendy type clothing I would buy the shield right now. Like everything else involved with this forum, probably will have both in the long run.

In Minnesota, a Flannel shirt, or any other type of button up can be worn almost year round. This extra layer really does help. I do conceal just fine with a G19 and a Comptac Ctac under just a T shirt, but it did take time to adjust to and get truly comfortable with it.

Wishoot and Dorian like this.
  5. JigMeister

JigMeister Empty Pockets

I'm in Alabama. There may be 3 months where I can wear an extra shirt all day. LOL Honestly, If I lived in Minnesota, I'd go with the G19 too.

Domain and Dorian like this.
  6. Civilian

Civilian Loaded Pockets

G19. It's a sure bet.

7. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Don't know how I missed this thread, because I've been in the same boat recently. While poking around at a local range, I happened to finally stand the Shield and 19 side by side, and this is what I found...

[​IMG]

The thickness is definitely noticeable, but for me that extra 7 rounds is well worth having to wear a looser shirt or button up to conceal it. It dawned on me that I only ever carry the Shield with the extended mag, and since they're the exact same length with that mag, the only difference in concealment is the thickness, which is only something like 1/4 inch or so. Oh, and if that's not enough, the 19 only weighs 4oz more. It's very doable.

Then I realized that with the 19 I have 16 rounds ready to fire in the gun, while the Shield comes in at 15 rounds with the 9 I carry in the gun plus the 6 round mag I carry on my belt. Sure, I could carry a larger capacity mag on my belt, but I'd still need to reload to match the 19, and then if I reload the 19 I have 31 rounds (15+1 in the gun plus 15 with a reload) and then I could STILL carry a larger capacity spare mag on my belt. In the end the advantages just far outweigh the extra effort I have to put into concealing the 19.

But, to be honest I also live in an open carry state and don't really care if I get made. I still go for 100% concealment, but if I bend over or something and print a little, I don't sweat it.

Kody Page likes this.
  8. r_senik

r_senik Loaded Pockets

i carry both. the shield is going to be better to carry since it is lighter. but when i was was skinnier, 170 a year ago now pushing 220 :(, all i carried was the g19 since it held more rounds.

9. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Most defensive gun encounters are over in 3 shots or less based on all the statistics I've seen, so with that said I don't feel underpowered with the Shield. However I do understand the desire to carry as much capacity as possible so obviously that will always be a concern for some.

I grew up mostly shooting 5 shot revolvers so making the shots count has been always the main objective.

10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I agree with shot placement and all those statistics, but I also believe we tell ourselves that to feel confident with what we choose to carry. Hopefully none of us ever need even one bullet let alone 16, but if I'm going to bother at all I'm going to try to maximize what I can do with it. Statistics are fun, but tell that to the people who were shot up in that theater, or any of the other well known cases where far more than 3 rounds were fired. Basically I'd rather over compensate than under compensate, because the bad guys who are out to hurt you won't be rationalizing round count and shot placement, and there may very well be more than one of them. We can all list as many logical reasons as we can as to why carrying 30+ rounds everyday is overkill, but again tell that to anyone who has been in the situation where they could have defended themselves with it. By all means do whatever makes you comfortable and makes you carry SOMETHING every single day, it's always better than nothing but I also encourage people to really push to maximize what they carry.

11. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Public shootings are a good point and obviously there the answer here lies in carrying whatever you feel comfortable with, in terms of both size and fire power.

But in regard to someone carrying concealed during an event like the Colorado theater shooting. In instances like that one has to wonder what, if anything would have been different with a civilian with a gun would have done. In a perfect world, I'd like to think someone could have helped but we're talking about a dark theater with rapid fire being sprayed in random directions. Not an easy scenario to face, especially if I recall he was wearing body armor, too.

And with school shootings many of us face the same problem: gun free zones. In some states it is still prohibited even with a permit.

Not to say I'm creating an argument to deter preparedness but there are some scenarios were no matter what you have with you or what you may have been planning for is futile, the odds are just not in your favor.

12. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

I had a shield and an xds 45. Loved how comfortable they were to carry. I couldn't stand shooting the shield and hated the xds trigger. I switch between a 26 and a 19 now. No issues with iwb. You just need a good gun belt and a good holster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

13. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

As to being able to conceal either one.......they are the same as far as the human eye could discern.

14. Packeagle

Packeagle Loaded Pockets

In their respective lineups size wise:
    Shield = Glock 43
    Glock 19 = Falls between the M&P 9/M&P 9c

Because of that, I would say you are kind of comparing apples and oranges. If you wanted to narrow down between those guns I would decide what is more important size or capacity. The Shield is smaller and more concealable than a Glock 19. The big difference is in width. The shield will not stick out as far from the body and is also lighter, so it doesn't tend to pull on the belt as much. (You should have a good gun belt to minimize this anyway.) The Glock 19 is still concealable, but not quite as easily. For example a shield will fit into a larger front pants pocket, but the Glock 19 wont. The Glock 19 holds more rounds and will generally be easier to shoot for most shooters, due to the full grip and longer sight radius.

If I were to buy one gun for all of MY needs it would be a Glock 19. Its small enough that you could CCW it in just about any weather with am IWB holster and baggy shirt, and with the use of a 17 rd magazine it would fit my home defense roll just as well.

The following doesn't address your question, but shows where I'm coming from: I don't have one gun. I have a Glock 43 (you could sub shield if that was your preference in this size) for CCW. I have a Glock 22 for home defense. If I were to do it all again, I would have gotten a Glock 17 as I feel 9mm is an effective round and having more rounds in a mag would be beneficial. Still would like to add a 19 for occasional CCW when I felt the need for "more gun."

15. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Yeah, it's like I said before, there are lots of ways to rationalize these kinds of situations and make them seem highly unlikely, or make it seem like it wouldn't have made a difference what you were carrying. And, that may be absolutely true. But, given the situation, if you had the choice, wouldn't you rather be armed and at least fight for your life rather than sit there and get shot up? Personally if some :censored: is going to shoot me, I'm sure as hell going to try to defend myself rather than close my eyes and take it.

There are some situations where you're just screwed no matter what you're carrying. Take the North Hollywood Shootout for example. Those guys were wearing so much home made body armor that the police were raining down pullets on them and not getting through. Their pistols were completely useless, and I'm sure back then those guys were likely carrying Glock 19s. Eventually SWAT came and even their assault rifles didn't make much difference. But again, if we use these instances as the standard by which we arm ourselves, we may as well all EDC hand grenades and RPG's and AR's or just say screw it I may as well not bother myself with carrying anything since the bad guys are always better armed than I'll ever be.

16. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I consider the glock to be a better choice..

17. JoeLiberty

JoeLiberty Loaded Pockets

This is me too. 'Printing' as a fear is generally not as big a deal as people make it. Comfort is important. I have carried shield and G19 sized weapons and the G19 size is what I carry now. You can probably carry a bigger gun than you think. The gun tends to 'shrink' over time. Much like my gun safe. :rolleyes:

18. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

I have both, and tend to carry the Shield more,FWIW!

19. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Yes...this is SO true. Well, I guess maybe not for some people. I'm sure there are people who will always be uncomfortable carrying and just won't ever really get used to the feeling (and those people probably need to find a better holster) but for me in just a couple months time I've gone increasingly larger with each gun I've carried (G43, Shield, G19) and so far I feel totally fine, even with carrying my 19 in a God awful holster (while waiting for my Stealth Gear to come in the mail).

My only real concern is when very minimally dressed...like shorts and a t-shirt, because then the 19 prints quite a bit (in this God awful holster...I have no doubt the Stealth Gear will hold it tighter against my side and that will help). But, the good news is there isn't really a right or wrong answer here and I can always carry the Shield or 43 if that becomes an issue. Heck I may just tuck my shirt in under the gun and let it breathe :D

20. JoeLiberty

JoeLiberty Loaded Pockets

Yeah t-shirts is tougher. Been spotted by family members in t-shirts before but I was making no effort to conceal anything. I've got a mind to try out some Hawaiian shirts this summer. :cool: