1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on M&P Shield vs Glock 19 for concealed carry.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Cr0wb4r, May 6, 2015.

1. NOC
    • In Omnia Paratus

NOC Loaded Pockets

I'd say as long as you not openly carrying it and not practicing draw in public places, you should be fine. However, I think it would be quite pricey exercise, considering the added cost of quality holsters and training guns.

2. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I have both and carry the Shield 95% of the time. In winter months or on weekends I try to carry the 19, I shoot both equally but prefer the 19 when I can get away with it. Unfortunatley I cannot carry at work and the Shield is much handier to remove/re-arm in the car, so I typically go with that.

I'll say too that IMO the Shield is not a pocket gun. I really wanted it to be but it has not turned out that way for me. Having said that, in my typical dress it disappears AIWB.

3. SickMike07

SickMike07 Loaded Pockets

Thats why glock 29 is the winner. Oh wait glocks are useless plastic toys

Wishoot likes this.
  4. gatorbait1872

gatorbait1872 Loaded Pockets

I have both, and love both. With that being said I carry the shield 95%of the time. It's just more comfortable to wear and easier to conceal for me where down here in SE Texas its shorts and t-shirts 8 months of the year. I carry an extra mag on my belt in a horizontal mag holder and it's just fine.

Wishoot and BubbaFett like this.
  5. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

At this point I am thinking about getting both. Just because they are rather different guns. I have found that with my body size, I can conceal a g19 fairly easily under a t-shirt, as long as it isn't to tight. But the shield is a lot of fun, and as a number of people have said, I can see how it would be good for carry with formal dress.

Any thoughts on the g19 gen 3 vs gen 4?

Wishoot likes this.
  6. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

CrOwb4r... I shoot practical shooting games, and after 30 years have definite preferences, some not universally accepted... I use a stainless guide rod and ISMI springs in all my pistols, so my G17,G23, and G34 are Gen 3.... it was not an option on the G42

Wishoot likes this.
  7. mbakes

mbakes Loaded Pockets

I had a Shield and have a G19. I sold the Shield once I realized that I can carry the G19 in every situation I carried the Shield. I carry appendix and it conceals well under all clothing including t-shirts. I'm 6'2'' and weigh 185. I carry it so much that I almost do not know it's there. It took about 2 weeks to get this point. It is not more than a month since I have been carrying the G19.

Wishoot likes this.
  8. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but can you still get gen 3, brand new (as in from the factory brand new?) And why stainless guide rod with ISMI springs?

Wishoot likes this.
  9. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

Sure you can find brand new gen3 guns out there, they are just older stock that have not been sold yet.
    Sorry can't help with with why the stainless guide rod & springs.

Wishoot likes this.
  10. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

In my non professional opinion Glock gen 4's are worth the price difference. If only for the redesigned mag release and the interchangeable backstraps.

Wishoot likes this.
  11. les snyder

CrOwb4r... the guide rod thing comes from my early association with a 1911 for USPSA... I used a captured spring system... I removed the lips at the rear of the slide spring tunnel so the spring plug could come out rearward... with the slide locked back, the guide rod could me marked and drilled so a "L" shaped clip could be inserted.. with the stop released, the slide could be removed and the spring and guide came out as a unit... when I switched to the Glock platform, I noticed that the plastic guide rod had impact marks where it set in the frame, so switched to a hardened stainless rod for it too...I do not use a captured system with the Glock, as it is easy enough to remove the un captured spring....With the 1911s I tried every new spring gizmo that came on the market.... variable rate, square wire, etc, and when ISMI provided their chrome silicon shot peened springs as prizes for larger events, I picked up one, I've been a customer since... pic of the captured 1911 system

[​IMG]

Wishoot likes this.
  12. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

I'm not a fan of the M&P's I had two full size 9mm's Sold both and I dont like to sell guns... Replaced it with a G19 much happier... Yes the shield is not a full size gun, but its still a M&P, pass...

I have a G26, 19 and 17. The 19 would be my go to gun out of the 3 (but I have many other's)

Wishoot likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Were they stock?

S&W (more or less) admitted that the triggers on the non-shield M&Ps were junk and upgraded them recently. The Shield apparently already had a better one.

Stock for stock before the recent update, I'll agree that the Glock is a better gun just because the trigger feels like a trigger. I haven't used an after-market trigger or the new "enhanced" trigger that comes on M&Ps now....but the PC trigger in the M&P is at least on par with Glock IMVHO.

It's still too heavy, but I think most pistol triggers are too heavy for competition or recreation....I haven't been in an adrenaline dump situation yet (other than a shot timer), so I'll reserve judgement on that (hopefully forever) and just say it's a matter of preference. I've always preferred triggers basically as light as possible (with regard to mechanical safety and competition rules).

Wishoot likes this.
  14. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

The first one was stock. The second was not. The trigger was modified by a well known local smith.

I just was not happy. I wanted to like it. In fact I was going to make it my idpa gun. But I just never was wowed with the recent S&W guns. That solidified it. While I have not shot the shield. I have handled it and I'm not impressed.

Now. All that said and with me owing 3 glocks. I'm not a glock fan boy either. But I think my g19 is a good solid work horse. I used it for idpa. Three gun and I can carry it as well. Though my current idpa gun is the g17 as gun size is not an issue for that.

Wishoot likes this.
  15. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Unless we're talking about a super high end 1911, sure most guns could have a better trigger. If you spend all day shooting a nice Wilson Combat pistol and have a Glock handed to you, most people will dislike the trigger, comparatively.

It's a relative... I have a newer Shield. The stock trigger to me is acceptable. Predictable break and reset, very accurate far beyond what it needs to be.

It's all personal preference. Sure Glock wins with capacity but for me the Shield was just a better fit.

Wishoot likes this.
  16. les snyder

re:comparative trigger pull... after 25 or so year of using a 1911 with generally 3 1/2# triggers, it took me about 6 matches of 120 rounds each to transition... I shoot a relatively stock (-) factory trigger on my G34, with similar after market connectors in my other Glocks

Wishoot likes this.
  17. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

It's also a matter of what you can and want to deal with. I /can/ shoot good groups with a bad trigger....just like everybody who knows how to shoot can.

It's faster and easier with a good one, for me, because I learned on extremely crisp and light triggers and am still spoiled beyond belief (seriously imagine a 6oz trigger with total travel on the order of microns for rifles or a trigger you can blow on to fire for pistols....then shoot 50,000+ rounds on them before you fire anything else).

I think the PC trigger is good enough because it's in the same ballpark as most "real pistol" triggers without any obvious "this feeling means that pulling the trigger mechanically causes the barrel to move" defects. It's not good. But short of a $5000+ custom, I'm not convinced good exists in real pistol triggers.

For me...what this means is that I need to make myself love my old colt revolver with it's clean but insanely heavy DA pull so those little muscles just pull fifty times harder than they want to and still move smoothly.

As for 19/42 vs Shield, I think the decision, in the context of first world edc, probably boils down to mild preference things (which bad grip/trigger/etc. works better for you), capacity vs. size, and something like brand loyalty.

I'm not convinced reliability differences are really there. I'm not convinced one is harder to service than the other. And I'm pretty sure perceived accuracy differences just relate to their size and weight.

I'm not convinced that one is objectively better out of the box (except that glock stock sights are just terrible). I'm not convinced that one has meaningfully more accessories or aftermarket upgrades.

And, I'm not convinced any price difference matters in the grand scheme of owning and becoming and staying proficient with a pistol.

I am convinced that based on those little preference things....I'd buy a 9c and an Apex trigger over either. But, I also already own 4 holsters and 5 or 6 magazines that would work with it....which is already more than the price of any of these guns.

Wishoot likes this.
  18. Rusty412

Rusty412 Loaded Pockets

Hahaha!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  19. Damn_Yankee

Damn_Yankee Loaded Pockets

What appendix rig are you using?

20. mbakes

mbakes Loaded Pockets

Galco Tuck-N-Go and. Kydex holster but prefer the Galco.