1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on lower-priced Casios

Discussion in 'Watches' started by pduds, Jul 19, 2014.

1. pduds

pduds Loaded Pockets

Hi all. I am looking for a good, serviceable watch in the sub $80 price range. My 2 strong preferences are small(er) face and tide display. certainly not a face as big as the bigger G Shocks. I was looking at the Casio WS210H-1AVCF but some reviewers seem to think it's cheaply made. It has all my dream features though-- it's solar-powered too!

I am willing to upgrade to a pricier G Shock or similar if it's going to last longer and be more durable. any opinions would be welcome. also opinions from people who have actually used the tide data feature would be helpful as well.

2. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I have a super cheap Casio, $20 range, that gets serious abuse and it's still in great shape. I can't image the build quality on the one you're looking at is that cheap if this thing is so solid. Maybe get it, check it out and return it if you don't like it? It could be that it's made with lighter weight plastics or something.
    All of the Casio watches I've owned have been great and held up well.

Medeiros likes this.
  3. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

You could also look at the 5600 series.. Some of those come with tide display.. But no solar.. They are alot thinner and low profile than some of the bigger g-shocks
    [​IMG]
    Pictures stolen from they web

Southpaw and AK Adventurer like this.
  4. lauchaAA

lauchaAA Loaded Pockets

+1 on the glx5600. Hard to go wrong with G-shock.

I have been using a casio w753 as my beater watch and it has held up a lot of abuse (Sand, salt water, heavy rains, rust, laboratory chemicals, falls, etc) and still working great. So don’t worry about durability.

I took it with me when I went to Brazil for work. I was working as a waiter at the beach for 12/13hs a day so I had the opportunity to see how well the tide graph works, and turns out it works great.

L.-

Last edited by lauchaAA, Jul 19, 2014
    AK Adventurer likes this.
  5. pduds

pduds Loaded Pockets

Is there a site out there with a full listing of G shocks? there is a product finder on Casio's site but doesn't seem to list all models. I want
    o Tide table
    o Solar powered a plus
    o Small watch face a plus

the 2nd two don't seem to come hand in hand, except on a g-lide GWX5600C-7, which is in white (I want grey or black). there is 1 Japan import but it is almost twice as much.

6. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

7. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

I rocked this setup on a recent trip around Europe because I wanted a good timekeeper I wouldn't cry if I lost.
    [​IMG]
    (photo not mine)

I didn't lose it, and it worked great. You can track a second time zone or current time while using the stopwatch or countdown timer using the circular display in the upper left.

It's only $20, feather light, tough enough for swimming, running, or working out, and it looks like some kind of spy computer on your wrist. On the downside it's pure plastic, including the "glass," so I suspect that when the ten year battery runs out you'll bin it rather than try to bring it back to life.

Medeiros likes this.
  8. BigPony

BigPony Empty Pockets

I have the DW 6900 and it is around that price range and awesome!

9. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cheap Casios have a good reputation for being tough. I haven't abused my only cheap Casio but it seems fairly sturdy for the ~$20 it costs, then again it's the classic calculator watch so I don't wear it when I'm working on something that it will probably get smacked around on. That's what G-Shocks are for.
    The DW5600 isn't a huge watch, it's quite thin and small compared to the rest of the G-Shock line. It actually looks a tad small on my 6.5 inch wrist if that helps you at all.

10. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Sound thinking...

11. pduds

pduds Loaded Pockets

Well after trying a lot of Casios on in stores, I decided that the lower-priced ones suffered from poor bands, bad backlight (they often have a single side light as opposed to 'Indiglo' style lighting), or just plan ugly looks. I went with a $45 Timex. the brand has served me well before, Indiglo is very nice to have, and I already know the Timex interface so nothing new for my brain to pick up.

I probably eventually will get a Casio solar/atomic, they are just too cool. for now thiugh I need a good summer beater watch for kayaking, hiking, and working out.

thanks for everyone's input

thatotherguy likes this.