1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on EDCing only a Swiss Army Knife(s)?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bj_key2003, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Sorry for off topic, but the first thing I thought about after reading this was:
    "Dang, Boston is so rough this guy needs a bigger blade."
    :D

2. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

LMAO.... I did an edit to clarify.

Thanks.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  3. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Tinker (right?) and BM... nice combination.

4. Redneck Bear

Of you people who have (experience with) both the Farmer and the Forester - which one do you prefer for forest walks and work and stuff?

5. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

To bring this thread up to current days, everybody now wants a custom high-end folder. Blades these days can easily fetch $500-$1000 or more. I haven't jumped on that bandwagon but I typically carry 3 knives (one being SAK) at a time and that won't change anytime soon. Why? Because I want to. That's what this forum and others do to you. We all enable each other to buy more knives and I'm OK with that. Do I need to buy another knife? Nope. Will I? Most likely. :help:

And I just ordered another knife...

Last edited by Gary Gross, Feb 8, 2017
    #165 Gary Gross, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    baccar-3, Shike and Redneck Bear like this.
  6. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I carry these 3.
    I only take my Super Tinker when I go camping.
    Mora in bag; sometimes on belt.
    Kershaw 1776 in front pocket.
    Multi tool and flashlight on belt, sometimes; otherwise in bag.:cool:

[​IMG]DSCF0344 by ?, on Flickr

Redneck Bear likes this.
  7. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

it depends on what you want. A knife is 2 things to me.. a tool and a weapon. Only carrying a swiss army knife does not really answer both roles. I like swiss army knives and often carry a cadet but I am never without a decent sized lock blade knife. Its sort of like these people who are fine with having a little yorkie dog. I have always had a dog that can also serve as a deterrent guard dog. There is certainly nothing wrong with a yorkie but if that's all you got, you are missing out of half the purpose.

jcombs and baccar-3 like this.
  8. Redneck Bear

I'm curious, does any of you carry your SAK in a neck pouch? I didn't really thing about one before but having bought Vic Pioneer recently (nub removed) I realized I could carry that in a small leather pouch on my neck ... and I don't know where to get that and how bad an idea that is! :)

9. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I carried a SAK for many years, since i was about 15. I kept swapping out many different models over the years. I eventually purchased a Swiss Champ XLT. I carried that knife/tool exclusively for about 12 years. Last year, i discovered this site and a few others that introduced me to the idea of EDC. This caused me to re-evaluate what i carry. The swiss champ has enough tools to pretty much take care of any situation that i could run into, and in all honesty, some days i think about going back to just carrying the swiss champ.

I stopped carrying the swiss champ and reduced my SAK to a Huntsman, in conjunction with various other tools. At first i carried a Skeletool and i fell in love with it. It was the first knife i owned that had a pocket clip and could be opened and closed with one hand. Currently, i carry my skeletool in a belt pouch, as well as a leatherman surge....having full size pliers are incredibly handy. I have been carrying various Kershaw folders lately, i really like the one handed operation and the speedsafe flipper action. No matter what, i'll never not carry a SAK. I use the toothpick and tweezers fairly frequently, as well as the scissors. I also love the very thin, sharp blades that they offer. I could get by with just the huntsman or swiss champ, but i would really miss the one handed operation, pocket clip and locking blade.

10. GlockandBalls

GlockandBalls Empty Pockets

Great thread! Yes a SAK will suffice for most tasks. I need a pocket clip though so I like that alox mod I saw on page 2. Another great option that not many people know about is the discontinued Leatherman Sideclip. You can get one for around $100 on the bay. Small, mighty handy and I love the pocket clip. Here are 2 pics for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mrscott

mrscott Empty Pockets

My classic Victorinox gets used much more frequently than any of my other bits. It's tiny but it usually does the job I need it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye Loaded Pockets

Something like this?

[​IMG]

I'm surprised the 130mm Ranger series does not get more interest here.
    Sadly, the versions with the pocket clip are out of production.

Size does matter, even more for the saw than the blade:

[​IMG]

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

I only edc a SAK or sometimes I Leatherman but no dedicated folder. I do have a fixed blade knife on me in my work pants and when heading out in the woods or fishing. But in normal days the blade on a Mt is all I need. But I use it as a tool and have no need for a defense blade.

It's not failure if you learn something from it

14. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I always have a Swiss Army knife of some description with me. I have done for 50 years or so. They are probably the most useful knife ever made for general EDC.
    I don't see any value in carrying a knife as a weapon (except perhaps to get oneself into a whole world of trouble).

karlito and kottskrapa like this.
  15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

It depends what you do day to day I guess. Most days I EDC a cadet now. I don't really notice the weight, it will cut into packaging, file a nail and tighten a loose screw. It can even partake in light prying! But that's my lot. If I'm likely to come across anything different I'll carry something beefier or carry a dedicated folder just for a change.

16. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. FA Tre
    • In Omnia Paratus

FA Tre Loaded Pockets

Any particular reason?

18. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

My biggest issue is the lack of a pocket clip and one hand opening. Those changes are what brought me to carrying pocket knives more than just when I knew I would be using them. Before that it was either a small traditional in your pocket or a Buck on a belt sheath. I think I've become too spoiled with being able to draw/open/cut/close/clip all in one hand in one fluid motion.

bryan123 and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  19. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I don't like SAKs. No one hand opening, no pocket clip, no locking blade. All of that adds up to impractical for my uses. SAKs work well for some, but not for me.

20. FA Tre
    • In Omnia Paratus

FA Tre Loaded Pockets

Fair enough. We each have our own needs i suppose.