1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on EDCing only a Swiss Army Knife(s)?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bj_key2003, Sep 11, 2013.

1. GlockandBalls

GlockandBalls Empty Pockets

Excellent points. When I NEED my knife and one hand is holding something that I can't set down and/or urgency is required, a SAK just doesn't fit the bill. I reach for my folder and handle the situation in one fell swoop. This happens often when on a job site, camping, on a boat, etc.. Still love a Cadet but its not my primary blade for EDC.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  2. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I use the blade on my Spirit far more than I ever expected but only when I can afford to use two hands.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Maybe one way of looking at SAK is as a versatile variant of a the 'traditional' knife. Think about it. Victorinox and Wenger began the production of SAK something like +100 years ago; Wikipedia lists the beginning in 1891. In my book, that makes them old enough (as a 'species') to be traditional. Sort of a stockman on uber steroids!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

When I carry my Supertinker or Cadet I always use a P7 suspension clip.

I wonder what percentage of P7 clips in current use are used with SAK's. I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage was pretty darn high.

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

My Pioneer hangs from a dangler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Sorry for an OT, but it sort of relates to the topic ... I EDC either a Farmer or a Pioneer + a Forester. All the knives had just been sharpened and all of the both shave (my arm) and pass the sheet-of-paper-cutting :) test ...

Today I'd been cutting some vegetables (tomato, cucumber ...) and I tried them all and I realized the smaller two cut much easier than the big one. Is that because of the Foresters blade is thicker?

7. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye Loaded Pockets

Plenty of SAKs with OHO and locking blades. Even one for boating. They seem to prefer to supply belt pouches instead of clips, though Wenger did make some with clips for a while.

A pocket clip would be an easy mod.

[​IMG]

Mr Thriven and Redneck Bear like this.
  8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

No, I don't just EDC a SAK. I very much prefer my frame lock knives. But, I do keep a SAK in each of my Winter jackets.

9. ScottieG59

ScottieG59 Loaded Pockets

I often carry a small cheap mult-tool in my jeans small pocket watch pocket. My SAK is in my bag and available when it is near, but I do not often carry it. I also carry a small set of tools in my bag, and they get more use than the SAK.

10. Rizzle O

Rizzle O Loaded Pockets

Monday thru Friday I only carry a Vic recruit with a steam light mini attached to the split ring. Only because some of the places I go don't allow locking knives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I'm carrying an Executive. If I need to do some heavy cutting chores, I'm grabbing my Mora. 99% can be handled with my pen knife, day to day.

O_G likes this.
  12. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

I agree with a lot of people here. My 93mm will perform about 99% of the chores on any given edc day. It just works. More times than not, I'm catching myself saying thank heavens I had a SAK with me. Very little do I say " thank heavens I had my spyderco" with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kottskrapa and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. jdcovington1122

jdcovington1122 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Does it all the time, love my pioneer!

14. jdcovington1122

jdcovington1122 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Posted the wrong picture, this one is a little better quality wise.

15. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

My Mercenary (Pioneer without nub :)) and Farmer (same mod - I find the nub to be a real :censored:).
    [​IMG]

I would like to know why I prefer EDCing the Pioneer to the Farmer. I really dont know why - the Farmer seems to be almost the same as the Pioneer and I prefer to have a woodsaw - still, I like having the Pioneer in my pocket much more ... BTW I compared the official values of these two knives and while I find the Farmer to be only slightly larger and slightly heavier, the difference in reality is 21%. :eek:
    Anyway, I usually EDC the Pioneer and I love it. When walking the dog I get the Farmer, when I have my bag I usually have the Pioneer on me and Farmer or Forester in the bag. And I don't feel underprepared. :)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. Mr Thriven

Mr Thriven Loaded Pockets

Agreed, although I prefer carrying more than one knife. When only one is feasible, however, I prefer my OH Trekker. Haven't done a clip mod yet, but that may wait until after my carbon fiber update.

17. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the problem is, there's a dearth of slim traditional SAKs w/ locking blades --- still kicking myself for losing a black Wenger Officer model w/ a locking blade. I'd give my interest in hell to find another --- the Ergo grip just doesn't appeal to me.

18. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

I mounted an older steel NiteIze eCLIPse on my Deluxe Tinker SAK. Massively uncomfortable due to the width of the knife. Much more comfortable on a belt dangler.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  19. Davidka

Davidka Loaded Pockets

Most of the time I just carry my Cybertool 41 SAK.

[​IMG]

Hangman likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I carried a Wenger SAK and nothing else for years and years. I still think that in most urban/suburban environments, and even out in the country on an average day, a SAK is the epitome of what to edc. And its not just SAK. Think of all the folks in prior generations (and many even today) who find if not a SAK then a stockman or a Barlow or the like are all that is really needed...!

Like many back in the 'day', my Dad carried a small pocket knife; basically a 'gimme' from some supplier with a penknife blade and one additional blade a bit larger. All he needed, together with a Sears 4-blade pocket screwdriver (the one that hangs on a keychain).

I could easily do the same. I just like my toys. LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Redneck Bear and WillAdams like this.