1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Benchmade Griptilian 550?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by gustophersmob, Mar 21, 2009.

1. gustophersmob

gustophersmob Loaded Pockets

Howdy! I was in a local knife shop and traded a couple of SOGs for a Benchmade Griptilian 550 (i think thats the #, it has the modified sheepsfoot blade with Oh hole 154CM). I've heard good things about the grips, but this is my first. I would've loved a mini, but all they had was full-size. It is a nicely made blade by all appearances, though. :woohoo:

What do you guys think of the grip in general and the sheepsfoot blade in particular?

Tony Sal likes this.
  2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

After joining the forum almost a year ago, I picked up a MiniGrip. Carried a LM for years and got out of the habit of carrying a dedicated knife. I carry the Mini always. I bought a full size and use it often, however the Mini is practical for EDC.

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

A good hardworking knife. Great value. The sheepsfoot blade is not terribly appealing to me but some people swear by it.

by the way:
    Solicitations for trade or other forms of commerce should be done in the marketplace only.

Edit: Thank you.

carrot
    EDC Forums Moderator
    :eek:o:

4. wenestvedt

wenestvedt Loaded Pockets

I love my Mini Griptilian. I have carried it for a couple of years now, after a cheap Gerber folder that I carried for about a decade. No comparison!

5. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

I love the Benchmade AXIS knives more than any other knife. For about $50 you really can't go wrong.

I EDC the Mini Grip 556 MDP (2nd one from top). My 550 HG just doesn't feel quite the same as the 556... like the blade is lighter and doesn't lockup with authority like the 556 MDP blade. Plus, I like the thumb stud more than the thumb hole. (I also really like the 16707 Recurve (top knife) but it is too nice to EDC).
    The full size Grip is just too big... that being said I have a Ritter Grip on the way... I want to actually hold one of these babies in the hand before passing final judgment.

[img width=640 height=480]http://pc-renew.com/Pictures/Benchmades.jpg[/img]

6. mercurial

mercurial Empty Pockets

Hey, I've got a 551 in my pocket right now with the black blade. Love them both, the modified sheepsfoot is a very useful utility blade, from box cutting to apple cutting.
    And like Coot sez, the Axis lock is the shizzle. Just so easy and fast to use.
    Cheers,
    mercurial

7. gustophersmob

Sorry about that, I even knew better! :shrug: I will edit the post, don't know what I was thinking.

I think the sheepsfoot blade may have the same kind of utility of a wharnclif (which is why I love the CLB wharcom). My biggest draw to that blade is the opening hole instead of thumbstuds. I know the axis lock is rock solid when open, but there doesn't feel like a lot of resistance to opening. I can imagine the thumbstuds cathing on my pocket when drawing, whereas the hole should be fine.

8. gustophersmob

Nice collection! I personally prefer the thumbhole, but it sounds as though you can't go wrong with any of them. I really like the idea of the Ritter, but it is just too much $ for me right now. BTW, what does the MDP designate?

9. gustophersmob

Yeah, I've seen the youtube videos of guys doing crazy fast stuff with them. Looks pretty cool, although I would never try it. I like all of my fingers too much! :p

10. CootShooter

MDP = Modified Drop Point

Ya know... after reading/replying to this post I have been playing around with the regular size grip (550HG) and I do in fact love the feel. It is too big for EDC for me as I work in an office. If I was an outdoor worker or LEO or some such, I think I would prefer the larger size. I will use it while hunting/fishing/camping/snowmobiling/etc.

550 HG (Regular size)
    [img width=640 height=480]http://pc-renew.com/Pictures/GripHand550.jpg[/img]

555 HG (Mini size)
    [img width=640 height=447]http://pc-renew.com/Pictures/GripHand555.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://pc-renew.com/Pictures/GripHand.jpg[/img]

11. WhiskeyDevil

WhiskeyDevil Empty Pockets

I have the the mini, full and fixed blade Grips as well as their Ritter equivalents. All of the knives are excellent. But it did take a while to get used to the 'plastic' feel of the handle. While more expensive, I prefer the Ritter in all versions. The blade is thicker, S30V steel and I'm partial to Drop Points and Flat Grind.

I was EDCing the mini Ritter for a while, but I work in a large corporate office setting and I was a bit concerned of people's reaction if I had to use it, having it confiscated by LEO, or just plain loosing it. The laws here are pretty strict (blade must be less than 3 inches, no opening assist of any kind, etc.).

For work, I now EDC the Ka-Bar mini-dozier (in blazing orange), while it is no Grip, the blade is smaller, overall smaller profile, it has it's place and for $16 I can afford to loose it.

12. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

The 550 is a great knife. 154 is great steel (mine was an older model in 440C). The thumb hole seems to be a preference thing. I love the thumbhole in my spydercos, but on the griptillian models, it doesn't seem to work as well for me. I mean it's still pretty easily opened one handed, but there was just something in the ergonomics that didn't sit well with me. Wasn't quite as intuitive for me. So, I ended up giving the knife to my father, and he carries it every day and loves it. Either way, all the Griptillians are great knives an a real value as well.

13. gustophersmob

Very nice comparison pics, thanks! O0

14. gustophersmob

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but I ordered a 555 mini-grip to compliment the 550 full size one. It got here today, and it is nice. :woohoo:

I had traded 2 SOGs to get the full-size, but wanted a mini which they didn't have, and was going to try to trade the full size for a mini. I decided to keep it and get the mini as well, and I'm glad I did!

I will probably make the mini my EDC, but give it to the wife when we go camping and carry the full size then.

Somehow, I need to fit my incredibly useful Wharcom into all of this too! :lolhammer:

15. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Opinions? The link in my sig might be a clue. :laugh: :p I prefer a big belly and beefy edge with a lot of steel behind it so it's the 551 for my EDC, but I'm always glad when others find and love these knives.

Both the RSK (552) and normal grip (551 et. al.) have a 0.115" thick blade. The blade geometry might make the Ritter seem thicker though: he likes a lot of metal behind the edge too. :knuppel2:

The studs are a bit slimmer than the width of the handle, so snagging hasn't been a big problem for me. It only makes sense that the thumbhole would snag even less, though.

16. CootShooter

I have not had any problems with the thumbstuds snagging on anything... I love the feel of the studs when using the thumb-flick method to open the blade as opposed to the hole.

I just got my full size Ritter Grip... and now I'm already on the prowl for a Ritter mini. I'm sure my EDC will be the mini Ritter and my camp/hunt/fish/outdoors knife will be the full size. Wow is it nice. The extra girth in the blade just makes it swing open and lock up with a little more UMPHH and man does it feel sweet! The stonewash blade is dead sexy too.

hehehehehehehehehe
    [img width=640 height=473]http://pc-renew.com/Pictures/Ritter.jpg[/img]

17. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Congrats, CootShooter! I do love the geometry of the Ritter, but it's a bit pricey for me to EDC. I use the basic grip cause it's good but cheap in case I lose or break it. Let us know how you like the mini! =)

I'm getting kinda off topic now, I'll stop. :-[

18. gustophersmob

those ritters are sweet! :smitten: they are just a bit too pricey for me though... :brickwall:

19. KlimateKontrol

KlimateKontrol Empty Pockets

I have been working with knives for 2 years now. I would say those girptilians(besides multi-tools) are the best bang for the buck. I have seen co-workers put a zip tie in the hole to act as the wave like emersons. also some replaced the thumb stud with a zip tie. I personally dont want a knive opening straight outta my pocket. We all had close calls with an emerson. you defiantly cant go wrong with a griptilian.