1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

opinions of 5.11 Push Pack or Maxped Fatboy as EDC bag???

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by hannism, Feb 8, 2009.

1. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

My apologies for not doing the review earlier. School and Life gets in the way.

This will be an unbiased review, and I will point out things I like and do not care for.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

This is an overview of things I carry. My EDC is still a work in progress.
    Streamlight M3Tactical Flashlight, Blackberry Curve 8310, pocket bible, ASP baton, OC Spray, Gerber Multitool, Tide Stain Removal Pen, Notebook, Cold Steel Ti-Lite, eyedrops, Glock 19, extra magazine, earplugs.

[​IMG]

This is a close up of the bag itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the two pics above, these are examples of the customization options available

[​IMG]

Pardon the Bic pencils, I was highlighting where Molle Gear could be added.

[​IMG]

More Molle gear. Also, notice the thick padded cushion. It's comfortable.

[​IMG]

Hidden pocket for weapons. Note the velcro on the inside. It supports 5.11's Back Up Belt System.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of my Glock 19, using the Back Up Belt System.

[​IMG]

Padding on the back makes it easy to carry heavy loads. There is a velcro strap where you can attach it to a belt. Although I find it to be a little clumsy. Your mileage may vary.

[​IMG]

Using the Molle attachment or adding a water bottle could hinder your ability to draw a weapon. I pointed a flashlight beam on the zipper strap. I honestly intend to cut that off, and replace it with a longer piece made of paracord. Trying to unzip that small zipper would be a disadvantage if your life depended on it.

[​IMG]

My biggest gripe. Being outdoors, if you carry anything sensitive or electronic, your gear could be in danger. According to 5.11, they did this intentionally so if you did get wet, the holes would drain out any water.

Overall, this is a good bag. It's not perfect, but using common sense, you can improve on this good design. The only other thing I would consider doing to the bag is spraying it with a polyurethane treatment to make it a little bit stiffer.

I'm still glad I bought this bag. At $50, it's a very fair price for a good, dependable piece of gear.

EDIT: Show more pictures of pockets

[​IMG]

Look at the light. That's a hidden pocket on the Push Pack, held down by velcro.

[​IMG]

This is a close-up of the pocket.

[​IMG]

Another view of the outside pocket

[​IMG]

Main compartment

[​IMG]

Another view of main compartment.

[​IMG]

First outer pocket on the flap

[​IMG]

Top pocket on outer flap, good to stash items that are small and you need to get to fast like sunglasses or bluetooth headset

[​IMG]

According to 5.11, you can put a tactical folder there.

[​IMG]

Another area to clip something like a bic pencil. Notice the padded shoulder strap. It is removeable

2. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

As far as I know the 5.11 SERE bag has not been discontinued. It has always been a dealer exclusive product for Quartermaster Uniforms. They still have it in stock, and for the fantastic price of $34.99. I've had the SERE bag for over a year and its held up very well and has proven quite functional, especially with the larger main compartment (vs. PUSH pack / Jumbo) and full MOLLE covering.

5.11 SERE Bag at Quartermaster

My review of the 5.11 SERE Bag here on EDCforums

3. 1ofmany

1ofmany Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I like that holster. Where did you get it?

4. UAinfidel

UAinfidel Empty Pockets

While I haven't handled the PUSH, I would recommend that if you're funds allow you to, go ahead and ge the maxped jumbo.

Whatever they treat the material with is amazing. It is fairly stiff, however I hiked through some damp Alabama woods after a good rain and had marks all over my brand new pack -and all it took was a wet cloth to wipe away the stains. The treatment is worth the money IMO.

Like I said, I haven't handled the PUSH, so I can't make any assumptions on it. It may be a great bag, but I can't give any insight on it.

5. mikeindallas

mikeindallas Empty Pockets

Thanks for the good review and all the pics, very helpful :roof:

6. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

7. Gray_Pierce

Gray_Pierce Loaded Pockets

there's a store here in Cebu City, Philippines that sells 511 products and the first thing that I really liked was the PUSH Pack...compared to the Maxped jumbo, it's made of a "softer" material, it has more or less the same size EXCEPT that the main compartment is more organized and there are 2 bottle holders, 1 in either side, and it's much cheaper than the MaxPed Jumbo...the shoudler strap is not as wide as that of the Jumbo...overall it is a great bag...if you want to be unique and stand out from the rest of the people who uses the Maxped Jumbo, the PUSH Pack is a "refreshing" product in the EDC world...

8. stitch_paradox

stitch_paradox Loaded Pockets

I have the Maxped Fatboy and I really like it. It's been mentioned already but the the things that I like in the Fatboy is the drawstring inside the bag, the material used is really good, and the strap is quite broad, just the way I like it.

9. Tomcat_AL200

Tomcat_AL200 Loaded Pockets

I'd say PUSH, its more modular and better made with better customer support in my expierence