1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinions needed.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dml24, Nov 13, 2013.

1. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Still looking for my first weapon.
    On the short list, the Glock 17 Gen 3 or 4, Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm , Ruger P95 9mm, and.Wilson Combat Spec Ops 9MM.

I have read online review of all the above guns, and in particular the Ruger P95 9mm is applealing due to the low purchase price, decent mag capacity, and from what I have read it is as reliable as Glocks or S&W.

Does anyone here have experience with the Ruger P95, or other weapons on this list?
    Opinions, comments, and puns are all welcomed.

2. Carl Belcher

Carl Belcher Banned

As far as 9mm's go I've shot quite a few but honestly I've only come across the Glocks from your list. Almost all modern handguns should be very reliable minus a couple exceptions, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would look into ergonomics, trigger, and shooting comfort. All Glocks are very thick so if you have small hands they may feel too big. I personally would be very hard pressed to pony up for a Wilson, just too proud of themselves for my taste. I've head enough rumors about the Ruger P95 quality to say skip it and look at the SR9, which is pure awesome. I also think for an entry level Sig you might look at the P250 it's modular so if you want a different caliber just get another barrel and drop it in. Out of your list I would say Glock but I recommend the S&W M&P best gun I've ever owned. Of course this is just my .02$ take it for what you will.

keeper likes this.
  3. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

All pretty good choices.

I'm sure you've heard it said before, but I'll say it again: Find a gun store that rents and shoot as many as possible.
    Ruger's are great guns (I have 4) and they have probably the best customer service in the industry.

4. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I wish this were true but it is not. Definitely shoot your way through the list if possible and see what works for you, but don't take reliability as a given. Read plenty of range reviews to gauge whether others have had issues. Just make sure to judge what you read on aggregate unless a particular review is from a trusted source because all sorts of factors can contribute to failures including the skill of the shooter.

5. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Wishoot & TARFU, thanks for the advice.

I have been able to shoot a few weapons and am learing that I'll need to shoot a few hundred more rounds, (getting expensive now), to learn a lot more about handguns. That is one reason I am looking to others who have shot these guns for comments and recommendattions. Left on my own, I could shoot a thousand rounds or more and be out some money and still undecided.

Not looking to be gun collector, just into self defense.

My wife and I are signing up for a gun safety course class for early 2014. After that then we will purchase our first weapon.

6. Carl Belcher

Carl Belcher Banned

If you are worrying about your new gun having reliability issues your are buying the wrong gun.

7. RossCHardy

RossCHardy Loaded Pockets

My father and I carried Glock 19s for quite a while before moving over to compact .45s (he got the 30, I got the 36, because I have the slim delicate hands of a woman, apparently). I would recommend the 19 over the 17 if you want a 9mm, because it is that much smaller and easy to carry around. If you're trying to do a CCW, that will matter. If you want something to stay beside your bedside table, you know, get whatever you want.
    I have had the pleasure of shooting Sigs before, and they shoot like dreams every time. But they are pricey.

I have nothing but good things to say about any of the Glocks I've owned--they've never failed when it wasn't my fault, if that makes any sense. Solid, solid guns.

Rattlecan likes this.
  8. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

I carried the P95 for several years and had zero issues with it. Very reliable and combat accurate. That being said, you'd do well with any of those.

9. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Even if I owned all of those guns and fired them regularly, I wouldn't be able to say which one is right for you. Agree that the best way would be to shoot your way through that short list. Barring that, it's down to ergonomics. Go to a shop and get your hands on them. Check that you can reach all the controls properly and general comfort in your hand. Then face in a safe direction, choose a target and hold the gun at low ready, close your eyes and raise the gun to firing position. The one that comes up on target with the sights aligned is the one you want.

Have your wife do the same. It may or may not be the same gun but if it isn't, you are either going to end up with two guns or one gun that doesn't work instinctively for either of you, but is maybe a close compromise for you both.

Glad to hear you're taking a class but let me encourage you to also get some private training with an instructor for both you and your wife. It will cost you a bit but will be well worth it. There's nothing like stopping a bad habit before it starts.

10. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

I love my Ruger SR9

11. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Well, I own a Springfield XD45c, M&P Shield, and Ruger SR9c. So, I think I bought the right guns from that perspective.

But, that wasn't the point of my comment. You said reliability doesn't need to be a consideration in most cases when making a buying decision on a modern firearm. I'm saying it does - particularly if you're purchasing the firearm for CCW and or LEO off-duty since you're could literally be betting your life on it. Too many firearms have been released, even in the last 5-10 years, that are finicky on ammo, must be modified to ensure reliability, have long break-in periods, etc, etc.

BubbaFett likes this.
  12. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

I have a Glock now and love it. It is 40 cal though not 9, but I've shot them in 9. I had a Ruger p-91 and it was a very good pistol. When i worked for the BOP they had a Ruger in 9mm, I think it was the P-95, it functioned fine with the use and abuse it got both as a training pistol at glynco and daily abuse at an FCI. The other two I don't know that much about. Really comes down to what feels best for you while shooting it. Obviously for most price plays a factor but don't let saving a few bucks make you choose a gun you like better over one that doesn't feel as good.

13. Renegador

Renegador Loaded Pockets

I personally have found the Sig and Ruger to be quite reliable and accurate. The Glock pretty much depends on how it feels in your hands, because if you don't like holding it how are you going to practice. They never feel right to me, so I don't bother shooting them. The Sig definitely is a quality firearm.

On an aside, I would also recommend testing the S&W M&P as it is a well-built reliable gun (as long as you switch out that terrible 2-stage trigger of course, my preference) as well as the CZ-75B. Don't see many recommendations for CZ around here, but those guns are well-built, cheap, and incredible nail-drivers. This 75B model in particular is an excellent gun. Had the opportunity to fire one several times and have never been disappointed. I would recommend trying one out if you are ever at a range renting guns.

Rattlecan likes this.
  14. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

As a newer shooter that is most likely sharing a weapon for night stand use primarily with potential for CCW use later if needed, the Sig 2022 is probably your best bet. The SA/DA trigger has a substantial weight for the first squeeze of 10lb. and a crisp 4.5lb. on follow up. Nice compromise for a newer shooter as opposed to getting a firearm with a manual safety like the Ruger(also SA/DA like the SIG) or the Wilson and more forgiving than the Glock with a 5.5lb factory trigger.

The SIG has a bigger aftermarket for everything but the Glock, so holsters and other accessories you might want in the future offer more diversity for you and your wife. It will have a wider audience of buyers than the Ruger for resale if you decide long-term this weapon is not for you. It is also not so extreme in price like the Wilson that seeing a return on your investment due to buyer's remorse probably won't be seen.

While it can be expensive, you really need to shoot each of your contenders for purchase as does your wife. You will spend more having to buy a different gun because it doesn't fit well for both of you. Plus it is still rounds down range and it provides experience for you in learning what does and doesn't work best.

15. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I checked the price at Wilson tactical & it was obvious that these are premium weapons. I will have to stick with main stream names.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

16. Grav
    • +1 Supporter

Grav Loaded Pockets

I would definitely say shoot them if you can. I'm going through the same process right now and was between the Sr9 and the 2022. Held them both at the shop and thought the sr9 felt better in my hand and was pretty sure I was going to go with that. I just went out today and shot both at my range and it turned out the 2022 was much more comfortable to shoot and I was much more on target with it. Shooting the two absolutely changed the decision for me. Now I'm ppb to find a good deal on the 2022. Many of the ranges in my area will rent out pistols and usually have all the popular models stocked.

Sent from myself from the future using Tapatalk 5

17. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

For what it's worth, if I were looking for a single do it all gun in 9mm, I wouldn't look at anything but an M&P 9 full size, Glock 19, or Glock 17, in no particular order. These firearms are widely used and proven in service and high round count applications. You may be well served by one of the other choices mentioned, but none of them have been proven to the same extent that these three examples have, and at the end of the day, if you really only want one, don't waste your time beta testing manufacturer designs for them. I do not intend to speak I'll of any manufacturer, if I wanted a revolver, Ruger is one of the absolute top choices... Sig makes the 226, 220 etc.. which are iconic and classic pistols.... but none of those manufacturers have had resounding success in the area of modern polymer service pistols. Glocks and M&Ps are durable reliable, reasonably priced, end-user serviceable, and well supported by holster makers, good warranty support, and after market parts...from the sounds of it, they are exactly what you are looking for.

18. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

This pretty much articulates why I chose the Glock 19. I shot a lot of others including M&P (close second), XD, etc (rented/borrowed 10-12 pistols altogether, and glad I did). The more I shoot/handle my Glock, the happier I am with it.

Having said that, since you are looking at the Sig 2022 I'll say my mom and dad picked one up recently and are happy with it so far.

Bottom line is rent, borrow, contrast, compare. I think it'll pay off in being satisfied you made the right choice (and have a head start on buying a second gun if/when).

Edit: Researching online can help too, especially finding out differences between the guns you're considering and finding out what the implications are (safety/no safety, SA/DA, SAO, DAO, etc.).