1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Opinel no 7

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Daveho, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

well gents,
    I’m thinking of adding an Opinel to the knife pile, any of you guys carry one or have experience with them?
    Love to hear your opinions.
    My EDC tends to have 2 knives one fixed and one folder, both around 3” blade but the fixed rarely comes out in public for leagal reasons here in Australia, still when something more rigorous needs doing it’s good to have it.

2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

My Opinel #7 is not a heavy duty knife. I would consider it light duty perfect for some food prep etc. I purchased the knife because of the locking mechanism. To me the handle is more comfortable than a rectangular knife handle.

The size and shape is the only issue I see with everyday Carry. If I did, I would make or purchase a leather case for front pocket carry to protect the wood handle from key scratches.

#2 garza, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Moose, Water-Rat and Daveho like this.
  3. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip, for me my keys are only my car and house key, I keep nothing besides a “remove before flight” tag on them as I hate unnecessary additional weight on keys so it could easily have its own pocket easily.
    For day to day use it seems like a great option, opening parcels and food prep plus it’s not threatening if you buy a normal sized one.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have both a No.6 and a No.8 . I second the opinion of @garza above. Opinel are not heavy duty knives as we see them in today's world, despite their having originated as a peasant knife. With their thin blades -- either the carbon steel or the SS versions -- they are great slicers; really nice for food prep, slicing through string and paper wrappers, etc.

I sometimes carry the No. 6 as an EDC; generally in a leather slip case in my pocket -- which is how I carry most of my traditional knives. The No. 8 stays in a dedicated zip lock together with a light weight cutting board; both in my general use edc bag -- these are used for slicing fruit etc as a snack when out and about.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose likes this.
  5. Silvaticus

Silvaticus Loaded Pockets

I think they are great, my favorite traditional pattern! I love my modern folders, but carry an Opinel like 50% of the time.

The wooden handle is light, comfortable, and has a lot of character. And the blade cuts like a laser. They are not "hard use", meaning sharpened pry bars, but they sure can take a beating. And since you carry an additional fixed anyway, I'd say an Opinel sounds like a great choice.

My favorite is the #8, but you can't go wrong with a 7 or 6 either - have fun!

Gesendet von meinem D5503 mit Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Daveho like this.
  6. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I have a number 8 that resides in my gear for travel/day hikes.
    I keep it, a superlight weight cutting board (plastic mat), and a corkscrew together in a pouch.
    The pouch has swerved well for when the better half wants wine and cheese and we are out in nature.
    I find that the 6,7, and 8 are sizes that work well for me.
    I have a 7 that I call my garden knife.
    Works great for opening bags of stuff, cutting string/twine and other general cutting chores.
    Due to their price point, I'm not too concerned if it gets dirty or lost.
    But even though they are a good frugal choice for general cutting jobs, I don't abuse it.

Moose, Moshe ben David and Daveho like this.
  7. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

They strike me as a knife that people bond with a bit and just had a soft spot for.
    Folder wise I have several offerings from CRKT, spyderco and Ontario all of which are great and serve their pourpose but you do get looks here from some with even a modest tactical folder

Moose likes this.
  8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I have a number 6 in olivewood. I like that there are a few different options for the wood on the handle. The number 7 is even available with various things engraved on the handle. These are friction folders there's no spring or anything, just a blade and the virobloc lock system. It's a thin blade that is great for food prep purposes. They fit well in the 5th pocket of jeans or wedged against a wallet or other such thing in a pocket. It's just a nice looking blade that is a great value for the price.

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

Own a 7 and an 8 with spear point. They have a proven track record and has been said, cut exceedingly well. Not my first choice for edc but you can't go wrong if you look after it. I carved the handle on one which gave it character and made it more comfy for my hands. The Walnut handle ones look gorgeous.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

...and ladies, Daveho.

I have several Opinel. A sky-blue No 7, a walnut No 8, a No 12 saw. One in walnut and one in light blue. They are wonderful knives - scalpel sharp and a sturdy locking mechanism. My recommendation is to not get the knives with the locking collars wet because they can warp. If this happens, then I understand it can be worked on through placing in an oven to shrink the wood and by sanding and working with it.

No 7 Sky-Blue
    [​IMG]

No 8 Walnut
    [​IMG]

No 12 Saw
    [​IMG]

11. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Pardon me you are quite right, I wandered here after my talking straight razors with some guys on my wet shaving forum and hadn’t thought about it, please accept my apologies.
    Thanks for the tip on the locking collars, I typically use my knives for food prep and general everyday things, not often taking down terrorist cells or felling 1000 year old trees but I wonder if a light bees wax based water proofing solution may be worth making to protect the more vulnerable arias like hinge and blade slot?

Bulldog87 and Lellobeetle like this.
  12. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Opinel has an outdoor model which is made with a polymer handle instead of wood if the knife handle would frequently be wet.

Lellobeetle, Moose and Daveho like this.
  13. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

They look god ugly though, but I may chuck one in my fishing bag

Lellobeetle and garza like this.
  14. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I will take ugly to have the right knife for the task which is a choice I seldom have to make.

Lellobeetle and Moshe ben David like this.
  15. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I’ll happily choose a pretty knife for my daily and take an appropriate fixed blade for aquatic activities, no real benefit to having a folder in that context

Lellobeetle likes this.
  16. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I've "painted" one with Thompson WaterSeal, and a buddy of mine used a waterproofing spray.
    Can't tell you how well the WaterSeal held up because it was "stolen" by a buddy who then in turn had it "stolen" by his uncle..

Lellobeetle, Daveho and garza like this.
  17. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I picked up a no7 carbon and took it straight to the stone then the strop, properly sharp now.
    As I use my edc knife for food prep I have forced a patina on the blade.
    I can see why people love these knives

Lellobeetle likes this.
  18. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

So I’ve been using this knife for 2 days and I have chucked several knives up on eBay as a result.
    I have my lake 111, rat 1, m16 and swisscard etc all on the bay here in Aus to get rid of the now unneeded knives

Lellobeetle likes this.
  19. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I too have several Opies. I prefer the 7 to the 8 size, it seems more pockeatable to me.
    I “discovered” them in Paris in the late ‘90’s and brought a handful of them in assorted sizes home in my carry-on (I never check a bag) and still have them.

Of course Ive added others since then.....

In fact I bought my wife a limited edition Ryslee #8 for a stocking-stuffer this year since its got some great looking french food on the handle and she bakes some :censored: baguettes!

Great piece of living cutlery history those Opinels.

Lellobeetle and Daveho like this.
  20. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I am genuinely astounded that more don’t carry them, sure there are more tacticool knives out there but really a better knife for day to day civilian life one couldn’t ask for.
    Where I to be going bush however I would chuck a fixed blade in the pack but that’s more a right tool for the job statement than anything

Lellobeetle likes this.